Flushing & Leaching & Final Bud Swell

Organic and synthetic are exactly the same. This is a fact, anything else is an opinion. Don't express an opinion as though it is a fact.
Again, a ridiculous statement. They are completely different methods that are not even compatable with each other. It seems clear from your recent writings that some of your opinions are about as far away from fact as they could be. I don't mind talking about opinions, but when you get insulting about things, telling me not to bother to work on my book for instance, this is way over the line. There are times when a relative newbie in growing weeds needs to stop throwing out opinions and listen to those who really do know.

have grown "chemical" and "organic" each but now I use both I grown organicly with the help of "chemicals" which I look at as steroids (use chemicals once a week _ - type - depends om plant stage of growth, Feel I have reached a happy medium with both !!!! *chemical and organic)
There really isn't a wrong way to grow. There is a lot of misinformation and some disinformation.

first, it is 36 hours of darkness that causes the magic to happen... and yes there is science to back this. It may not be University based science at this point, simply because in most places growing this stuff is still illegal, but I have made a point over the last 5 years or so to not only explain why this works, but to document it in my journals. I formed a hypothesis and a theory, and set out to prove the results. That is science, even if conducted in the grow rooms of a licensed cultivator in Missouri.

Briefly, the proven theory is this: We know that the bright lights degrade the trichomes once they are ripe. This is why we hang them and dry them in the dark. So once the amber has hit the point we need, putting them in darkness for 36 hours appears to grow both new and add length and girth to the existing trichomes. Plants still grow at night, so during this 36 hours, the trichomes continue to grow, but we don't allow bright light to degrade any of them during that 36 hours. That's all it is, lack of harmful light, but still growing. 36 hours appears to be the point when the plant starts reacting to the constant dark and no benefit seems to be gained by going longer than this. Many tests have been run and documented in my grow journals that show that 24 hours is not enough to gain any significant growth, and 36 hours seems to be the peak. Science my friend... it is being conducted every day in my grow rooms and it is documented for all to see... please check it out.
Again a mostly misdirected concept of darkness. LED lights do not suddenly damage trichomes after weeks of making them grow. Light is the power that makes plants grow. Depriving light will never make weed better. Professor Bugbee explained it.
Shutting off the light changes other parameters as well. I tried this 36 hours of darkness and got no results and I can understand what I did that created it to not happen. I had grown massive buds and was worried about but rot. I also was struggling with keeping my grow tent at the temperature I wanted. I don't remember the exact days, 2-3 weeks before harvest. I wound up having much lower temps at night, 55 degrees. I also dropped RH to 38%. A drop in temperature and/or RH changes caused the trichomes to swell prior to harvest. Because I had already created an environment conducive to allow the plant to make bigger trichs nothing happened in the cooler darkness of 36 hours.

Cause and effect. Not my opinion, Professor Bugbee says darkness is not the answer here. I recognize a train scientist as my reference. Plants do continue to grow for a couple hours after lights out. Marijuana plants are like other plants in that they wont grow anything in the dark. I don't think it takes a University study or even a burnout grower long to figure out plants die in the dark. Cause and effect 5th graders understand from their science class. Write your book. Maybe a stupid burnout will pay for it. All the burnouts I ever knew are actually really smart, except Bob. Bob had issues. Everyone liked Bob.

Two grows and you are already quoting Bugbee at me. You will learn, Grasshopper, we are on the forefront here. I'll bet he never tried lots of things that are in common use today. So now you are calling me a lier too... quite the way to make friends. Lol
Nobody is calling you a liar. You want references, there it is. Bugbee has a 1' 45" video that I watched until I understood every word. A few more from Bradley Smith. That's about all you need to know. 5 or 6 hours of study and add water. I am not your friend, that doesn't mean you need to be aggressive. Passive aggressive is still aggressive. Confident strong people don't get so defensive. There is a massive difference between being an excellent grower and being a qualified botanical expert
Two grows in and most people make great buds in three. I already have basic gardening skills It's a very simple thing to grow superb herb. Some say it grows like a weed.
I won't win any competitions but my first and my second grow made better pot than anything I can buy on the street or can afford in a dispensary. The very top shelf stuff is better looking than mine and has nuances in taste that mine don't have. I will make appropriate corrections if the spirit moves me. I will add "sweeteners" earlier in flower. Much better environmental controls for the future. That will help the growing and the curing as well.
I would like to learn more about better plant training techniques just for something to do. I figure all this should get my pot just as good as the top shelf weed.
Genetics have improved so much in recent years that even average weed is almost too good. The days of ditch weed are over. Anymore a bag with even a seed or two is not likely. How much better does this shit need to get? I am just looking for the right effect from the medicine I grow.

