FishEyedFool’s First Grow, 2019

Good morning, all. Life moves at its own pace, whether we like it or not. A good friend of mine, that I have known for over 26 years, was diagnosed with early onset dementia, Monday. We met at college and have been pretty inseparable ever since. He's 49 and way too young to be having to deal with this. Unfortunately, he's also recently divorced and his children are grown and are out of the house. I spent several hours at his house last night, just helping him get current on his bills (that he has simply forgotten to pay). I've known for some time that things were not right with him. We're also co-workers and I noticed that his work had been slipping for a while. I didn't know the cause but I had assumed that he was simply distracted by the divorce and dating, etc. I even gave him the "snap out of it and get your shit together" speech several months ago. I had no idea that this disease could have been the cause.

Things like this reinforce the notion of "living in the moment", for me. Enjoy the here and now because tomorrow, it may be gone. If we can enjoy each day that God has given us, we'll have few regrets when it's time to reflect on our past.

My apologies for being a "Debbie Downer", this morning. I'm not normally a very open person but I have found some therapy here, sharing personal things with all of you. It kind of helps me work some things out in my head to be able to accept them a little more easily.

Now, some good news! The girls are progressing well, in my inexperienced opinion. Nothing earth shattering but at least they're growing. I started them on an 18/6 light schedule, on Sunday. Lights come on at 6:00pm and go off at 12:00pm. I learned a valuable lesson on Monday at 5:55 pm. DON"T LEAVE THE HUMIDIFIER ON WHEN LIGHTS ARE OUT! The display screen on my temp/humidity gauge read: 78F and 99% humidity. It was literally raining inside of the tent. The girls seemed unaffected, however. But still...

JH #1

JH #2

JH #3

Much love to all.

Dementia is a terrible condition. You are obviously a good friend. That's all you can do/be at a time like this.

The plants look great. Good job!

Sorry to hear about your friend - what a plague, dementia, Alzheimers and the like have become. It is very hard on all involved.
On the bright side - those are such nice tight little plants - you'll be able to share the bounty of your harvest with your friend in no time at all.

Sorry to hear about your friend - what a plague, dementia, Alzheimers and the like have become. It is very hard on all involved.
On the bright side - those are such nice tight little plants - you'll be able to share the bounty of your harvest with your friend in no time at all.
Thanks @greenjeans. You know, I had the same thought last night. I'm going to do some research today to see what strains are beneficial to this condition. I know that I have read a few grow journals that were dedicated to growing medicine for this disease. I think that I'll start there.

And by the way, can a plant be too tight? You're right greenjeans, those nodes have very little separation. I'll get a picture tonight so that we can make a determination. I even thought about raising the light to its highest point to try to promote them stretching a little.

@SweetSue has a thread on dementia/alzheimer's. That is a good place to start.

Thanks for directing him Alafornia :hug:

There's a school of thought that suggests it'll take very low doses to stop the progression in many patients, as low as 5 mg of THC and CBD a day. I'd suggest a varietal of cannabis more towards an indica profile, and one higher in CBD wouldn't be a bad thing.

We're talking micro dosing with Alzheimer's. High doses work against the treatment and end up confusing the patient.

I'm working my way through Green Flower Media's showing of CannaMed 2018, and there's at least one talk, and possibly a panel discussion on treating Alzheimer's with cannabis. I'll link you to my posts in Class Notes when I get that done.

Thanks for directing him Alafornia :hug:

There's a school of thought that suggests it'll take very low doses to stop the progression in many patients, as low as 5 mg of THC and CBD a day. I'd suggest a varietal of cannabis more towards an indica profile, and one higher in CBD wouldn't be a bad thing.

We're talking micro dosing with Alzheimer's. High doses work against the treatment and end up confusing the patient.

I'm working my way through Green Flower Media's showing of CannaMed 2018, and there's at least one talk, and possibly a panel discussion on treating Alzheimer's with cannabis. I'll link you to my posts in Class Notes when I get that done.
So, so thankful for your input, @SweetSue. And thank you for linking me on the Class Notes, when they're completed. This little community that we have here is so supportive. :circle-of-love:

CBD 18 mg twice daily is helping my mother. Psychotic symptoms greatly diminished. MOCA score improved from 20 to 27 from one visit to the next.

As you know, FEF, THC is not an option for her unfortunately. I'd consider circumventing the laws there but an a-hole complicates the matter enough to make that impossible on a risk basis.

CBD 18 mg twice daily is helping my mother. Psychotic symptoms greatly diminished. MOCA score improved from 20 to 27 from one visit to the next.

:hug:

As you know, FEF, THC is not an option for her unfortunately. I'd consider circumventing the laws there but an a-hole complicates the matter enough to make that impossible on a risk basis.
Understood, Al. If the a-hole ever gets relocated, let me know. Logistically, I might be able to help you out.

It kind of helps me work some things out in my head

I absolutely understand that, 100% don’t be sorry for venting. Anybody would be lucky to have you as a friend, that was very nice of you to help him out.

My grandma suffered from dementia, it was very tough for everybody. She’s gone now, we all miss her so dearly much.

On a different note. Your plants look very healthy, loving life! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom