Flowering light requirements for 4x4?

Aero808

Hello everyone,

I've been doing some googling (uh oh!) haha.

I'm wondering if my setup will provide adequate power during flower? I'll be running a 400w hps in an aircooled reflector. The reflector is designed to provide uniform light to a 4X4 area. I'll also have 3 50w led grow bars. I'm thinking I'll turn them horizontally to make full use of them and shine them directly at the scrog canopy.

Any success stories flowering a 4x4 area with a 400w hps? What should my realistic expectations be?

How much difference would jumping up to a 1000w hps make in yield? Is it overkill for a 4X4?

Thanks for reading! Cheers!

Hi Blew Hiller, thanks for helping out. Looking forward to seeing what Purple has to say.

I ran a 600w HPS in my 4x4, think a 1000w may be a bit much unless it's dimmable

600w worked great, just too much heat for where I live

I was eyeballing a used 1000w lumatek adjustable digital ballast. I've heard that taking a 1000w bulb and dimming it reduces it's lifespan though?

Were you scrogging when you used the 600w?

How about adding another 400w HPS to what you already have :)

Basically you need 1000w HPS per m2 to optimally flower cannabis, not possible in many practical applications due to heat issues, but it paints a picture of how much light is needed for full saturation, of course less will do just fine.

I know a few guys who've grown with 400w HPS in 4x4 and it will work, but the guys with 600w HPS in 4x4 do a lot better for sure.

If you grow ScroG you're better off with better spread and less penetration, so replacing your current gear for a 1000w HPS might be counter productive.

I was gonna say, if you add one or two 50w led side lights, that might also help, so one 400w HPS above, and around 200~250w led compensate lights, I guess should also be enough, and might give you better coverage. :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom