Flashmp3's Green Crack x Blue Dream Rockwool Revenge

Hi guys !

I m starting my second journal. I think only few people take time to read entire first posts, so I will jump straight to this grow.

4 x Green Crack (HSO feminized)
4 x Blue Dream (HSO feminized)

Grow space is a closet around 4x2x6ft

Lights : 4 x Toplanet 600w full spectrum (200w actual power draw). Maybe I ll add 1 x Toplanet 300w during flowering but will dépends on if I really need it or not and how much heat it would add to the grow space

I kept Those useful upcoming links cause they helped me a lot when I was looking for a good cheap led and rockwool :

How to Use a Cheap Lux Meter to Increase Yields | Grow Weed Easy

converting lux to par - Reef Central Online Community

Best Par Meter For LED lights

This helped me have better understanding of the importance of measuring PAR and LUX and not just trusting sellers recommandations.
I won't debate again here bout led lights and LUX as anybody as its own opinion but I highly advice anyone open minded and looking for new knowledges to take a look at each of those links

2 Pots :

In my first journal I was advised to put and airstone in my reservoir even if I m not doing DWC. So I Googled for the best solutions.

Pictures of results with absolutely massive roots :

Medium :

Nutrients are Advanced Nutrients line except I ll be using Biocanna Biovega during veg. I ve started at 1/4 dosage for all except piranha, tarantula and voodoo juice at recommended dosage.

Day 6 from seed update :

Automatic Watering timer for now is :

- Each 2 hours during 10min
- Exceptions : watering for 30 mins at 7am and 11pm then no watering between 11.30pm and 7am

My drippers are around 6L per hours which is 1L each 10 mins. I choosed 1L cause it represents mostly half of what a 6 inch cube can take. Then as my cubes are sitting on slabs, I guess the slab tend to absorb humidity from the cube helped with earth attraction. So I thought the cubes dry quicker than if they were alone. When I check them they never seem very moist. For the moment it looks OK 80% of the girls have sprouted and look great . I'll adjust as time goes by.

Only 2 out of 4 green crack have sprouted. I ve tried to check the other two seeds. They look OK but just maybe slower. Too avoid risks of loosing time, I ve planted 2 other seeds in two little rockwool starter cubes so that i can use them if the others don't make it. This grow will be a lot about good management of timing and trying to keep everything going amazing!

EDIT: Upgraded drip system :

Last green crack didn't pop. I have one seed left that has a little root so I put it in a cube close to another one which has a king tut about to sprout (hopefully tomorrow). If the king tut doesn't make it for whatever reason, the green crack will hopefully sprout. In case they would both sprout I ll just remove the green crack and maybe put it in the middle of the 4 plants or just toss it. King tut doesn't stretch as much as green crack does so if it grows well I ll just let it grow with less training so that everything is the same size in flowering!

I ll update later when plants grow more and things become more interesting.

I had to learn about ph rising daily in reservoir. A bit borrying to adjust it everyday but as I don't have to water thanks to the drip system, it s OK (ph goes from 5.7 to 7 within a day)

Day 16 from seed update

I ll be using the other leds when the plants get bigger. Not needed for now. The two green crack I had planted in small rockwool cubes didn't sprout. Maybe to much water. Soil seems easier for sprouting as I never had this trouble in soil. So I had only a king tut left so decided to give it its chance. The problem is that she s 10 days younger. But from what I saw in my last grow King tut grow faster than gc even if reaching full size sooner. This was from my last grow :

Green crack was 10 days older on that picture!
So hope to have same or better kind of speed of growth.

I m also wondering if I should let them do what they want when they grow up (classic SOG) or if I should do supercropping hoping to increase yields? What do you think of it? I Had planned to do topping but then saw different posts of @Cultivator praising supercropping over topping. I want to maximize yields. Planting 8 plants instead of 2 is to gain time (sog goal). Give me your thoughts please :Namaste:

I had written to @cmeflyin05 for advices about ph. I thank him a lot for his help!

