First timer.organic indoor grow.low budget

razorsracing

whats up everyone..been checkin the web site out i like what i see..so ive decided to start my own lil grow. its my first time so any help will do.:thanks:

here is sum pics of what i'm working with....suggestions?
on 09/02/09 they will be two week.

took these today 08/31/09:
S7300264-1.jpg

S7300260.jpg

S7300257.jpg

S7300265-1.jpg

S7300261-1.jpg

the lights that are on right now.
S7300263.jpg

i have this set up sitting around from a friend. wanted to know when would be a good time to start using them? let me know thanks. and i also would like to know how many hours or lite and dark would be good for me right now>?
S7300266-1.jpg

S7300267.jpg

thanks for lookin ill be updating weekly. any info would help thanks to everyone!:thanks::goodjob:

Re: first timer..organic indoor grow..low budget

oh ya and the lights aren't that far away i had just set it down on top like that. this is how they are..

S7300268.jpg

S7300269.jpg

i thought u get help on this site?

This has become a busy place with a lot of grow journals, so sometimes it takes a bit before someone chimes in.

Your CFL's should be good for about a couple weeks or so depending on how long you want to keep your plants in veg.

When you grow from seed, you can do the entire grow with HID from beginning to end actually, you just have to keep your lights up higher when dealing with seedlings and young plants. I don't do clones yet, but from what I've seen, they do a lot better with CFL lights until strong enough to handle HID.

This has become a busy place with a lot of grow journals, so sometimes it takes a bit before someone chimes in.

Your CFL's should be good for about a couple weeks or so depending on how long you want to keep your plants in veg.

When you grow from seed, you can do the entire grow with HID from beginning to end actually, you just have to keep your lights up higher when dealing with seedlings and young plants. I don't do clones yet, but from what I've seen, they do a lot better with CFL lights until strong enough to handle HID.

thanks alot man. i was about to give up.haha jp. but ya thanks for that info i put the hids on lastnight and it really helped them shot up but if its gonna make them stay a small plant id wanna put the other light back would that be safe?

about to update pics with how i had it lastnight.:goodjob:

i also wanted to know what a good way to water them is. or every how long.? thanks alot guys. i love this site more an more everyday. lol

thanks alot man. i was about to give up.haha jp. but ya thanks for that info i put the hids on lastnight and it really helped them shot up but if its gonna make them stay a small plant id wanna put the other light back would that be safe?

about to update pics with how i had it lastnight.:goodjob:

Not sure I'm following you. Why would using an HID make them stay small?

You can give them all the lights you got as long as you can deal with the heat they generate and you don't put them so close that they burn your plants. CFL's can be placed almost right on top of your plants, but HID needs to be up much higher or you'll burn em.

Hey man whats up. So you put the HID in last night? The light's are not going to dictate how large the plants are, they will however influence the vigor and bud production of the plants. If you can I would stick with the HPS light the whole way.

I see that your using foil as a reflective surface. While this does work, it does not work well. It also creates what are known as 'hot spots' and will increase the overall temperature of the grow box. Simply using white paper is a better alternative and using an emergency blanket (you can get them in the camping section of walmart for like 3 bucks) would be even better.

I also see that your using ziplock bags for containers. This will work for now but light will damage the roots of your plants, so you should have transplanting your plants into proper containers pretty high on your list of what to do. For now though I would suggest putting something on the bags that will block out light. Be creative. You could probably use foil ;)

As far as watering goes, you should water when the first inch or 2 of your soil is completely dry. I typically go 3 days between watering's and water on the 4th. What works for me may not nessesarily work for you though. Just remember that cannabis likes wet/dry periods. So water, and then leave them alone ;) Be sure that you have drain holes in the bottom also though, as the soil needs to get rid of excess moisture.

Any other questions? I'm glad to help :goodjob:

i also wanted to know what a good way to water them is. or every how long.? thanks alot guys. i love this site more an more everyday. lol

I have a tendency to over-water my plants, so I try to go by how heavy the container is. Once you get a feel for that, you can get then on a wet/dry cycle. It's very important to let the pot get pretty dry before you water, but not so dry that your plants start to wilt.

When you over-water, plants also look wilted, so it takes a while to get a feel for it.

Make sure you have good drainage in your containers also. Weed doesn't like to have "wet feet".

Not sure I'm following you. Why would using an HID make them stay small?

