flowering question...

Ronnie

I have always counted days of flowering from the time she showed sex. a friend said she put the lights on 12/12 and counted from that day as in flowering. that can't be right, can it? it takes sometimes 3 weeks to sex. a pic of a flowering girl titled '28 days into flowering' means 28 days after sex is shown right?!?

I am so blown away by that. I've grown outdoors for awhile, but just started indoors last year. that changes EVERYTHING. all the pics I see online are way farther than my stuff. I have 3 girls going now, took 3 weeks to just show sex. that was 2 weeks ago. what I thought was 2 weeks into flowering is actually 5 fucking weeks. they just started forming buds last week!
keeping in mind I live in missouri. right in the middle if the country, not even a medical mj state anywhere near me (though thank God last week we introduced legislation. I am an active norml member and am doing my share) so it's virtually impossible to get good seeds. I won't buy online or have anything mailed to me so I have to grow from baggie seeds. gotta do what you can, you know? I've lived here all my life but don't know a single grower. I know they're here cuz I bought their shit till about 4-5 yrs ago.
anyhoo, I am growing whatever seeds I can get my hands on and that probably is a lot of it. I am so freaked out by this! I considered myself a pretty damn good grower...

start counting when nighttime is 12 hours long :smokin:. Harvest is usually in october for outside grows. That will vary somewhat depending on if its indica or sativa and your location.

you know what I mean, I've heard people say "my outdoor plants have been flowering for almost 4 weeks now"-----how can you gage that?!? in the fall some days the sun comes up earlier than others. not like there is a day when it hits the 12 hour mark and never reverts back. outdoors I don't really count how many weeks of flowering, I just check trichs. but I've heard people count weeks. man I don't usually lose it over shit, this just changes all my configurations of indoor flowering vs outdoor, ya know? fuck!

Actually...if you wait for the plant to be sexually mature - alternating nodes - you start counting from the light cycle switch. That's why most people get frustrated when the breeder tells them 56-60 days, but it takes 80. Because they didn't wait for maturity. If you flip to 12/12 and start counting from say 3 weeks veg, without maturity, it's going to take 10+ days longer than breeder estimates. I'd never count weeks outdoors...she's ready when she's ready.

...so I have to grow from baggie seeds. gotta do what you can, you know? I've lived here all my life but don't know a single grower. I know they're here cuz I bought their shit till about 4-5 yrs ago.
anyhoo, I am growing whatever seeds I can get my hands on and that probably is a lot of it. I am so freaked out by this! I considered myself a pretty damn good grower...
You'd be surprised at how good the bag seed bud can be. Normally WAY better then that from which it came.

the best weed I've ever smoked was the 1st crop I grew (ok, could have been slightly psychological) but it was truly dazzlin' shit.
my 1st indoor grow bud wasn't great, probably cuz the light I used.
got 2 175w merc vapors now, 7500 lumens each, fairly close to the girls. plants are beautiful, nice little buds just started last week but I'm apparently 5 freaking weeks into flowering now. I know my light system isn't the best, but do you think I'll produce anything good? the bud that gave these seeds was pretty good, and it was obviously pollinated where mine will not be. with inferior lighting do you think I'll have to flower longer?

Merc vapors are notoriouly better at creating heat than light, plus the spectrum is not ideal for growing. With that said, Any chance of picking up some compact fluoros to use instead. You'd do much better with them.

But then again..."take what you can get" has always worked for me.

you know, I've read both ways on merc vap. one guy stated he has grown really good shit for years using that light only, and so far I've got 3 really good looking ladies (and 1 male I pulled last week) flowering pretty nicely. one plant got a little close and sustained some leaf damage so I had to trim down, but even it is budding pretty well. the bigger of the 3 looks awesome right now. I'm about 5 1/2 weeks in now, and know it will be probably 4 weeks till I can harvest, but she is covered with hairs forming tight looking buds, guess I'll havta wait and see on the final product. one thing though, they don't put much heat. I had to refigure where I had 'em placed b/c it was not keeping over 70 degrees so I moved everything around a bit. I guess what I was asking is, even with inferior lighting will flowering longer than norml get better quality buds? they look like they have a way to go but are progressing every day.

Well I'd say you have no choice but to follow thru at this point and see what comes of it. In all the years I've been doing this I've never heard of any great success with MV lights. There are much more efficient lighting systems out there, and I guess that's what I was saying.

Please keep us posted and up to date because it's a great topic, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to know the outcome.

roger that.
I'll definitely keep you informed and if I find my digi camera I'll post pics. FYI--if you go into wal-mart, they have displays up in hardware of outdoor street lights for like $27. I got 2 of them, so that's what we're talking about. they are 175 watt and 7000 lumens each. I'll update in the next week or so. peace!

I looked at similar lights at Home Depot, although I was scouting HPS. They had some, but not very high wattages. They had 400W HPS bulbs for $20, but alas no ballast.... Instead, I just bought more CFLs, lol...

They're doing well so far. Much better than the first time I tried, but I think I've fixed lots of my problems since then. Water being one of them...I was PH KILLING for a while by using tap water. Now I use rainwater.

I'll take a few pics tonite, and send up for comparison. I have one plant now, that was cloned off of my first ill attempt. I cloned it in the second week in January, vegged it, and switched to 12/12 on 3/5/07. I just liked that date, lol... Now if flowering will take just over two months, I can harvest on 5/6/07 LMAO...

Back
Top Bottom