First Timer Preparations - CFL - Attic Grow Room

20151205_082715.jpg
20151205_082717.jpg
20151205_082727.jpg
20151205_082338.jpg
20151205_082706.jpg
I found a diy thread for a homemade light spectrometer using a cereal box or something similar, a cd, and some tape, as well as something to cut with. Turned out pretty cool.

What catches my eye first is the foam insulation, as a safety hazard.
Generally it's considered a bad idea to line interior walls of a grow room with as it burns so well and makes extremely toxic smoke when it does. Or least the type I'm familiar with sure does. Maybe you aren't running high wattage in there but shit happens when electricity is involved and over the years I've had various appliances heat up and/or burn up.

Good call Weaselcracker,
the 1st thing that caught my eye being I am a licensed electrician in the state of Oregon was your lights are not mounted on junction boxes which is a code violation in any state of America. If for some reason you had a fire, even if it was non-related to your grow room, if the fire marshall saw those lights he would put it on his report and your fire insurance would not pay you one thin dime. Every insurance policy has a clause in it that states if you purposely install electrical devices in your home or business that does not conform with the NEC (National Electric Code) they are not responsible to pay out on that claim. Any junction points on any wiring that includes lights must be inside a junction box. There are a few exceptions, such as some low voltage devices, for example the load side of your doorbell transformer can be open air because it is only 24 volts.
Junction boxes are cheap. use the plastic ones and they will run you like 98 cents a box depending on where you buy them.
Always best to grow safely, no bud on this planet is worth the safety of you or the ones you love. Truth be told it is not that expensive to do it right and be safe, least not in shelling run.
Looks like you have a good vision though.. I like what I am seeing starting to come together.:thumb:

Hey Newbiegrwer, I read through and am subbed up now per your request on my other thread. Oldergrower is also on that thread and expect he will pop in and give you a wrist slap if you've done anything wrong on the electrical. .

Oh you know me so well RM:rofl:

It is not that I want to, it is because I care about my fellow brothers and sisters here at 420 and would feel terrible if I ever heard that they had a fire or worse a death because I did not speak up and let them know what they are doing is not safe. Please do not feel singled out Newbiegrwer, ask Ricky Bobby, I called him out on his electrical also and we got him fixed up and safe for just a few dollars more. I would just keep my mouth shut if I did not care for you and yours.:circle-of-love:

Hi Newbiegrower gotta say a big well done on your prep work very thorough! Your set up is very professional looking...wish mine looked the same lol mine looks like a toddler built it haha

Also major congrats on being so patient! I wasn't so patient and have been tripping over myself ever since. Hope your grow goes well I'm subbed!

Peace and happy growing all

Good call Weaselcracker,
the 1st thing that caught my eye being I am a licensed electrician in the state of Oregon was your lights are not mounted on junction boxes which is a code violation in any state of America. If for some reason you had a fire, even if it was non-related to your grow room, if the fire marshall saw those lights he would put it on his report and your fire insurance would not pay you one thin dime. Every insurance policy has a clause in it that states if you purposely install electrical devices in your home or business that does not conform with the NEC (National Electric Code) they are not responsible to pay out on that claim. Any junction points on any wiring that includes lights must be inside a junction box. There are a few exceptions, such as some low voltage devices, for example the load side of your doorbell transformer can be open air because it is only 24 volts.
Junction boxes are cheap. use the plastic ones and they will run you like 98 cents a box depending on where you buy them.
Always best to grow safely, no bud on this planet is worth the safety of you or the ones you love. Truth be told it is not that expensive to do it right and be safe, least not in shelling run.
Looks like you have a good vision though.. I like what I am seeing starting to come together.:thumb:
I will definitely be getting those junction boxes. Thanks for the advice. I am a handy man by nature but always willing to learn from masters of the trade. I'm glad to have you on my board of advisers along side the rest of these fine fellows.

Knowledge and experience are 2 different things. Strive for both and share it with others.

Hi Newbiegrower gotta say a big well done on your prep work very thorough! Your set up is very professional looking...wish mine looked the same lol mine looks like a toddler built it haha

Also major congrats on being so patient! I wasn't so patient and have been tripping over myself ever since. Hope your grow goes well I'm subbed!

Peace and happy growing all
Thanks a lot SolKing. I like to do things right from the beginning. I don't mind failing as long as it's not from being unprepared.

Knowledge and experience are 2 different things. Strive for both and share it with others.

So I got all of my lighting up and my exhaust fan bringing cool house air into the room but when I did a dry run with lights and fans on the room jumped up to around 115 deg. Is this okay or do I have to put in a window unit?

I will definitely be getting those junction boxes. Thanks for the advice. I am a handy man by nature but always willing to learn from masters of the trade. I'm glad to have you on my board of advisers along side the rest of these fine fellows.

