Flowering Stage Questions

Featherhead

First of all, I've been posting a grow journal on another site, but I don't want to break posting permissions on this lovely site. If this is possible let me know and I'll post a link.

But alrighty...On Day 42 of my grow (last Friday) I switched my lights to a flowering cycle.
A few things have come to my attention that I'd like to get straight:

1. About how long before I should start seeing signs of sex? I've heard a week thrown around quite often.
2. I know this stage is supposed to be more about "flowering" and "bud" growth, but how much more could my plant's main stalk potentially grow? I'm not totally naive in thinking that this organic life form is going to stop growing altogether, but this sort of slipped my mind. Right now my plant is right under my lights.
3. What are some actions I can take to ensure the health of my plant when it has maxed out its vertical space in the box? I think its too late to LST and I've been introduced to supercropping, but I really don't think I have the space.
4. Should I clip some leaves to make room for more light to hit the "buds" spots? If so which ones can be clipped.
5. Given this is a female, is there an appropriate time to clone if I wanted to? Just a thought.

Thanks. Any other suggestions or tips for the flowering cycle would be helpful.

(edit: FYI, this is an unknown strain - so there's that, and I'm growing in a large PC tower)

:thanks:

1.) 1-2 weeks
2.) The "stretch" after 12/12 is dependant on the strain. Pure Sativas can do up to 6 times, pure indicas may stop totally after 3-8cm.
3.) If the plant grows so high that it reaches the hot spot of the lamp you have to do something or the top will just die. The cheapest sollutions are topping the plant or just snapping it sideways. It wont hurt the plant and does the same as LST just a bit more radical.
4.) No, thats Hippie shit. The plant needs the big leaves because they do most of the work. More light on the budspots will not compensate for the loss of overall photosynthesis. Its like blowing up a nucklear plant to give the people with coal stoves in the house more work to heat the whole nation. Bogus!
5.) You missed the spot. Cloning plants already in flowering is possible, but you should have more expirience and a pro setup like HPS or MH lamps.

Cheers

3.) If the plant grows so high that it reaches the hot spot of the lamp you have to do something or the top will just die. The cheapest sollutions are topping the plant or just snapping it sideways. It wont hurt the plant and does the same as LST just a bit more radical.

I'm in the same situation as Bobby, but I've got a Lowryder #2. She is up to the lights and some of her leaves have started to burn. I trimmed them just past the burn. What should I do? She is about a week into flower and I was wondering if "snapping it sideways" would help.

Here is a photo. Any thoughts?

No photo :( Snapping it sideways does work fine. I did that like 1000 times to keep my outdoor low.

Sorry, here is another try for the photo!

cc0d6e366bd1.jpg

Sorry. I'm having trouble with this forum. Can't figure out how to upload a photo. I'm new here.

What is the process on snapping? I dont want to hurt my plant.

Crappy photo ^^ but I get the picture... looks like its too late for snapping... but for the future... snapping is just like it says: Snap the stem 90° sideways. It doesnt hurt the plant at all. It looks bad but hemp is very resilient to that treatment. Better snap than burn tho!

But dude that an aweful small box... maybe some

Crappy photo ^^ but I get the picture... looks like its too late for snapping... but for the future... snapping is just like it says: Snap the stem 90° sideways. It doesnt hurt the plant at all. It looks bad but hemp is very resilient to that treatment. Better snap than burn tho!

But dude that an aweful small box... maybe some

So you think i should do it anyways?

Just go easy with humidity and dont spray her until its healed. Just "snap" it, dont brake it off. Do it gently. You can "massage" the point at the stem prior snapping to make it soft.

I never had diseases because of it but I never did it in bloom.

Good luck!!!

Just go easy with humidity and dont spray her until its healed. Just "snap" it, dont brake it off. Do it gently. You can "massage" the point at the stem prior snapping to make it soft.

I never had diseases because of it but I never did it in bloom.

Good luck!!!

I bent her over but the stem cracked. :/

LR2_Cracked_Stem_01.jpg

LR2_Cracked_Stem_02.jpg

You think she'll be alright? Is there anything I can do?

UPDATE! Her head has already started to turn up and one of the fan leaves has turned around to face the light! Maybe she is okay.

Sorry, Iam from Germany so maybe I used the wrong word... but this looks exactly what I meant by "snapping". Bending until the stam cracks and the plant is 90° "cracked" to the side.

Everyone in Germany does that to keep outdoor plants low. Never seen any problems but as I said: Never done it in flowering...

Yeah, don't ever clip your leaves. That just stresses the plant out more. Plants have been surviving and thriving for years, to they generally will right themselves during troubled times.

It sounds like things are going to work themselves out and that they're already righting themselves.

Hooray for patience and level heads. It's the new growers who start doing all this crazy stuff that worry me. They think they can save every plant if they just know the secret to turning it around. ANd heck, sometimes plants just die.

good to hear things are on the mend.

She seems to be recovering. :) Her leaves and head have all turned toward the light. I'll post a new photo in a day or so. She should be good by then. Thanks again for all your help!

1.) 1-2 weeks
2.) The "stretch" after 12/12 is dependant on the strain. Pure Sativas can do up to 6 times, pure indicas may stop totally after 3-8cm.
4.) No, thats Hippie shit. The plant needs the big leaves because they do most of the work. More light on the budspots will not compensate for the loss of overall photosynthesis. Its like blowing up a nucklear plant to give the people with coal stoves in the house more work to heat the whole nation. Bogus!
5.) You missed the spot. Cloning plants already in flowering is possible, but you should have more expirience and a pro setup like HPS or MH lamps.

Cheers

Thanks so much for your response and info. I went ahead and topped it, so I'll send you a link to the pics so you can see it for yourself. Snapping it was just not practical for the limited space I have.

Good conversations everyone!
:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Thx champ! Happy to help! Hope I can post some of my Mandala "Satori" grow soon. Monster genetics... if you like Sativas you should try them!!!

Greetings from Germany!

Thx champ! Happy to help! Hope I can post some of my Mandala "Satori" grow soon. Monster genetics... if you like Sativas you should try them!!!

Greetings from Germany!

Wow! Monster Genetics indeed...looked her up...amazing. My little LR2 has come back strong. :) It looks like she may get back up into the lights though. That is, if she continues to grow taller. It just looks like she's bending up to reach the light right now. Do they usually get taller after you supercrop them? She has 19 days until she is done and should be focusing on bud growth, am I right? Either way I think I will just tie down the branch that is reaching upwards, if it gets any taller. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom