FL: St. Lucie County Updating Medical-Marijuana Dispensaries Rules To Meet State Law

Ron Strider

New regulations for medical-marijuana dispensaries are up for a County Commission vote during a final public hearing Dec. 19.

Commissioners held a first hearing Tuesday on updated medical-marijuana dispensary rules that would follow state law, allowing them wherever pharmacies are permitted.

No one from the public spoke during the hearing and no commissioner commented on the measure.

The state law, enacted in a special session in June, gives local governments only two options for the dispensaries: ban them or allow them under the same regulations that apply to licensed pharmacies.

St. Lucie County's proposed regulations would repeal ones passed in May and establish the same criteria to medical-marijuana dispensaries that is used for pharmacies.

The county's outdated May ordinance required dispensaries to be at least 5 miles apart and at least 1,000 feet from schools and parks.

The county Planning and Zoning Commission voted unanimously Nov. 16 to recommend the County Commission adopt the updated rules.

Commissioner Linda Bartz said she believes the ordinance will be adopted by the commission based on discussions about the issue at past commission meetings.

"I don't think a ban is a good idea because I think that the people voted to have medicinal marijuana," Bartz said in an interview Wednesday. "I think it was a clear cry for it and I think we should not stand in the way of people who are able to get their medicine."

Bartz said medical marijuana helped her late brother, David, reduce the number of other medications he took to deal with his health issues before he died.

"It certainly made his end of life much, much easier, so I can see the benefits, I can see what it can do for people," Bartz said. "We are a large community. I am sure and feel confident that we have a lot of people that are in need."

The Port St. Lucie City Council added medical-marijuana dispensaries to its zoning code in August and regulates them as it does pharmacies.

The Fort Pierce City Council held a medical marijuana workshop in August, but has not yet taken action.

The Indian River County Commission and Vero Beach City Council have banned dispensaries altogether.

Medical_Marijuana_Capsules_-_Eric_Hasert.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: St. Lucie County medical marijuana rules set for hearing on Dec. 19
Author: George Andreassi
Photo Credit: Eric Hasert
Website: Treasure Coast News, Sports, Weather, Business | Treasure Coast News

Back
Top Bottom