FL: Calls For Special Session Already Begin

Ron Strider

Almost from the moment the gavel fell on the regular legislative session Monday night, there were already calls for a special session. The regular session was grinding and filled with squabbling –- and ended three days late –- and some members wanted to do it all over again.

Only not really "all." Most of the proposals considered by lawmakers this spring died during the final full week of the session; only the budget and related bills passed Monday. And the call for a special session was confined to medical marijuana, one of several must-pass bills during the regular session that ended up being not quite so must-pass.

As lawmakers sought consensus on whether to get together again in Tallahassee, something historic was happening halfway across North Florida: Corrine Brown, a former Democratic congresswoman who was a fixture on the Jacksonville political scene for decades, was found guilty in a federal corruption trial.

Meanwhile, some officials were trying to make sure they returned to Tallahassee in different roles, as campaign season in special elections and the 2018 regular election got underway.

YOU SAID GOODBYE, I SAID GOOD NIGHT

It wouldn't be a real "sine die" without a little bit of drama, and Monday's slightly delayed ending to the 2017 session was no exception.

The suspense this time surrounded a sprawling education package (HB 7069), a House priority that narrowly escaped death in the Senate. It passed on a 20-18 margin –- a 19-19 tie would have killed it. Even Senate education budget chief David Simmons, the Altamonte Springs Republican whose job it was to present the bill to the Senate, voted against it.

That was a few hours after Senate Appropriations Chairman Jack Latvala, R-Clearwater, essentially apologized for letting a budget-related bill turn into a 278-page measure covering charter schools, teacher bonuses, sunscreen at school and much more.

"If there's fault to be had for one of these bills that has gotten a little bit out of control, just understand that we won't do this again under my watch on this committee," Latvala said. "I promise you."

But the approval of that bill, and a few others, cleared the way for lawmakers to approve a budget that weighs in at $82.4 billion and an overall spending package (when the other measures are included) of $83.1 billion for the year that begins July 1.

With Gov. Rick Scott openly talking about the possibility of vetoing the entire spending plan, a rarity in a state where the governor can strike individual items he doesn't like, the budget was approved by veto-proof margins in the House and Senate.

"I think there's a lot in the budget that the governor's going to like," said Senate President Joe Negron, R-Stuart.

There are also things Scott certainly won't like –- foremost among them the elimination of economic-development incentives and the paring back of tourism-marketing dollars. But even Democrats who seemed to relish the prospect of an intraparty GOP feud set off by a Scott veto admitted that the most likely result would be a quick override.

"I don't think that it would change the outcome," said House Minority Leader Janet Cruz, D-Tampa. "It would just send a message."

But another reason for holding a special session seemed to be growing ever more likely. Lawmakers failed to pass legislation this year carrying out the medical-marijuana constitutional amendment approved by voters in November, leaving implementation to a state health agency that neither lawmakers nor those in the industry trust all that much.

By Thursday, Negron was asking members who were likely still unpacking their bags whether they had any ideas for how to break a logjam between the House and Senate on the pot legislation.

While the Senate favored a cap of up to 15 dispensaries for each operator during the session, the House –- which originally backed an infinite number of retail outlets –- ultimately settled on a limit of 100 per operator.

House Speaker Richard Corcoran predicted legislators will return to the Capitol and pass a comprehensive measure that eluded them during the two-month regular session.

"I believe there should be a special session, and there will be a special session," said Corcoran, R-Land O' Lakes. "I'm confident that we can get to a resolution."

If Corcoran and Negron can agree to a deal, a special session would most likely take place soon, Negron indicated.

"In my general experience in the process, the longer it takes from the conclusion of a regular session to set a special session, the less likely it is that a special session will occur," he said. "So there's a certain window that exists to realistically be able to try to resolve these differences."

Pot_-_Getty_Images.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: CAPITOL ROUNDUP: Calls for special session already begin | St. Augustine Record
Author: BRANDON LARRABEE
Photo Credit: Getty Images

Back
Top Bottom