Flytier's CKS CBDream Journal: From The Beginning This Time

flytier

JUNE 09, 2017

So this is my second grow journal and I'm starting it at the same time I put the seeds down. There's a store in town that deals in Crop King Seeds, so that's the brand that I get. It saves lots of waiting time and the uncertainty of getting something through mail order (although I've had two packs of seeds come from CKS in the past and they arrived on time and in perfect shape).

I've been wanting to try some high CBD plants for quite some time, and although I had a pack before, not one of them germinated. I'm pretty certain I'm having difficulty with the paper towel stage, so this time I'm skipping that part altogether and going straight to soil using 5" pots with clear plastic covers to keep humidity in.

The medium I'm using for this stage is starter soil, bought at the local Co-Op farm supply store with about 20% perlite that I mixed in with it. I didn't wet the soil down thoroughly, but put enough in to make it damp. The cover will keep the dampness in the soil. As a sidenote, I'm using the same pots for trying White Widow clones and I have yet to add extra water. This way, I know the wetness will be consistent and there will be no messing around with handling the delicate taproots. The seeds are about 1/2 cm deep in the dirt. I've read to plant them 1/2", but that seems kind of deep.

As a safety measure, out of the 5-pack I only planted two. This way if anything goes wrong I have backups. That was one of the grievous errors I made with seeds in the past - planting them all at once. That's one thing about trial and error: when you learn something, it's pretty much going to stick.

I'm working on getting a perpetual harvest system on the go with a rotation of strains. So far I have all White Widows, but hopefully I'm going to succeed in getting these CBDreams to pop. On the top shelf I'll have seedlings and veg's and on the bottom I'll have early bud and late bud, two plants in each stage, and eventually I'd like to have four different strains. Since space is limited, my plan is to go with mainly indicas.

So here's the beginning of my next grow; not an exciting picture yet. Wish me luck.

DSCI0920a.jpg

Right on. I never mentioned, but I'm starting them with CFLs for veg and going to a combination of CFLs and LED floodlights for flower. I have some White Widows budding now which should be ready to harvest at the end of next month. Can't wait to try the CBDs. Gropwing this stuff for arthritis and anxiety.

What part of Alberta you in? I was in Cold Lake in the Air Force back in the 80s.

I grew CKS CB Dutch Treat a couple years ago....it was for a friend who had lung cancer...

Did it help? I'm interested to see if will calm my nerves a bit, and the wife wants to try it to see if it will help her sleep.

Oh hey flytier, well her story was she had stage 4 lung cancer and she was spending $3k a month on oils, it was helping her, put her cancer into remission but it was draining her funds fast, so I talked with my wife and we decided to help her and try growing it. So I bought all the equipment, nutrients and bought CD Dutch Treat. We were going to surprise her with our stealth grow. Well shortly after I started the grow, she stopped taking the oils, I was panicked because I was still 3 months away from my first harvest. Her lung cancer came back with a vengeance. We eventually revealed to her our secret grow, but she resigned herself to dying and refused our help...she died. That had shocked us...I kind of stopped growing after that until just recently.

Oh hey flytier, well her story was she had stage 4 lung cancer and she was spending $3k a month on oils, it was helping her, put her cancer into remission but it was draining her funds fast, so I talked with my wife and we decided to help her and try growing it. So I bought all the equipment, nutrients and bought CD Dutch Treat. We were going to surprise her with our stealth grow. Well shortly after I started the grow, she stopped taking the oils, I was panicked because I was still 3 months away from my first harvest. Her lung cancer came back with a vengeance. We eventually revealed to her our secret grow, but she resigned herself to dying and refused our help...she died. That had shocked us...I kind of stopped growing after that until just recently.

Wow! That's a sad story. She was that much against taking the weed? My father is in Nfld. and has severe anxiety and panic attacks and he refuses to touch it; he'd rather wait until an attack hits, pop an Ativan and cry himself into oblivion. When anxiety hits me, if I have anything to smoke (which is rare at this point), I'll spark one up and think to myself, well that's better; I think I'll find something to do now. He's just a victim of lies and propaganda from decades past.

