Florida Firm Plans Big, Low Cost, Medical Marijuana Grow Operation

The General

A Florida company plans to build what it believes will be the biggest medical marijuana factory in the country, hoping the economy of scale will lower the cost of the drug which is not covered by insurance. GrowHealthy LLC will operate out of a renovated 185,000-square-foot industrial complex set on 33 acres in Lake Wales, central Florida, said Don Clifford, its chief executive officer. "We expect that our productivity will be dramatically higher than you see in some other states. We think our costs will be lower through the use of automation," Clifford said.

Florida's Governor Rick Scott signed the "Compassionate Medical Cannabis Act" in June, which allows the limited use of a special strain of marijuana to treat epileptic seizures and other diseases. The measure received bipartisan support after impassioned pleas from parents seeking access to the strain known as "Charlotte's Web," named for a Colorado girl whose epileptic seizures were eased by taking the drug. The move came amid a wave of pro-pot activism in the United States: Colorado and Washington this year became the first two states to permit recreational sales of marijuana to adults, and voters in Oregon, Alaska and the District of Columbia will decide on similar ballot initiatives in the fall.

A holder of a doctor-prescribed "red card" in Colorado can buy an ounce of medical marijuana for around $200, depending on the strain. Clifford's partner at GrowHealthy, Craig Roberts, said the large-scale production they are planning in Florida could end up halving the prices charged. "It will be good for the patients that need it," he said. Voters in the Sunshine State also have shown overwhelming support for a referendum in November that could legalize other forms of medical marijuana.

GrowHealthy says there is big potential for growth, with an estimated 1.25 million Floridians suffering from ailments for which various types of medical marijuana might be prescribed. Clifford said their company has partnered with several plant nurseries in the state which are eligible to apply for a growing license in an upcoming lottery. The Florida law, which anticipates that patients will be able to buy medical marijuana from January, allows the use of the drug for sufferers of epilepsy, cancer and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

Clifford said GrowHealthy paid $2.1 million for the Lake Wales property, a former mattress factory, and plans to spend a further $5 million on renovations. He said it has also signed a purchase contract for a larger parcel of land nearby. The company pitches itself as positioned to become one of the United States' largest and most trusted chains of medical marijuana nursery farms, with plans to expand in other states. By the end of October the company expects to have 100,000 square feet ready to grow marijuana in two stacks, for a total of 200,000 square feet of growing space.

Indoor8.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Reuters.com
Author: Barbara Liston
Website: Florida firm plans big, low cost, medical marijuana grow operation | Reuters

Damn that's really great. They must know something the rest of us do not know. The vast majority of ppl in Floriduh say they want mm but getting out to vote is another thing altogether. Get out and vote yes on prop 2 and no on Rick Scott as governor, his plan would be to fight mm and legalization to the bitter end. Proponents here keep saying "this will be the first step to complete legalization." I say SO WHAT!

Am I the only one who thinks this is strange - Why grow inside under artificial light when you have the bright Florida sunshine ????

Am I the only one who thinks this is strange - Why grow inside under artificial light when you have the bright Florida sunshine ????
Because of Florida flying cockroaches and other much hungrier bugs.
Because growing outdoors is seasonal unless you purchase expensive and low yielding autoflower seeds.
Because of excess thievery/security problems in outdoor grows.
Because of foggy weeks right before harvest time.

Indoor growing is much easier.

About 100 per ounce of quality bud?

I wonder how the black market will be effected when medical comes along.

Anyone know how the black market is in Cali or Colorado?

Because of Florida flying cockroaches and other much hungrier bugs.
Because growing outdoors is seasonal unless you purchase expensive and low yielding autoflower seeds.
Because of excess thievery/security problems in outdoor grows.
Because of foggy weeks right before harvest time.

Indoor growing is much easier.

I agree with ya 100% on indoor being easier. However, you could have multiple harvest a year in Florida, as it rarely ever goes below freezing, and to control your light hours, you could use tarps. However, the summers are humid, and VERY hot. There's a LOT of rain in Florida, as well as unpredictable weather. I think properly-ventilated greenhouses would be the most economical route to mass harvests year-round in Florida, on a commercial scale. Would be a hell of a lot cheaper than running lights. Hurricanes could make investors leery of putting money into greenhouses, though.

I agree with ya 100% on indoor being easier. However, you could have multiple harvest a year in Florida, as it rarely ever goes below freezing, and to control your light hours, you could use tarps. However, the summers are humid, and VERY hot. There's a LOT of rain in Florida, as well as unpredictable weather. I think properly-ventilated greenhouses would be the most economical route to mass harvests year-round in Florida, on a commercial scale. Would be a hell of a lot cheaper than running lights. Hurricanes could make investors leery of putting money into greenhouses, though.

