Fletcher Council Votes Down Supporting Legalization Of Medical Marijuana

Jacob Bell

FLETCHER, N.C. -- Monday night, Fletcher took on a controversial topic -- marijuana.

The Fletcher Town Council voted against a resolution that would support the legalization of medical marijuana.

For more than a hour, people stood before the Council, sharing personal stories of how medical marijuana could help their situations.

Dr. Milton Byrd, former Council member and medical director of the North Carolina Cannabis Patients Network, presented the resolution as a statement to the public. He noted the economic benefit to the state, saying that since no other Southeast state allows medical marijuana, customers and sales tax would come to North Carolina.

Mayor Bill Moore said he was not planning to support the resolution.

"I think that decision needs to be made by someone with the full knowledge of what the issues of marijuana are -- good, bad, or whatever," said Moore. "I just don't think we're qualified for that."

Council members asked questions, before they motioned, and seconded the measure. In the end, council members said they could not represent Fletcher's 7,400 residents by supporting the resolution.

"I feel somewhat uncomfortable," said Councilman Bob Davy. He said passage of the resolution would basically say that the town of Fletcher has decided to ignore state law. He did acknowledge a need for further medical research.

In 2009, a North Carolina House bill to legalize medical cannabis died in committee, but Byrd said that another House bill will be presented to the North Carolina Legislature this year.

News Hawk- Jacob Husky 420 MAGAZINE
Source: foxcarolina.com
Author: Dana Wachter
Copyright: Fox Carolina
Website: Fletcher Council Votes Down Supporting Legalization Of Medical Marijuana

Back
Top Bottom