Ya a hit to the heart for sure. I have Depression and anxiety...o trying to grow strains that help those conditions...I usually check with the leafly app...when I can get enuff scratch together I want to pick up Maui Wowie as it's highly recommended for Depression and anxiety...maybe sample the Dream once it gets flowering ;)

Depression and anxiety, yup, me too. Plus Epilepsy. Genetic; a lot of us in the family have brain disorders. I know that a good puff in general brings me out of a funk, but now that I'm into the hobby I can experiment and see what does me best. I can handle being my own lab rat for something like this.

We have a store in town that sells CKS so when I have a few extra bucks there's a couple more strains that I want to get, Hash Plant being one of them, because it's kind of middle of the road for THC, CBD and CBN. Plus the taste sends me over the edge hahaha. Not sure what I want for the last strain yet, but I'll figure it out when the time comes.

Four strains in a perpetual harvest rotation should be a good system to get into.

JUNE 12, 2017

When I got home from work today I checked in on my seeds to see if there were any germinating, and I found one above ground. As well, I put down the remaining three seeds from the pack using different techniques: one went directly to soil in a starter soil/compound mix with composts, perlite, topsoil and a premade soil mix; one went into a cup of water before being planted in a mixed soil today; and the last one went into a cup of water with two drops of 35% hydrogen peroxide for a little oxygen before being planted into a mixed pot today. The second of the two original seeds hasn't come up yet, but all I can do is wait for now.

DSCI0934a.jpg

Woohoo....whenever they pop up, I always talk to them and praise them...lol kind of like the old guy in jurassic park when he walking talking to the baby dinosaur emerging from its shell...lol

Woohoo....whenever they pop up, I always talk to them and praise them...lol kind of like the old guy in jurassic park when he walking talking to the baby dinosaur emerging from its shell...lol

No kidding. Three of them are popped now. I only have to see the last two that I tried in the water and if I have 100% that will be a big leap forward with the run of shitty luck I've been having with seeds, Actually the 60% I have now is quite good luck for me. In my last post I made a mistake: one of the ones I said went into a pot of soil actually went into a peat starter pellet, and it's one of the successful ones.

Yeah, no more of that paper towel crap for me; that caused me to lose way too many seeds, like 19 out of 25, to be precise. That's a big loss of money, even with the company replacing some of them. I was almost ready to give up on it, but I know that if I did then I'd be SOL because I can't find any weed around town, not being from here and all. I've been without it since March and there's days that the arthritis has me in severe pain, not to mention the occasional anxiety. I am, however, in the process of looking into an MMJ card. Until then, it's stealth closet growing for me (but then I'm going to continue it anyway just for the enjoyment).

And now, one day later, I have two more seedlings out of the ground: the second one from the first day that they were planted and the one in the peat starter pellet from the second day. The two from the first lot now have the beginnings of true leaves as well.

One of the ones from the first day is placed outdoors with the humidity dome still on it to get acclimated to the new conditions. I have it surrounded by other pots to avoid too much direct sun for a couple days. The second one is in the grow room with the dome removed to get on with the job of growing in there, and the one in the peat pellet still has the dome over it to keep from drying out.

That leaves the two that were first put in water on the third day, since they were the last ones anyway. If they show themselves tomorrow, it will mean no difference between going in the water and going straight to the soil. When I put them into the soil, they did have splits along the seams.

DSCI0945a.jpg

DSCI0947a1.jpg

DSCI0948a.jpg

JUNE 15, 2017

And now, yet one more day later, I have all five of the seeds out of the ground and growing. So there's really no difference between pre-soaking the seeds and putting them straight to soil with regard to time and percentage of germination. For me, it's all better than using the paper towel.

Back
Top Bottom