I thought I would share this here as it could be useful to someone one day. So here is what was said in private :

Blue Dream before :

2 days later :

Things getting worse. So what I ve seen is whatever I do ph goes from 5.8. To 7.2 within a day! The plants were great before, while trying to adjust ph of the solution in the reservoir I accidentally watered with ph 4. In fact i didn't let the solution mix enough thanks to the pumps inside the reservoir. So the adjusted ph'ed water that I had just put in the reservoir didn't have enough time to mix the rest of the solution already in the reservoir. In fact i can't access it as it is in the bottom of the pot and can't remove all the solution cause the water pump need a minimum amount of water to work and not break. Anyway Within half an hour they were droopy. I flushed with ph 6. Within another half an hour they bounced back. I think they started to look bad when I watered the next time with drip system as it was around ph 7. So from now to try to solve everything I won't use the auto watering anymore. Cause it s too hard to adjust ph everyday as I can t access the reservoir easily. I have to take some of the water out but can t do much to avoid breaking the water pump. So I ll water twice a day with adjusted solution ph 5.8 and hope they will bounce back.

Plants not looking better this morning..... I guess I ll have to abort this grow soon....

I m thinking of what was difficult. Here it was to have to manage the ph everyday. I never had that issue in soil. It s so much eaisier. Sprouting is easier as well. I have 4 seeds that never sprouted in the rockwool. This cause even if it s great material you have to water it in a special way. I never had a seed that didn't sprout in soil. Never. Maybe I could try to mix soil with rockwool to have the benefits of both. I think I will go coco. I will be easier to manage. The rockwool could have been great if I had a separate reservoir. In general people have plants on top of it but can access it. In my case I couldn't. So it made it to hard to adjust ph everyday. I ll go regular in coco without all this "NASA" system lol

Plants not looking better this morning..... I guess I ll have to abort this grow soon....

I m thinking of what was difficult. Here it was to have to manage the ph everyday. I never had that issue in soil. It s so much eaisier. Sprouting is easier as well. I have 4 seeds that never sprouted in the rockwool. This cause even if it s great material you have to water it in a special way. I never had a seed that didn't sprout in soil. Never. Maybe I could try to mix soil with rockwool to have the benefits of both. I think I will go coco. I will be easier to manage. The rockwool could have been great if I had a separate reservoir. In general people have plants on top of it but can access it. In my case I couldn't. So it made it to hard to adjust ph everyday. I ll go regular in coco without all this "NASA" system lol
Hate to hear this one might be a bust. I was really hoping to see the end result with the Rockwool. Kudos for the effort though brother!

Hate to hear this one might be a bust. I was really hoping to see the end result with the Rockwool. Kudos for the effort though brother!

This made me "waste" around 200 dollars between diy watering + all the seeds + nuts......

I ve thought about it all day long. I think what I ll do is remove the 6inches cubes and replace it with coco. This would mean the plants would spend the first day in soil where I never got trouble. So if it goes well the plant should have already developed a matured enough root system before reaching the rockwool slabs. I don't want to have spent all this money on rockwool for nothing! I think a plant that has enough roots is stronger so it should be ok. From what I ve understood coco can remain wet for longer than rockwool which can dry pretty fast depending on the conditions. So the plants will have at least 1 month from seed to develop their roots in the coco before reaching the rockwool. I also think my ph problem comes from reuse of excess water. This will be avoided in coco as I ll hand watering everyday with adjusted ph. I couldn't hand water the rockwool cause it was drying to fast. A big plant would have be OK with lots of roots, but it obviously seems that younger plants need multiple watering a day which I can't do without automatic system. Or maybe I should just buy a reservoir and feed from it and just remove the excess of water maybe once a week in the pots reservoirs.

@Asesino85 @Derbybud @Mono @cmeflyin05 what do you think of my idea? Please give me your thoughts (I ve already ordered new seeds)

This made me "waste" around 200 dollars between diy watering + all the seeds + nuts......

I ve thought about it all day long. I think what I ll do is remove the 6inches cubes and replace it with coco. This would mean the plants would spend the first day in soil where I never got trouble. So if it goes well the plant should have already developed a matured enough root system before reaching the rockwool slabs. I don't want to have spent all this money on rockwool for nothing! I think a plant that has enough roots is stronger so it should be ok. From what I ve understood coco can remain wet for longer than rockwool which can dry pretty fast depending on the conditions. So the plants will have at least 1 month from seed to develop their roots in the coco before reaching the rockwool. I also think my ph problem comes from reuse of excess water. This will be avoided in coco as I ll hand watering everyday with adjusted ph. I couldn't hand water the rockwool cause it was drying to fast. A big plant would have be OK with lots of roots, but it obviously seems that younger plants need multiple watering a day which I can't do without automatic system. Or maybe I should just buy a reservoir and feed from it and just remove the excess of water maybe once a week in the pots reservoirs.

@Asesino85 @Derbybud @Mono @cmeflyin05 what do you think of my idea? Please give me your thoughts (I ve already ordered new seeds)
I would do as you said and cut them out and put them into soil. It will give the girls a fighting chance.

I would do as you said and cut them out and put them into soil. It will give the girls a fighting chance.

Actually I was talking bout the next ones. Those ones will die in few days for sure. I ve flushed (water ph 5, 5L third times) then watered only with water ph 5.8 with biocanna bio Vega 1/4 recommanded dosage. I ve also turned off the auto watering and will be hand watering everyday with same mix once a day 5L per pots so a bit more than 1L for each plant. If it s not enough water it s not too bad. They will die and I will move on.

I need to really tell you guys that am sad I screw up a grow twice within a month. But i accept to learn from my mistakes and keep sharing everything as it may help someone one day.

:Namaste:

I don't see why you wouldn't try to save these? They have some good color to them and would be a shame to cul them. Try cutting them out of the rock wool and plant them in coco drain to waste.

I won't risk to harm the roots more. I will do that for the next grow.

Thank you for your income as it allowed me to find this great article!

Why Run Drain to Waste? - GreenCoast Hydroponics Knowledge Center

I m sold to drain to waste! I may have gotten a pathogen in the solution. It was coming back again and again to the plants cause of reuse system. Let s see how flush + hand watering during a week will do!

I won't risk to harm the roots more. I will do that for the next grow.

Thank you for your income as it allowed me to find this great article!

Why Run Drain to Waste? - GreenCoast Hydroponics Knowledge Center

I m sold to drain to waste! I may have gotten a pathogen in the solution. It was coming back again and again to the plants cause of reuse system. Let s see how flush + hand watering during a week will do!

Here is what I think. You need to go to straight coco and screw all this rockwool stuff. I know you don't want to waste the investment but the only person I've really soon do this is on that YouTube video you showed all of us. What happens if you start them in soil/coco and the plant gets bigger and then the roots get to rockwool and stop growing again? I just think at this point you should get a couple good grows under your belt before entertaining using rockwool again.

There are tons of great growers on 420 magazine all with proven methods. You've even got new growers following those people and having great success. Why not copy someones methods and see if you can have the same success? Why watch videos on Youtube and try and mimic their setups? All the information that you need for a good grow is all on these forums. You start looking elsewhere and you are going to find all sorts of crazy stuff. I applaud the rockwool effort but this has been a wild ride to say the least.

I totally agree with @Derbybud. I'd get them out of the rockwool and into coco asap and you could probably save these. It might slow them down for a bit but they'll recover. If the don't the outcome is probably going to be the same in a few days so you aren't losing much by at least trying to get them in coco. Roots will grow back if you damage them.

Here is what I think. You need to go to straight coco and screw all this rockwool stuff. I know you don't want to waste the investment but the only person I've really soon do this is on that YouTube video you showed all of us. What happens if you start them in soil/coco and the plant gets bigger and then the roots get to rockwool and stop growing again? I just think at this point you should get a couple good grows under your belt before entertaining using rockwool again.

There are tons of great growers on 420 magazine all with proven methods. You've even got new growers following those people and having great success. Why not copy someones methods and see if you can have the same success? Why watch videos on Youtube and try and mimic their setups? All the information that you need for a good grow is all on these forums. You start looking elsewhere and you are going to find all sorts of crazy stuff. I applaud the rockwool effort but this has been a wild ride to say the least.

I totally agree with @Derbybud. I'd get them out of the rockwool and into coco asap and you could probably save these. It might slow them down for a bit but they'll recover. If the don't the outcome is probably going to be the same in a few days so you aren't losing much by at least trying to get them in coco. Roots will grow back if you damage them.

You re right. In life I m the kind of person who always tries. But obviously, rockwool setup needs some prerequisites to help maintaining ph constant that I don't have "big reservoir for example" etc.... Anyway I ve ordered the coco. This morning the plants don't look any better so I think they will already be dead before I receive the coco.... But I ll follow your advices!

Thank you very much all guys for support and advices!

Back
Top Bottom