Hi newbiegrwer,

I'm a noobiegrower myself, with little but growing experience and like you have been doing a ton of education to get up to speed. As I'm sure you've already noticed, you won't find a better place than 420mag.

Nowhere near ready to be a board member, but I'll happily do the coffee runs so I can catch a nugget or two from the others myself.

Subbed in for the ride.

Smoke detector? Fire extinguisher?

See newbiegrwer, it happened already.

How could I be so forgetful.

Oh, I know. <giggle>

Off to the hardware store I go, if I ever get off this damned site for the night.

So I got all of my lighting up and my exhaust fan bringing cool house air into the room but when I did a dry run with lights and fans on the room jumped up to around 115 deg. Is this okay or do I have to put in a window unit?

So after some digging I have found that this is completely unacceptable and I am attempting to score a window unit on craigslist. If that doesn't work out I will have to pay full price at lowes. I hope a 5000 btu is enough. It is rated for twice the size of my room.

... i would run some more light for that big of a space or am i just seeing this wrong. also making sure your electrics are grounded is verry smart and will help in case of a short... or using a surge protector and having a automatic fire extinguisher is verry nice i like my house more than my plants better lose one crop to foam than loos the hole house to flames just be save

other than that cant wait to see the cloner in action going to build one my self soon

... i would run some more light for that big of a space or am i just seeing this wrong. also making sure your electrics are grounded is verry smart and will help in case of a short... or using a surge protector and having a automatic fire extinguisher is verry nice i like my house more than my plants better lose one crop to foam than loos the hole house to flames just be save

other than that cant wait to see the cloner in action going to build one my self soon
The cloner I just bought. I priced out the individual components and it was worth the extra couple bucks to buy the kit and let them do the leg work.

Google seedfinder. This is a quote from them.

"Vision Seeds---Northern Lights Autoflowering

Northern Lights seeds have been a favourite to many cannabis growers for years because of their easy growing characteristics and great narcotic value. This strain is highly recommended for beginning growers as it is one of the most forgiving strains around. High flower to leaf ratio, compact buds, good yields and exceptional resin production are all characteristics displayed by this amazing strain.

Northern Lights autoflowering seeds pass directly from the seedling to the flowering stage, it completely skips the vegetative growth stage, in a process called autoflowering. In other words, when planted, it sprouts, grows a couple sets of leaves, then immediately and automatically begins flowering. As a result, growing this strain goes fast!

Northern Lights automatic is a good choice for those who are looking for a heavy, lethargic stoned effect. The smoke is full bodied yet somewhat neutral in flavour. The taste is pungent with a sweet after taste. As a typical Indica the effect is strong, producing a high level of relaxation for the body and the mind.

Average height: 115 cm
Average indoor yield: 400 g/m²
Composition: Sativa 20%, Indica 80%
Effect: Strong, very relaxing
Indoor flowering time: 60 days
Outdoor harvest: End of September
Average THC: 18%"

Google seedfinder. This is a quote from them.

"Vision Seeds---Northern Lights Autoflowering

Northern Lights seeds have been a favourite to many cannabis growers for years because of their easy growing characteristics and great narcotic value. This strain is highly recommended for beginning growers as it is one of the most forgiving strains around. High flower to leaf ratio, compact buds, good yields and exceptional resin production are all characteristics displayed by this amazing strain.

Northern Lights autoflowering seeds pass directly from the seedling to the flowering stage, it completely skips the vegetative growth stage, in a process called autoflowering. In other words, when planted, it sprouts, grows a couple sets of leaves, then immediately and automatically begins flowering. As a result, growing this strain goes fast!

Northern Lights automatic is a good choice for those who are looking for a heavy, lethargic stoned effect. The smoke is full bodied yet somewhat neutral in flavour. The taste is pungent with a sweet after taste. As a typical Indica the effect is strong, producing a high level of relaxation for the body and the mind.

Average height: 115 cm
Average indoor yield: 400 g/m²
Composition: Sativa 20%, Indica 80%
Effect: Strong, very relaxing
Indoor flowering time: 60 days
Outdoor harvest: End of September
Average THC: 18%"
Thanks. I was getting my info from the wrong place I guess. Knew I could count on you to fill in the blanks.

nice strain im currently growing the photo NL of vision seeds good seeds and nice plant i plan to make this a keeper
I ordered the photo but they sent an automatic. After a quick email explaining what happened they quickly sent out the photoperiod to me. I should receive it sometime in the next couple of weeks. Attitude has had great customer service and if I ever need to purchase seeds again it will be with them.

I got that window unit from craigslist but it was really moldy so I disassembled and sprayed down with bleach and rinsed. I repeated until all the bleach was gone. After it dries out really well I will plug it in and give it a try and see if it still works. It ran before the cleaning. Hopefully I didn't ruin it.

Back
Top Bottom