First Timer Preparations - CFL - Attic Grow Room

With it going off at 155deg it might now work well with the hotter lighting either. Get a strong hid too close might set it off.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using 420

Bare bulb for sure. I have a raptor shielded hood with 6" vents and a 440cfm fan. My handy $13 laser thermometer tells me that the hottest spot I can find on it at 600w is 88F. I'd hate to think how hot it'd get if the fan failed. Still better than having the fire department show up.

You've been awesome. Can't wait to have you coaching me along through my first grow. I have picked out a ppm tds pen and calibrating solution and ph up and down and I will purchase them when I get paid Friday. Can I get away with using ph strips to check that? I have been creeping on some of your older posts. Congrats on potm. That's awesome.

Ph test strips are probably better in some ways than a very cheap ph pen. At least they can't break. You can discern the ph within about .5 or so at best I find, which isn't quite good enough but almost. They make a great backup and will get you by in a pinch. The ph color-changing drops are similar but I find them easier to read than the litmus paper.
If you do end up buying a ph pen and you go cheap, get at least one other for backup, and/or test drops and strips.
Take good care of the cheap ph pen, (which means always storing it so the probe on the tip is wet in a probe storage solution), but expect it to go crazy on you sooner or later. It will.
Or save up and eventually get something good like one of the Bluelab meters.

Hey newb i like your room weasel and rifleman hav some good safety points which remindeds me i should mount few things better also.. have you run dwc before? What temps are you seeing in your room atm? Dwc is not beginner friendly imho. Also i have not had much exp with cfl but with 7ft of head room you might need something a little more powerfull.. Dont mean to put u off or anything youve done a good job there ill follow allong and help u where i can .. if your set on dwc heres a good journal you should read first ClosetCase420's - RDWC - 600W MH/HPS - Wonder Woman - Grow Journal - 2015 or have a look at my or others grows for ideas?

Hey newb i like your room weasel and rifleman hav some good safety points which remindeds me i should mount few things better also.. have you run dwc before? What temps are you seeing in your room atm? Dwc is not beginner friendly imho. Also i have not had much exp with cfl but with 7ft of head room you might need something a little more powerfull.. Dont mean to put u off or anything youve done a good job there ill follow allong and help u where i can .. if your set on dwc heres a good journal you should read first ClosetCase420's - RDWC - 600W MH/HPS - Wonder Woman - Grow Journal - 2015 or have a look at my or others grows for ideas?
This is all in preparation for my first grow ever. And my lighting is all on a rope hung system adjustable to about 30 in from the floor. At the moment not running lighting or heater my room stays atmospheric temp but I ran an experiment a few days ago and let it warm up and sealed it overnight. Atmospheric drop was about 15 deg room drop was only about 3. Very well insulated. It is surrounded on all 6 sides with about an r value of 15 plus a 4mil plastic vapor film.

And thanks weasel and rifleman, I am getting the drops and the strips. This is all been fun just doing the research and I'm super excited to get started. Can't wait for the first of the year. Plan on starting the new year with a bang. 1/1/16 will be first day of germ hopefully.

Hey rifleman. Do you know anything about people saying not to use clear containers for dwc because roots don't like light?

Yep. Light in the reservoir and a little warmth along with some nutrients is a recipe for algae also. If all you have are clear containers that light will leak through you can use some black spray paint primer for plastic, then paint over it again with a coat of Kilz to really light proof it. Use the flat white Kilz for the reflective value and also so the reservoir does heat up by soaking up the light energy.

Yep. Light in the reservoir and a little warmth along with some nutrients is a recipe for algae also. If all you have are clear containers that light will leak through you can use some black spray paint primer for plastic, then paint over it again with a coat of Kilz to really light proof it. Use the flat white Kilz for the reflective value and also so the reservoir does heat up by soaking up the light energy.
Awesome thanks. That's exactly what I'll do.

Knowledge and experience are 2 different things. Strive for both and share it with others.

20151204_202855.jpg
81fkq50g3WL_SL1500_.jpg
81Xa7jdUjmL_SL1500_.jpg
71yx1VepPfL_SL1500_.jpg

Here's a link to htg website with the automatic fire extinguisher and it has a video. Will destroy plants for sure but save your house. Watchdog Automatic Fire Extinguisher | Automatic Fire Protection

Sorry, I'm just catching up. You can but a heat shutoff controller for about $90. Set a temp, ie 90°, and if it hits that temp in your room/tent it cuts power to light. If you lose your fan, AC, ect it will shut down whatever is plugged into it.

800w HPS 1st grow. Millertm's - Girl Scout/Cinex - Grow Journal - 4'x4'x6.8' Tent - 2015

Back
Top Bottom