You can give them all the lights you got as long as you can deal with the heat they generate and you don't put them so close that they burn your plants. CFL's can be placed almost right on top of your plants, but HID needs to be up much higher or you'll burn em.

i meant would it be better to leave the cfl's so the plant could stretch out an stay in veggie..but thanks for the quick reply..:thanks:

Hey man whats up. So you put the HID in last night? The light's are not going to dictate how large the plants are, they will however influence the vigor and bud production of the plants. If you can I would stick with the HPS light the whole way.

I see that your using foil as a reflective surface. While this does work, it does not work well. It also creates what are known as 'hot spots' and will increase the overall temperature of the grow box. Simply using white paper is a better alternative and using an emergency blanket (you can get them in the camping section of walmart for like 3 bucks) would be even better.

I also see that your using ziplock bags for containers. This will work for now but light will damage the roots of your plants, so you should have transplanting your plants into proper containers pretty high on your list of what to do. For now though I would suggest putting something on the bags that will block out light. Be creative. You could probably use foil ;)

As far as watering goes, you should water when the first inch or 2 of your soil is completely dry. I typically go 3 days between watering's and water on the 4th. What works for me may not nessesarily work for you though. Just remember that cannabis likes wet/dry periods. So water, and then leave them alone ;) Be sure that you have drain holes in the bottom also though, as the soil needs to get rid of excess moisture.

Any other questions? I'm glad to help :goodjob:

thanks alot man!! what do u mean the hps? the littler lights..is that what u mean? and it has been gettin pretty hott in there. but about the questions man i got tons. thanks again.:goodjob::thanks:

I have a tendency to over-water my plants, so I try to go by how heavy the container is. Once you get a feel for that, you can get then on a wet/dry cycle. It's very important to let the pot get pretty dry before you water, but not so dry that your plants start to wilt.

When you over-water, plants also look wilted, so it takes a while to get a feel for it.

Make sure you have good drainage in your containers also. Weed doesn't like to have "wet feet".

will do. thanks alot guys for real. its really helping im gonna get to work right now.. an post some pics right quick.:yummy:

Image0194.jpg

Image0163.jpg

heres what they look like today 09/02/09 after one night of the hid lights. i think they like those a lil better cuz the other lights i had were kinda cheep. i think..

close up of them today 09/02/09 and the new set up from all the info. thanks again guys. please if u see something wrong in the new set let me know.thanks.

Image0392.jpg

Image0383.jpg

Image0195.jpg

Image0164.jpg

Image0088.jpg

Looks like you have every thing you need to grow now. How many watts are your lights? and you might want to think about moving your light closer so they dont stretch out to much, they look like there working on getting high enough to get light but you want to control how far from the light they are or all you will end up with is a small charlie brown weed tree. I will be fallowing this one. Keep up the good work. And nice duct tape around the bags lol cant say i have ever seen anything like that before. +rep

Looks like you have every thing you need to grow now. How many watts are your lights? and you might want to think about moving your light closer so they dont stretch out to much, they look like there working on getting high enough to get light but you want to control how far from the light they are or all you will end up with is a small charlie brown weed tree. I will be fallowing this one. Keep up the good work. And nice duct tape around the bags lol cant say i have ever seen anything like that before. +rep

the hid lights are 70watts each. ya i had the light too far when it was those cfl's and when i had those i think it wasnt enough watts. but i think imma stick with the hids now. i mos def dont want a charlie brown tree lol. ya my brother told me when i told him.:goodjob:. thanks alot man. ill be posting alot as i go along.:thanks::rollit:

i have another question..how long should i have the lights on an off? i have a timer but i dont really know how to set it. for veg and for flower and nugging. let me know asap thanks guys.

right now i have it on at 9pm and off at 930am

Some stretched a lot but that should stop now with the HPS light. (nice light btw) What kind of water are you using? For veg stage you should use a 18 hour ON 6 hour OFF schedule. For flowering you simply go 12 ON/12 OFF. If you want to help keep your plants small you can use a 12/12 light schedule all the way.

Some stretched a lot but that should stop now with the HPS light. (nice light btw) What kind of water are you using? For veg stage you should use a 18 hour ON 6 hour OFF schedule. For flowering you simply go 12 ON/12 OFF. If you want to help keep your plants small you can use a 12/12 light schedule all the way.

thanks alot man. that really helps me alot. im using straight water from the sink. i read its a kinda fail safe. lmk. the timer thing ima do right now. thanks again:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom