Five's Second Attempt - Coco/Perlite - CFL/LED - NL - 2016

FiveToMidnight

Hi guys!

I'm back again having a second attempt at growing some beautiful buds after my first go was successful but plagued with problems. I have learnt more than I could have imagined over the past few months and 95% of it is due to all the great people here. I really hope you guys can continue to provide amazing help and hopefully I can get through this round without so many issues.

So on to the details,
I decided to just copy the below and fill in the blanks to make it a little easier for people to see.

What strain is it? Northern Lights
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Hybrid
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Seedling
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? 75% Coco/25% Perlite
Size of light? 8 X 24W CFL's for Vege + 300W MarsHydro LED for Flower
Is it aircooled? Passive intake. 4" Duct Fan + 4" Carbon Filter
Temp of Room/cab? Between 26-38 Celcius (Depending on season)
RH of Room/cab? Between 50%-75%
How often are you watering? Dailty or as needed
Type and strength of ferts used? GH Flora 3-Part Series + CaliMagic + Silica

Main changes this time are using CFL's during Vege instead of the LED, not using peat pots to start off, using Silica from the start and using GH Flora 3-Part instead of Lucas Formula.

History so far:

21/1 - Germination Begins. 3 x Seeds put between wet paper towels
23/1 - All 3 seeds cracked, tap roots all the same size. Planted and put in box with ventilation only, no light. Coco was washed and flushed with 1ml/L RO w CalMag.
25/1 - #1 & #3 Popped above ground. Light was turned on for 6.5hours then resumed 18/6.
26/1 - #2 Popped above ground.

Here are some pics so you can see what it looks like at the moment.

I have built a new light fixture which holds 8 CFL globes. I only have 3 running at the moment as the girls are only babies, but will add more as they grow
P1272696.JPG
P1272697.JPG

One little concern I have already is #1. I had to remove the outer casing of the seed yesterday as it had not come off yet, but since doing that she hasn't changed at all. I thought she would have opened up like the other two by now.
Any thoughts?
P1272698.JPG

These two look pretty alright though.
P1272704.JPG
P1272700.JPG

So far they have only been watered with plain RO water at 5.9ph twice with one day in between.
Here is the schedule I am using.

GH_Schedule.JPG

Just like before I highly encourage anyone and everyone to comment and give any thoughts or ideas you may have. All are welcome and no offence will be taken to anything, all advice is taken with the up most consideration and appreciation.

Thanks guys and look forward to going on another journey with you all!!

:thumb: Subbed!

Edit - Nice opener, very well formatted and informative! Everything looks great and your plan looks good too.
You know I favor the use of more liquid per feeding, but the flush every other time should abate most of my concerns. Question, any chance you can acquire another small cabinet so you can have something always in veg and the other always in bloom? You already have most needed equipment and bloom air can be moved into veg before being sent through the carbon filter. This way humidity created in bloom can be utilized in veg.

:popcorn::high-five::reading420magazine: Okay, 5, let's get growing!

:thumb: Subbed!

Edit - Nice opener, very well formatted and informative! Everything looks great and your plan looks good too.
You know I favor the use of more liquid per feeding, but the flush every other time should abate most of my concerns. Question, any chance you can acquire another small cabinet so you can have something always in veg and the other always in bloom? You already have most needed equipment and bloom air can be moved into veg before being sent through the carbon filter. This way humidity created in bloom can be utilized in veg.

Sorry mate, missed your edit before.
Thanks for that, I tried to put as much information as clearly as I could. Want to make it as easy as possible for people to see what is going on and be able to assist if/when needed.
The reason for doing the flush every other water is due to the schedule I am using states to do so. I have also seen Glimmergrass use this exact routine and got great results. The only difference for me is I am planning to add silica.
Which reminds me, would you be able to advise on when to start using this and at what ratio please?

I would LOVE to have another box/tent and will hopefully be able to that soon. What is stopping me right now is space issues. There is no room to place another one and it would look way too obvious out in the open. We have a shed at the back that has a roof full of holes in it, so we are trying to tarp it up and once fixed, we should be able to use that space and fit a nice big ass tent inside it, with none the wiser. Until then though I have to stick with the single DIY cab.

On another note, any ideas on why #1 has yet to open up like the other two? I just had a look before and it looks exactly the same as in the pictures above. Looks like it may be stuck or something, is there anything I can do? I'm hesitant to handle it as I don't want to break her but I'm worried she will just die like this.

Also, I must give you credit for my light fixture as it was from your designs that I came up with this. I think it will work well however I'm thinking I should round off the corners as I think it would allow for more air movement. Not sure though.
Either way it will only be in here for about 3-4 weeks so will make changes to it once we switch to bloom.

Me too! Ill be poppin back in soon. Nice start and i like the cfl rig built on its own reflector :thumb:

Thanks guys! So awesome to see so many people jumping in to watch.

And thanks Stihl Logger, I was quite stoked with the way it ended up and was really easy to make too! Got the ideas originally from Skybound as he is the DIY king! But if anyone would like a more detailed description of how anything was done or with what materials I'm happy to go through it

It's quite possible your #1 has a genetic defect and may not open soon enough. I don't know that there's anything that can be done to help.

Your reflector looks great and I wouldn't worry about the corners, unless doing a forced air cab, in which case you'd only gain turbulence and less efficiency on the fans, but either scenario the turbulence created wouldn't amount to problems.

External structures such as garages and sheds should be avoided unless your local jurisdiction is kind hearted towards growing. Not to mention, being detached from your house makes it a sitting duck in the wee hours for thieves to get in and steal. At least in your home you can keep strangers at bay, and unknowing guests can be distracted in other ways. Gotta keep your meds secure, I'm sure you already know!

It's quite possible your #1 has a genetic defect and may not open soon enough. I don't know that there's anything that can be done to help.

Your reflector looks great and I wouldn't worry about the corners, unless doing a forced air cab, in which case you'd only gain turbulence and less efficiency on the fans, but either scenario the turbulence created wouldn't amount to problems.

External structures such as garages and sheds should be avoided unless your local jurisdiction is kind hearted towards growing. Not to mention, being detached from your house makes it a sitting duck in the wee hours for thieves to get in and steal. At least in your home you can keep strangers at bay, and unknowing guests can be distracted in other ways. Gotta keep your meds secure, I'm sure you already know!

Yeah that is possible. I've read others with the same issue. Some fixed themselves, others had to be pried open and others just died so I guess we will see.
The other two are ok though so all good.

That's good to know about the reflector, I'm glad you guys like it!

I know what you're saying about external structures but it is my only option if I wish to expand. Our dog keeps people out and you can't see the back of the house from the front so its not too bad. Not ideal though, would much rather them in their own bedroom ;-)

Wondering if I could please get some opinions on what size pots I should be using during the grow?

Here is what I have
P1292707.JPG

From left to right they are:
200ml
500ml
1.3L
3L
4.2L

I currently have the seedlings in the 200ml plastic cups and was only planning to vege these girls for about 3-4 weeks. Could anyone please advise what I should next step up to?
My last grow had the girls finish in the 4.2L pots but they were transplanted after switching to flower, which I since learned may have been detrimental to the stretch. So hoping someone could guide me a little here so I can plan a bit in advance

It will all boil down to how much growth is accomplished in the root zone that determines when you'll expose the roots to more room to grow into. Ideally for extended veg grows, it's preferred to use as many as 5 different sizes so the grower can spend some time controlling root mass progress. Your situation is more along the lines of SoG growing in that you're only going to veg for a short period before entering bloom, so you should do just fine with only 2 sizes. Once the roots have grown to the sides of the cup/pot and take up roughly the lower 2/3 of the root mass, it's time to pot up. If at that time you say to yourself "5, I think she's good to go into bloom in just a few days", than maybe go right to the largest size. But if you determine that the canopy isn't developed enough to fill up the cabinet after the stretch and you decide to veg a bit longer, than you'd likely opt for an intermediary pot so the roots can develop a bit more before going into bloom. Ideally, you're aiming for a 3 week veg, but if there are any stressful events, they can add up to a slower grow which leads to longer in veg. Make sense?

It will all boil down to how much growth is accomplished in the root zone that determines when you'll expose the roots to more room to grow into. Ideally for extended veg grows, it's preferred to use as many as 5 different sizes so the grower can spend some time controlling root mass progress. Your situation is more along the lines of SoG growing in that you're only going to veg for a short period before entering bloom, so you should do just fine with only 2 sizes. Once the roots have grown to the sides of the cup/pot and take up roughly the lower 2/3 of the root mass, it's time to pot up. If at that time you say to yourself "5, I think she's good to go into bloom in just a few days", than maybe go right to the largest size. But if you determine that the canopy isn't developed enough to fill up the cabinet after the stretch and you decide to veg a bit longer, than you'd likely opt for an intermediary pot so the roots can develop a bit more before going into bloom. Ideally, you're aiming for a 3 week veg, but if there are any stressful events, they can add up to a slower grow which leads to longer in veg. Make sense?

Makes perfect sense, thank you. I thought being such a short vege that it may be best to go straight from cup to final pot like you say as I didn't think they would be ready to pot up until about 2-3 weeks of growth at least.
My biggest issue is being able to tell when the right time to pot up is. I don't like removing the pots to look but can't really tell without it. Although didn't seem too bad when I did it last round.

Another question, being such a short vege, would topping still be an option? I saw some great results last time by topping them and I think it made it a lot easier to fit the girls in to the small space. I'm planning to try and start LST earlier than last time but I don't think I can get the same sort of even canopy of colas like I did last round with only LST.
What would be your thoughts on this?

Don't chain yourself to the idea that you MUST be in bloom in 3 weeks. Top your plants as needed to create the kind of canopy that will best fit into your available space and when you achieve the goals you've set to achieve in veg, then switch to bloom. Honestly, I think 3 weeks is too short of a veg period for your space, but if you can achieve the size plant you want in 3 weeks, great, but if at 3 weeks you still only have small plants that after the stretch would still be small in your cab, then you might wish to veg for some added days or weeks.

It's all about the plant, not the time table.

Don't chain yourself to the idea that you MUST be in bloom in 3 weeks. Top your plants as needed to create the kind of canopy that will best fit into your available space and when you achieve the goals you've set to achieve in veg, then switch to bloom. Honestly, I think 3 weeks is too short of a veg period for your space, but if you can achieve the size plant you want in 3 weeks, great, but if at 3 weeks you still only have small plants that after the stretch would still be small in your cab, then you might wish to veg for some added days or weeks.

It's all about the plant, not the time table.

That's a good point, I will keep that in mind. I think I stunted the stretch a bit too so I think if things go right they should get a lot bigger this time around. So you're probably right, 3 weeks wont be enough.
I'll just play it as it comes. I like to check things with you guys first so won't be going all cowboy on this ;)

Could someone also please advise on the use of Silica?

I have Cyco branded Silica and it has bugger all instructions on the bottle. Just says mix 1ml per L and that's it.
I looked up the Armor Si label and it says this:

Usage: Add Armor Si to fresh water first. Stir while adding. Next add fertilizer to water. Check and adjust pH range to 5.5 to 6.5.
• Mild strength, add ¼ teaspoon Armor Si per gallon water (.25 ml per Liter).
• Full Strength, add ½ teaspoon Armor Si per gallon water (.5 ml per Liter).
• Maximum Strength, add 1 teaspoon Armor Si per gallon of water (1 ml per Liter).
• Foliar Spray: add ¼ to ½ teaspoon Armor Si per gallon water

Should I just follow this and start at Mild Strength? Also, when should I start adding it? Should it be done immediately or after they get a few nutrient feeds?
Sorry but I'm finding it a little difficult to find any good advise on Google.

Thanks guys! :)

I add silica to the very first mixture of nutes at the most reduced dose on the bottle, sometimes less. This however, is mostly due to the amount of ppm that I'd be feeding such young plants, but none the less, calmag and silica and the other amendments I use are only given roughly 150 ppm for all 3 to fit into. This will also give your plants some time to adapt to the menu you provide, and successive doses can gradually increase with your feed regimen.

Back
Top Bottom