Forcing plants to produce accessory pigments?

Check out 'Cannabis Breeding and Genetics' by Robert Connell Clarke, it's a good read.. The traits can be bred for anthocyanin pigments. You really have to be passionate about it though. And mutations can be forced also. Take for example yellow sweet corn. It's the product of radiation experiments on seeds. Same thing with cannabis. The thing in the book he explains so well is, if we keep on the track of hybrids, or the plant itself becomes patentable in legalization. Will that mean loss of older strains and the genetics that go with it? Like if a new virus comes up and kills off cannabis as we know it. Will we be able to reach back into a seed bank and breed for resistance. My concern is like alcohol, if mass production is the thing.. Will we have the same type of laws where methanol is allowed to be mixed into every drink?

Once you get a strain you like for a particular purpose. Selfing it with colloidal silver or in his book he uses acid, seems to skip the stabilization process. For the layman that may be good enough to preserve your strain. You need quite a bit of time/resources to breed for traits

There is a concept called 'epigenetics' Pushing gene expression by conditions can be reflected and influence offspring. So i guess given enough conditions, selection and time, you could do it. Or you could GMO if you had the $.

Is that purple plant real or photo shopped?

Those photos look edited,
as there is no tonal difference anywhere on the plant, we all see new growth being lighter in colour also petioles here I see nothing, shots agaist various colours , please prove me wrong, ,!

Plants can turn photons from any PAR wavelength into photosynthetic energy, they just do it more efficiently with red and blue light than the other wavelengths. That process uses chlorophyll even if the chlorophyll wasn't the pigment to absorb the photon. That makes me seriously doubt that you could make the plant produce enough extra of another pigment relative to chlorophyll to change it's color away from green, though it could be a different shade of green. Genetic manipulation should be the only way to force that to happen, and there's enough of that happening already in our food :/

True that

I do think that some manipulation of the plant pigments can be done with lighting (to an extent). I've seen this 1st hand in a couple instances.

Currently I am running all blue LED's by advanced led (EX VEG 200) and the plants in veg under the all blue spectrum are much lighter and more vibrant green than plants run under full spectrum LED's.

Another instance of manipulation of photopigments is bleaching of buds. I believe this is caused by the cholorplasts moving to the outer cell walls instead of across the face of the cell, as well as less chlorophyll is present which is why the buds turn white as they lack a majority of photosyntetic pigments.

In tomato's, the addition of 660nm red light increased the volitile compounds in the fruit resulting in a better tasting tomato vs the same plants grown under white LED.

Plants grown under red light have shown to have increased B-Carotene levels than plants grown under white or blue light.

Wheat plants grown under low irradiance of red light had shown chlorophyll accumulation under 100umol/m2/s-1 but the accumulation of chlorphyll was inhibited at higher irradiance of red light at 500 umol/m2/s-1. The addition of 15% blue to the 500 umo/m2/s-1 removed the inhibition of chlorophyll. The reason believed is with high irradiance of red light, photo oxidation of chlorophyl was destroying new chlorophyll molecules.

I have also read that plants under HPS light typically have double the amount of chlorophyll as plants grown under sunlight because the plants have to work double as hard to render HPS light useful as a large chunk of HPS light is IR.

These are just some examples that I have found that show in fact yes, light irradiance and spectrum can significantly change certain factors of a plants growth, flavor, color, terpenes, oils...etc... Now can we change a green plant to make it orange??? maybe with genetics modifications or years of selective breeding under certain conditions, or even many generations down the line due to epigenetic triggers....but I do think manipulation to a point can be achieved. The problem is there is very limited studies still in the plant lighting world to fully understand each individual plant species.

We all do realize that the color of any plant is simply what is reflected back into the eye and observed? All spectra of light are absorbed fully except for the ones we see when and where we see them. I am not a botanist, nor a chemist, but I know that color in flora is based on the operability of the eye to gather it, not the flora to produce it. In other words, we see what we can see, the plant just reflects or absorbs light along the spectrum.

image1887.jpg
image1887.jpg

This is a great example of colour change. Genetics, nutes and light spectrum(time of year) all had a hand.
Nice ah
Some signature youve got there lolololol do you honestly believe what it says? Just curious. Hahaha !

Here's how It should be done, if it were to be TESTED:

First adjust light to a specific spectrum, other than what plants can actually use, over 8000k or under 2000k, or in nano meters over 700nm or under 300nm

You must grow both male and female cannabis seeds together so they produce off spring. You use the seeds of the generation of plants before to grow new plants. Continue for several years... Seriously... Autoflowering strains would be the best, because they would reproduce several times within one year.

My HUNCH is that the plants will, some where along the line, realize that their environment has changed and that they must adapt to the new type of light available and produce primarily the accessory pigments, thus changing the appearance of the plants color.

Only one problem, if it is successful this strain of cannabis can never exist in nature, and can only grow in the type of light it has been adapted to.

A freak plant...

It could even produce new cannabinoids...

evolution takes so long that yes in fact we would all be dead

Back
Top Bottom