Kids.......

Simmer down....

It's just plants in dirt.

They grow wild around here.

It's called hemp, from long gone industrial rope making.
:Namaste:
I have decided not to play this game with that player. I have said what I wanted to say and I am done. I have no need to try to convince, anyone, and I think what has been written already is enough to let anyone make up their minds on all of these issues. If I have offended anyone, save one, I am sorry. Peace and positive energy to everyone. Please have a wonderful day. :peace: :love:

Again a mostly misdirected concept of darkness. LED lights do not suddenly damage trichomes after weeks of making them grow. Light is the power that makes plants grow. Depriving light will never make weed better. Professor Bugbee explained it.
Shutting off the light changes other parameters as well. I tried this 36 hours of darkness and got no results and I can understand what I did that created it to not happen. I had grown massive buds and was worried about but rot. I also was struggling with keeping my grow tent at the temperature I wanted. I don't remember the exact days, 2-3 weeks before harvest. I wound up having much lower temps at night, 55 degrees. I also dropped RH to 38%. A drop in temperature and/or RH changes caused the trichomes to swell prior to harvest. Because I had already created an environment conducive to allow the plant to make bigger trichs nothing happened in the cooler darkness of 36 hours.

Cause and effect. Not my opinion, Professor Bugbee says darkness is not the answer here. I recognize a train scientist as my reference. Plants do continue to grow for a couple hours after lights out. Marijuana plants are like other plants in that they wont grow anything in the dark. I don't think it takes a University study or even a burnout grower long to figure out plants die in the dark. Cause and effect 5th graders understand from their science class. Write your book. Maybe a stupid burnout will pay for it. All the burnouts I ever knew are actually really smart, except Bob. Bob had issues. Everyone liked Bob.
Good luck with your book, include pictures. People like pictures. Now your book can compete with thousands of other gardening books written by real authors with degrees in sciences and training in English writing. Plan on using the cost of the book as a business loss. It is a common why to front a money laundering scheme. Talk to your tax advisor first then, use this to make a killing to hide your pot profits. It works.
believe darkness can shorten flower times - have given a plant once in flower a 24hrs dark time ,lets say in week 4 of flower and have noticed that the plant mature's faster. Some methods require a 24-36hr dark time before transition stage (12/12 flip) this shorten flower times also (for 100% sativa's (ref: Dr. GreenThumbs - Panama Red) thoughts ??

believe darkness can shorten flower times - have given a plant once in flower a 24hrs dark time ,lets say in week 4 of flower and have noticed that the plant mature's faster. Some methods require a 24-36hr dark time before transition stage (12/12 flip) this shorten flower times also (for 100% sativa's (ref: Dr. GreenThumbs - Panama Red) thoughts ??

Hello
I don’t understand how 24-36hrs at the end of flower changes a buds composition considering that time frame is little more than a cloudy couple days to a plant in the wild. Does lack of light for aprox 2-4% (8weeks 7days per week 56days of bloom 2days of darkness) of the bloom cycle at the end or even in the middle actually have the potential to change the outcome by a measurable difference. I would wonder if 12/12 vs 10/14 vs 8/16 would over the bloom period have a more measurable effect be it positive or negative based on a specific strain as every strain could react differently. Does looking in my tent once every 2 weeks for 3 minutes during lights out with my iPhone flashlight have the potential to change my THC level at harvest?

I conclude by simply stating no technic can be assumed to work cut and dried when deciding what to do before you cut and dry with so many variables over such a long period of time being uncontrolled.

Ive read much of this thread some very interesting hypothesis happy 420 to all.

first, it is 36 hours of darkness that causes the magic to happen... and yes there is science to back this. It may not be University based science at this point, simply because in most places growing this stuff is still illegal, but I have made a point over the last 5 years or so to not only explain why this works, but to document it in my journals. I formed a hypothesis and a theory, and set out to prove the results. That is science, even if conducted in the grow rooms of a licensed cultivator in Missouri.

Briefly, the proven theory is this: We know that the bright lights degrade the trichomes once they are ripe. This is why we hang them and dry them in the dark. So once the amber has hit the point we need, putting them in darkness for 36 hours appears to grow both new and add length and girth to the existing trichomes. Plants still grow at night, so during this 36 hours, the trichomes continue to grow, but we don't allow bright light to degrade any of them during that 36 hours. That's all it is, lack of harmful light, but still growing. 36 hours appears to be the point when the plant starts reacting to the constant dark and no benefit seems to be gained by going longer than this. Many tests have been run and documented in my grow journals that show that 24 hours is not enough to gain any significant growth, and 36 hours seems to be the peak. Science my friend... it is being conducted every day in my grow rooms and it is documented for all to see... please check it out.

I have gained useful knowledge from your journals well worth reading. Without people writing journals this site would not be such a wealth of knowledge and simply fall into the social media category.

Noob here, but to make these statements about 'dark time' doing X to a plant,,,
Wouldn't you need a sister plant in the same grow that doesn't get this dark treatment? The 'Control'.
A - B testing.?

I also in the last 48 hours like to make a cut at the base of the plants stock. A simple cut half way through the stock or a little less will send this plant into even heavier trichome and resin production. The plant thinks it's being eaten by a deer or animal and when you hit them with the 8/16 sched...
Wow, almost sounds cruel....either way it makes a lot of sense. Being an outdoor farmer growing in bags I normally tote the plants into a dark shed a couple days before harvest, this year I'll do a cut at their base as you suggested.

I love this forum, great place for knowledge. @KidGrow420 thanks for the info.

Hello
I don’t understand how 24-36hrs at the end of flower changes a buds composition considering that time frame is little more than a cloudy couple days to a plant in the wild. Does lack of light for aprox 2-4% (8weeks 7days per week 56days of bloom 2days of darkness) of the bloom cycle at the end or even in the middle actually have the potential to change the outcome by a measurable difference. I would wonder if 12/12 vs 10/14 vs 8/16 would over the bloom period have a more measurable effect be it positive or negative based on a specific strain as every strain could react differently. Does looking in my tent once every 2 weeks for 3 minutes during lights out with my iPhone flashlight have the potential to change my THC level at harvest?

I conclude by simply stating no technic can be assumed to work cut and dried when deciding what to do before you cut and dry with so many variables over such a long period of time being uncontrolled.

Ive read much of this thread some very interesting hypothesis happy 420 to all.
this dark time start before the 12/12 flip (24hr dark time Before flip to flower -- this is not at the end of the grow !!

Tried the 48 hours darkness, couldn't tell a difference. Think if you have solid genetics it doesn't matter. Just my own experience, doesn't mean im right.
Also, just recently changed back to salts, been growing organic since 2008. Only reason i changed over is my wife and i moved. Was very suprised the flowers were just as good if not better.
Really just comes down to genetics and grower skill set.

Not wanting to piss anyone off, not my intention just my own experience.
Cheers everyone burn one

this dark time start before the 12/12 flip (24hr dark time Before flip to flower -- this is not at the end of the grow !!

I Agree with the dark span at time of flip to flower cycle that makes sense to me considering the flip is unnatural when considering how actual sun cycles work. We are manipulating mother nature when we bring them inside and start controlling things for our benefits not necessarily for the plants benefit. I generalized my comment based on reading several posts from this thread I apologize if I wasn’t clear or seemed pointed to your post.
I enjoy reading peoples opinions and perceptions of growing nuances it makes me think and consider how I can improve on my own practices.
Grow Hard & Happy 420!!

I have !!!!! when I want to shorten flower times (check Dr.Greenthumbs)
Im with you on this one. 11/13 flowers will mature faster, some strains ive seen 7 days. Especially, with sativa doms.
Wouldn't recommend it on some indica strains as it can really impact your yield. Good solid veg will fix that problem though.

Noob here, but to make these statements about 'dark time' doing X to a plant,,,
Wouldn't you need a sister plant in the same grow that doesn't get this dark treatment? The 'Control'.
A - B testing.?
Give this a read… I ran an A, B, C test a few years back. @Emilya was around for it, along with many others. I do it every time now. I’ve actually gone 5 days just to see what happens. 36 hours seems to be the sweet spot.

Do these trichomes look done? Zoom

There have been studies where they measure the thc and terpene content of weed harvested with a 0 to 48 hour dark period . They found a significant shift in both thc content and terpene profile after the dark period.

There have been studies where they measure the thc and terpene content of weed harvested with a 0 to 48 hour dark period . They found a significant shift in both thc content and terpene profile after the dark period.

I have not read those studies but a question comes to mind does the cutting of the main stalk abruptly halt the effect of the dark period when there is said to be a certain amount of activity within the plant after it is cut. I guess Im wondering should a plant be cut at the base and hung inverted for a length of time or could you assume maximum has been reached and you can disassemble the plant so to speak depending on your method of trimming and curing? How could that effect the end result?

Back
Top Bottom