Agreed AMK.

Greenhouses are great for growing in southern USA. Security is an issue, but manageable.

The ONLY time I was in Florida it was in the low 30s for several days.
I forget it's not always like that :)

Hey guys, central Floriduh is in a large part agriculture. There are a million fern growers who would love to get involved in cultivation - they have the resources and growing expertise. Just need to let the sun in as opposed to the fern I would think.

I don't know anything about ferns, but I know that a TON of sugar cane is grown, along with tobacco, rice, vegetable crops, oranges and other citrus, and in a few areas, cannabis. ;)

It sure does strike me as strange!!!
The Dept. of Health is drafting rule now that include a lottery for licenses and no one can enter unless they have been in the biz for twenty years. No MMJ experience just plant growing companies with 20 years in business growing regular house plants. No one will even say for sure how they are going to get "Charlotte's Web" into the state to start this low thc only growing op.
I wrote to the reporter who first reported on this and he was not sure either. So I guess a wait and see is all we have.
These people are not the first to invest in the speculation that Fla. will pass MMJ. An old Wellcraft boat plant has been purchased with the sole intentions of a MMJ grow op. But so far no one knows what the reg's will look like as they have not been written.
Just be sure to vote wherever you live as it is important. Plus vote for those who favor our cause. In Fla. that would be Chris. He may be the lesser of two evils but has said he's in favor of MMJ.
It really bums me out the there is no wording in the law that's up for a vote to allow for growing at home. So if you're poor and can not afford to buy MMJ, I guess you're out of luck. I wish it was legal for everyone to grow and have instead of this police state B.S.

It sure does strike me as strange!!!
The Dept. of Health is drafting rule now that include a lottery for licenses and no one can enter unless they have been in the biz for twenty years. No MMJ experience just plant growing companies with 20 years in business growing regular house plants. No one will even say for sure how they are going to get "Charlotte's Web" into the state to start this low thc only growing op.
I wrote to the reporter who first reported on this and he was not sure either. So I guess a wait and see is all we have.
These people are not the first to invest in the speculation that Fla. will pass MMJ. An old Wellcraft boat plant has been purchased with the sole intentions of a MMJ grow op. But so far no one knows what the reg's will look like as they have not been written.
Just be sure to vote wherever you live as it is important. Plus vote for those who favor our cause. In Fla. that would be Chris. He may be the lesser of two evils but has said he's in favor of MMJ.
It really bums me out the there is no wording in the law that's up for a vote to allow for growing at home. So if you're poor and can not afford to buy MMJ, I guess you're out of luck. I wish it was legal for everyone to grow and have instead of this police state B.S.

Could not have said it better.
We need personal grows like right now!

Founded by former Miami Beach mayoral candidate Steve Berke, The After Party PAC is a political organization fighting to legalize medical marijuana in Florida. Advocating for a 'Yes' vote on Amendment 2, The After Party recently commissioned a shot-for-shot parody video of the song "You're the One that I Want" from the movie "Grease." (Watch! https://youtu.be/zdcvhUgeDRg)

$100 wholesale is probably more than $200 retail including taxes.
In my opinion, the only way Florida voters will support recreational mj is with a large "sin tax"
Rad you are most likely correct though first we have to MMJ passed in 2016 and then the hard part, getting the politicians to act on it. We have voted for things such as high speed rail only to have the slime balls find a way to reverse it and I imagine that the so called conservatives would try to do the same to MMJ and certainly to recreational.

We have grown outdoors very successfully in North Central Florida for decades, one crop a year. Plant in the spring and harvest around November.

All talk at this point would not allow personal growing either. Evidently the summer weather is not the only oppressive element in Floriduh.

I know this is somewhat old but figured I'd post anyway. Seems to me like the politicians who wrote the provisional laws for "charlottes web" have got to have some family in the nursery business. Only 5 in the whole state? That's ludicrous! There would have to be 5 just in SoFlo. just to keep up with demand down there. Not to mention when you get to N.E. and N.W. FL where the military bases are.. people join the military now for the health care benifits (other reasons too) and families in those areas would want access to meds for themselves or for their children. I know! I live in Co. now and can get the care for myself and family. I was excited when they were going to vote and called my buddies to tell them to go vote, but of course everyone thought it would pass and stayed home. Love the freedom here in Co. to grow and purchase med. or rec. buds, but it has nothing on the fishing! Hope it all works out for yall down there! If not, just keep growing the way it's always been done, and catch some REAL fish for me!
GB80

Well they, our corrupt politicians, want to keep the prices as high as they can to maximize profits so that they can collect more on the backside.
btw, I would rather be working the trout in Cheesman Canyon than sweating my azz off and swatting bugs and the other blood suckers here.
:grinjoint:

Back
Top Bottom