FL: Estero Could Press Pause On Medical Marijuana

Katelyn Baker

Estero - Medical marijuana is moving forward in the sunshine state as a treatment for those in a battle with a crippling disease.

"I've had a mother and a fiancé die in the last five years with cancer, and they both used it, marijuana, to get some relief," said Marilee Burnette.

Richard Wilson is the only doctor practicing in Estero who is certified to write medical marijuana prescriptions starting Jan. 3rd.

"I have several patients now, cancer patients, Parkinson's patients... who I would be looking to do that for," he said.

But getting a prescription within village limits for the next year could become a challenge in itself.

"It will be an inconvenience to patients not to pick something up in their home town," Wilson said.

On Wednesday, village staff could adopt a cannabis dispensary moratorium, delaying anyone from opening a distribution facility in Estero limits.

Council says it wants more time to understand the future law requirements of cannabis.

"We're not saying that we're not gonna do it, we're just saying we need the time to look at the situation so we can make an intelligent decision," said Mayor Nick Batos.

If the dispensary freeze passes, the village manger will also take a look at zoning options for the facilities.

Dr. Wilson says in the grand scheme of things, the potential moratorium would not cause any harm to providers or patients.

"It's been effective in other states, and I'm just happy it's come to Florida," he said.

Village staff says one reason for possibly moving forward with the moratorium it to wait for the March 2017 legislative session for specific dispensary laws before taking on applicants.

12651584_G.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Author: Christina Mendez
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom