Flushing & Leaching & Final Bud Swell

re: Flushing & Leaching & Final Bud Swell

So what you are saying is: put in jars directly after harvest for 3-4 weeks (burpping) then let out to dry; once dry put back into jars ?

All of that sounds correct. I only disagreed on what I read as a misinterpretation of nutrient uptake. You appear to have that down. I've got no issue with organics as a grow method, it's much easier to grow a healthy plant, as the soil does it all with so little effort or worry. I do disagree that organics make it taste better, at least not because organic is special in some way. I would attribute this to, haha, synthetic growers using too high ppm. So, grown poorly, synthetic will taste worse. Organic makes it hard to do that, so results are consistently better. Also, dilution could be the problem too. Same amount of aromatics, but increased dry mass, equals less smell per unit of mass.

So far I've used soil, soilless mix, and a home mixed supersoil, using a popular recipe, forgetc the guys name. Ice something? I love all three for different reasons.

I currently have five plants in organic soil and on organic soluble nutrients, and just harvested two organic/synthetic hybrid regimen plants. I've determined, both organic and synthetic nutrients have their benefits, and so I use both, to great success on my latest grow.

My outdoor plants get supersoil and organic ferts if necessary. My lawn too.

I use "chemical" nutrient as steroids (feed once a week) then feed "organic (1 x per week) So; one is only feeding 2x's per week the remaineing days are just water and dry periods. thoughts ?

I recently read an article by a commercial grower who seems to agree with you that flushing may not be useful. He also said that you lose yield by flushing at the last two weeks. I don't flush. It does make sense to me to reduce the nutes greatly as the plant finishes and just give it clear water. Sounds like a reasonable compromise.

If nitrogen is the culprit, why would you check at the bottom of the plant?

No, that provides no new information. Nitrogen is not it. It's moisture.

A bud pulled directly off a plant will 100% not burn anywhere near as well as a dry bud that was fed any amount of fertilizer. If you burn a bud right off the plant you'll end up with a hard black lump in your bowl. Keep burning it and it will eventually go white. But why would you?

Look, flushing cannot work on flowers. Nothing leaves flowers. It's plant physiology. Flowers are sinks, not sources, they don't store anything. It's biology man.

Yes that would be anecdotal only.

talking about it gets one nowhere at some point a person needs to step out of their comfort zone and test.

This harvest i am going to flush for two weeks in hydro and there will be nothing anecdotal about it

if the flavor is kick ass good like you read about its then a fact

It should come out top shelf not bottom drawer like with un flushed weed

haha true

I was being totally tongue in cheek Conradino. You'd have to read the rest of the thread probably to get a hint what I meant. The mods deleted a very large chunk of the thread near the end
..as the 'real life experience' vs. 'science' debate got more and more ridiculous.

Its funny but im on my 3rd grow in over 10 years .. haha I took time off.

Back in the day i used garden fertilizers and flushed for 1 month solid and I kid you not grew top shelf !

Totally flavorful and totally white in trichomes using just dry chemical fertilizers and a 30 day flush.

Well it could always have been better my point is it had great flavor you knew it was good shit

My last 3 grows were not flushed properly so were cured slowly and the taste was still lacking so this next crop is a kind of test just one that i know the answers to already.

And one that I can hardly wait to vape ..haha

I have learned and use several techniques towards the end of my grows to help swell the resin glands and almost quadruple trichome production. It's a old techinique I have mentioned on here before (around the formus) in guidling and helping people get the most out of their crop... The last 2 weeks of flush is standard. No matter what you grow with or how you grow it. That simple. BUT, in the last 48-56 hours of the plants life another "technique" I use comes into play. I switch the humidity down to 25-32%, then hit em with a 8/16 light schedule. This 8 hours of light and 16 of dark sends the plant into HEAVY Trichome production and swells the resin sacks to the size of grapes. In most cases (with me) the trichome production AT LEAST triples. I also in the last 48 hours like to make a cut at the base of the plants stock. A simple cut half way through the stock or a little less will send this plant into even heavier trichome and resin production. The plant thinks it's being eaten by a deer or animal and when you hit them with the 8/16 sched... Man o Man. It tricks the plant into thinking it's day is defiantly numbered by insinuating winter is upon her and shes getting eaten... These techniques towards in the last 48-56 hours will not only help you get bigger stickier buds. But it will also give you substantial increase in potency. BUT, do not let it go to long or your plant will nanner. And we obviously do not want this. This is why I say the last 48-56 hours. After many tests I find this is the "sweet spot" and wont deal with any nanners. ;) :Namaste::thumb:

PSS: Since this post was about the ending "techniques" used in harvesting cannabis, I thought I would "expose" a few more secrets used by master and advanced growers world wide. :Namaste:
Just found your comment. This is VERY interesting as I am less than 5 days from harvest.
I'm going to try this on my Blue dream girls!
Thank you.

GreenProto's Blue Dream First Grow Journal - 2016

I flush to evacuate the chemical taste after drying.
Personal experience. In my mind the taste is better

Sent from my SM-N920P using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Just found your comment. This is VERY interesting as I am less than 5 days from harvest.
I'm going to try this on my Blue dream girls!
Thank you.

GreenProto's Blue Dream First Grow Journal - 2016
I'll be watching carefully, and if it works, my blue dream will get the same treatment, in a couple weeks. I wish all my strains, produced as much as the blue dream. now I got to go start reading your journal. Good luck GP !!

So far I plan on doing the customary 2 week flush but will try 6 hours of light for the last four days for time to complete other metabolic processes that may increase trichome production further
`````````````````````````````````````````
Currently the plants drink little for the first 6 hours in the morning then drink hard like clockwork the humidity rises and the reservoir starts to lower , this time as a test they will get that 6 hours under the lights to do what they do.

LEDBud - your "science" is overwhelming.. wow!

OK you grow in soil or are you growing Hydroponically..

I think you're growing in Hydro.

Here's a good experiment for you. I've already done 100 times maybe more, so I know the answer.

Take a Hydro tomato - taste it

Take an organic tomato grown in organic soil no added "nutrients" - taste it

Side by side sliced up

Whats the difference in color, smell and taste?

Tomato is a plant, cannabis is a plant... they grow exactly the same way ... unless you have some "super" weed that grows with some kind of other world science we don't know about. Please share....

Flushing soil is to remove anything but excess N in the soil is bullshit.. Flushing excess N from the soil is also bullshit and is polluting our environment. But hey, thanks for sharing. This will be a (good) reason for government to put an end to your growing.

We need to start thinking more about sustainability and not profits... get away from that corporate mentality. Or you can rest assured, corporations will be growing your weed and it will be completely illegal for you to grow it... Tobacco come to mind.... anyone??

Corporations and profits will be the driving force behind the end of prohibition.. Monsanto is already on it BIG TIME. BigAG flushes but they let mother nature do it for them... again thanks, thanks for nothin.

Oh and I have a question on the feeding the plant paradigm, what do you chem growers do with the soil medium AFTER your grow is over??

Please share .... I'm guessing you throw it in the garbage and not even the compost pile?? Please, I hope not.

I'm not an organic nazi, using chemical nutrients CAN be done responsibly (with a lot more work than organics), but the problem is someone comes up with an idea that is not science like "flushing soil" and it becomes a "defacto" standard based on nothing but hear-say or I read it in a grow bible... now its "science" because ..... everyone does it??

Everyone go check out the environmental concerns in NorCal (only 3 generations of growing) from nutrient runoff. Flushing kinda works but not the way you think it does. It's not beneficial, its not environmentally safe and most of all doesn't create or even contribute to better tasting buds.

No way - no how - no science. Simple really.

I think you deserve what you harvest , I sense your a newbie no one with experience would suggest such nonsense.as what you have.

Don't preach to me your sounding childish

Why are these people so set against flushing its ridiculous and the newbies are proving to be the the worse ..wtf

They must be reading some posts somewhere or are just too lazy or plain too impatience to flush , probably the latter.

From here on out I want to be clear IF you don't want to flush DON't

I could care less just don't include me in your nonsense its like hanging out in pre school

I challenge anyone with a interest in Quality control to try a 2 week flush the rest of you enjoy your firecracker weed black ash and *snap* *crackle* and *pop* while you smoke it.

I know more then you might think and proudly use Hydro nutrients and not animal shit like many well meaning newbies do.

bobbrown14 , curious

if I was too go and check on your journal am I going to find a sad little garden or big healthy plants , I'm not sure if I should go look , it may be kinda sad I don't want to see that or are you doing alright with your organics ?

And harvest size how is that treating you , good or bad ?

Im curious after all your talking the talk now lets see if you walk the walk

Bobrown is actually one of the most knowledgeable organic growers on 420. Yeah go check his plants.

I've got no interest in wading into this thread discussion again other than pointing that out - and - I haven't pre-harvest flushed in about a year. I just feed at a sane level and taper off the nutes at the end and then keep them on a very low level high P/no N bloom supplement through to the end, at about 150 ppm. They finish better than ever, and yes I spent many years flushing.

bobbrown14 , curious

if I was too go and check on your journal am I going to find a sad little garden or big healthy plants ?

I'm not sure if I should go look , it may be kinda sad hey or are you doing alright ?

Go get em... just go to the end since it's such a new journal and I've only been at this a week now... shouldn't take you long....

I'm doing fine.... I almost flushed once .... hahaha No joke. I didn't think it was the thing to do so I actually did some research.

I'd be much more harsh about this paradigm but that was me being friendly. ^^^ It's not personal, IF I could get 100 people to put down bottled nutes and just try 100% organic soil, that would make my year or 2. Eventually economics will play her hand, once corporate Amerika gets into this. The only way to fight that is to grow higher quality for less $$. The only way to do that is use what you have in your own back yard with a little help from the feed store, not the hydro store.

This summer do the Tomato test.. trust me you will be looking into another way to do this! Just sayin.. Its not even close... seriously.

Actually caned tomatoes from Italy taste better than fresh hydro tomatoes.. kinda hard to argue that...well you could argue tomatoes aren't plants, or Cannabis isn't a plant like other plants... I dunno..

I promise to be nice, go take a look at me gears. I'm not 100% successful.. and I mess up from time to time. I've been growing organically since b-4 kinde-garden. Think about the nursery rhyme about Jack and the Bean Stalk... classroom full of 3 year olds and my bean plant grew up to the ceiling and back down again... everyone else.. 4-6"... someone spiked my plant with N I bet. hahaha

My best grow yield wise was when I went out of country for 5 weeks straight middle of flower. I set up everything automated ... nothing but water from a huge reservoir. I just vaped up the last big nug from that grow and its psychedelic .. got me way way out there... I thought I was on the moon. Nothing but laughing .... thought I was eating shrooms there for a sec.

AS you spend more time growing your plants will get nicer and nicer I went and looked at your plants I'm not going to disrespect you. I can appreciate your outlook.

i remember back in the day I used both.at the same time now its straight up hydro nutrients.

The world needs us all even people who make or use chemical fertilizers have a place of value.

Back
Top Bottom