Flowering Under Blue Spectrum

Aroxol

Wondering if any of you have flowered the same pheno under red spectrum (traditional) vs blue spectrum only, and what the results were. I accidentally started flower on one of my strains under the veg setting of an LED and the results were basically incredibly compact new growth node spacing and almost no stretch. Looked absolutely nothing like the exact same pheno I was flowering in the tent next to it under more traditional red/ blue flower spectrums.

Because of that I’m left wondering if I/ we can manipulate stretch of sativas using this same accidental approach?

The spectrum chart of the specific light I was using is below (was on veg setting - so my guess is it probably ended where blue meets green).

90A3FDB2-12C0-4452-B7C4-3F937C8272A2.jpeg

My interest is mainly related to sativa because I have height limitations (like most folks). Was the ultra compact node and stretch I encountered a fluke or have any of you DRAMATICALLY reduced stretch by leveraging blue spectrum only for first 3 weeks of flower? If so, when you switched over to red did you encounter the traditional growth/ stretch you were trying to minimize in the first 3 weeks under blue or did the plant remain in its compacted state?

I saw such dramatic results by accidental side by side on a pheno I understand, so it has me wondering if anyone has run more of a formal test?

Anyone have space and want to run this test?

I’ll ship you the light if that’s allowed on here?

Requires someone who has a pheno they know very well, meaning they’ve flowered at least a couple of times under traditional flowering spectrums and get consistent height results.

The test will be to use the light I send you for the first 3 weeks of flower and then switch back to your normal light so we can see if/ how much of an impact it has (if any). Im likely limited to sending a light within US, preferably west coast due to costs. I’d like to do this myself, but don’t have space.

Edit: To be ultra clear, not selling or promoting any brands. No money or company names involved, just trying to understand if this could eliminate stretch... if it could, game changer.

A more blue spectrum will reduce plant strecth to some extent within the genetic disposition - see the NASA studies on plants and light.

I would still like to see someone taking up the offer to test it out though :)

Hiya bud, I just used a cmh for the first 5 weeks of flower (sativa) and it's definitely much better than the 2k red hps. Couldn't get the hang of the stretch under the hps so left it packed away untill last week and my plants are thanking me for it. Cant stand hps when the plants are still growing. Gave me lanky munters every time. Got a much better structure this time with the cmh. I prefer blurples over both for veg to be honest but just cos I'm used to them. They're good for short, wide plants.

Alright boys, I’m going to run this experiment myself. In an effort to consolidate threads and not have to respond in too many places, I’m going to post all the details in my eagle bill grow (linked in signature). Should be able to fail fast and/or have direct comparisons between normal and blue on same strain/ phenos.

Oldish thread, but I'm hitting week 4 of flower and the main light I'm using has a pretty well rounded spectrum, maybe even leans more towards the blue spectrum, I also have several supplementary lights with a mix of 2700k and majority 3000k and the first few weeks I noticed very little stretch, maybe like 2 inches max and I couldn't figure out why. Although I don't know the strain and I transplanted her the first week of flower and I read that doing that could prevent significant stretching. Regardless, im wondering if the higher blue spectrum in my light caused my plant to stay more squat instead of fully stretching

Back
Top Bottom