FL: Apopka Latest To Ban Medical Marijuana Shops, Eustis May Be Next

Ron Strider

Despite a long agricultural history, Apopka became the latest Central Florida government to ban medical marijuana shops within their borders.

Eustis in Lake County also may soon join the growing roster of communities who are just saying no to dispensaries.

Leaders of both cities cited regulating limits imposed by legislators as a reason for backing a ban. They said the state rules give local communities little choice: Either ban dispensaries or treat them like a CVS, Walgreen's or another pharmacy, which means pot shops could pop up near churches, neighborhoods and schools.

On the flip side Wednesday, Daytona Beach city commissioners approved dispensaries after an hour-long debate.

Some pointed out that 71 percent of voters approved the medical-marijuana amendment in November, which was to expand access to non-euphoric forms of the drug to treat patients with cancer, chronic pain, epilepsy, HIV/AIDS, post-traumatic stress disorder, multiple sclerosis and other debilitating conditions.

"This was overwhelmingly the will of the people, and I feel compelled to vote consistent with the people in my zone," City Commissioner Aaron Delgado said. "People hurting should not have to drive to another city to get this medication. I don't think it's going to corrupt our values or cause people to use drugs who otherwise would not."

Daytona Beach Mayor Derrick Henry also voted against a ban.

"Let's move on and give people to what they have a right to have," the mayor said.

Central Florida has a patchwork of rules for medical marijuana dispensaries. Winter Garden and Winter Park also don't allow them, while Astatula and Oviedo do.

In June, Knox Cannabis opened a shop on North Orange Avenue in Ivanhoe Village, the first in Orlando. A second dispensary is planned by Trulieve for a location on North Orange Blossom Trail.

But later in June, when the Legislature passed its rules, Orlando imposed a moratorium on the shops while it considers its options.

The city previously established rules limiting the number of dispensaries and creating distance requirements from schools, homes and other dispensaries.

In Apopka, city commissioner Kyle Becker wondered why Orange County's second-largest city had not investigated the possibility of treating dispensaries as "special exceptions" in the zoning code, a strategy that could possibly give the city more leeway.

"The proprietors of these establishments are responsible for this process from seed to sale, meaning they have a lot of skin in the game in terms of running a good, sound business," he said, addressing concerns the shops would boost crime. "I think we're making a lot of decisions here based off of fear, uncertainty and doubt."

Apopka planning officials said city staff would continue to research less-restrictive options than a ban, but that likely will take several months.

Mayor Joe Kilsheimer favored a ban on medical marijuana dispensaries in Apopka for now, though he said he also voted for Amendment 2 last November.

"I wish we didn't have to do this," he said.

Kilsheimer promised the City Council would revisit the issue if the Legislature provides local governments with more flexibility to regulate dispensaries.

The council voted 4-1 for the ban.

Cancer_Survivor_Bruce_Grossman_-_Stephen_Hudak.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Apopka latest to ban medical marijuana shops, Eustis may be next - Orlando Sentinel
Author: Stephen Hudak
Photo Credit: Stephen Hudak

Back
Top Bottom