Found a case of 100 led-bulb @ $5 each, any good? Pic included..

Thanks guys. I knew that there are specific led "growing" bulbs. I also knew you could use cfls, but wasn't sure about this one because it looked to be a hybrid :) .

This is why I love :420:, because everyone is so helpful, especially when it comes to newbies (like me!).

And, antics, as far as my total budget goes, it's about $400. I wanted a hydro setup, probably a rdwc. My grow area is 3/5, with 7ft ceilings. I can always make my area smaller depending on size of the grow, my plan is 2 or 3 plants, or more depending on the cost of set up. I read your journal and may do cfls, but I'm thinking of led also. I'm considering led because I AM increasing my grow to a larger area once it becomes legal in my state. Sooooooooooo, basically now my lighting budget is about $200ish.
What do you recommend.? Invest in an led now or just use cfl to start with my first grow? If you had $400 what would you do?
I'm so excited to start growing!

i've tried any type of light from 400w-250w hps, cfl bulbs small ones, big ones, t8 tubes,t5 tubes. and now i'm on led. hps is still a good choice, but LEDs have some other attractive advantages.

If i was you, with that budget, i'd go for a "tested" led light, and don't be fooled by many of the brands that are out there, who claim there lights are the best.
But personally i'd say topled, very attractive price, lots of grows here on 420 that confirms there panels work.
Hope that helps you just a little. :) i am currently using the 96x3w reflector, but if i should spend that money again, i'd chip in with that extra 20$ for the mars2 model.

Hi there and welcome to :420:

Personally i would go with an led panel from the start... Because you plan to go that way anyway..

I did my first grow under cfl.... Looking to upgrade to LED next time.

As said, the 3000k spectrum will grow weed.. My old mate brassic brit, did some great work with blue cheese....

Solely under cfl tubes, in 3k spectrum..

The first grow is always a difficult choice....

My advice is to research heavily, on this site... Dont be afraid to ask questions
Either... We dont bite......

Decide which medium your gonna go with first...dwc etc.

Then go for lighting options..... Otherwise you will get lost in the grow info, get confused and get stuck.. Too much info can overwhelm..

If you go dwc, read grow journals with that in... See what choices they made, if its similar to your plans..

Thats what we all post journals for... Help others and learn from others, its karma in the best way.

Best of luck fellow grower

:Namaste:

This is where I am stuck, in choosing the correct light.. I have a space where I could easily put a 3x4 or 4x4 tent for flowering and another area for veg, its the 4x4 im worried about.. I don't want or cant afford to make a mistake when choosing the light.. So I want to ensure I can grow quality med for myself and my epilepsy, I have had no income for over 6 months, and I am at the point I need to get this going or I wont simply be able to keep purchasing my meds. So I need to pull the trigger asap.. What would you use "on a budget" to get maximum yield from say a 3x4 or 4x4? Should I do 2 of the 3x reflector panels or the one big one with 4 panels? and would that be enough?

These questions *must* begin with how much product you need. I know the reflector series from Top LED well and they are great lights and can help guide you there, but without knowing your needs we would all simply be guessing. It's one thing to advise stoners who, when they run out, simply make do. It's entirely different for medication.

We're here to help.

Thanks.

I end up going through roughly 1/2 an ounce every 7-10 days or so.. depending on Strain, the offset is my medication is up too 6000mg a day, so I try to cut that in 1/2 by using cannabis, and it does work wonders and has for years.. The problem I have with strains like Fack cancer is the CBD is good, but I need that and a more relaxing effect, so usually I use say Fack Cancer with SFV, and that seriously cuts my meds in half easily and almost eliminates seizures altogether, its a beautiful thing, I just wish more people understood the healing properties of this plant and its strains, its truly one of Gods miracles, and I know I would not be here today without it as I was going insane on 6000mg of anti seizure meds a day and was ready to shoot myself.

But while I am still with you all I will do all I can to try to educate people on the subject and how much it has helped me.

So after my rant on epilepsy I would love to produce at least that much to cover my costs and from having to call the collective for anything with the exception to get more clones :) So a 1/2 ounce a week is say 2oz a month? I cant do crap for math that's when my brain just starts to fart and I have seizures, facking TBI's...

Excellent info! I'll give you some more in return. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I have a year under my belt now, 30+ plants, 15+ strains, and I can count on at least 0.75 ounce per sqft of canopy. That's 6+ ounces per month from a perpetual grow - I have an equal amount of space for vegging. My plants spend about 60 days in veg and 60 days in flower, depending on strain, which are primarily sativas and sativa doms, so your med strains will finish a bit sooner I believe?

In any case, you have plenty of extra capacity. If you use something in the range of 600 watts (draw, not "rated") of LED for your 4x4, you'll have as much light as you need to grow seriously high quality plants. You'll also have the ability to grow other strains in parallel with the one you're counting on - expand your options.

:slide:

Thank You!!! That Helps me so much, now the next confusing question, should I order the lights in a specific spectrum? or should I stick to the standard spectrum, I noticed they have an option to order either dedicated to veg or flower, and I wondered what the end result would be between the two? I believe Sara said 2x 700 in flower spec, so 2x of the mars 2 700's would put me " I believe" in the correct ballpark, im just not sure if I need to order them in spectrum specific or not. as for the veg tent I was thinking the 3 panel I believe that is a 144x3 with an option to turn on flower mode if needed. and that would be in like a 2x4 for veg, and the 2x 700's in the 4x4.. Am in on par or close? just confused on the mars if I need them in specific spectrum or not.. and also "I know" do I need to add any UVB for the flower tent as most of these LED's seem to not have uvb and is it that important? sorry just thinking ahead, the mind of an epileptic ,I feel when it comes I need to spit it out before I forget.

Spectrum is pretty easy. Unless you're going to be using one light for two purposes, it's not very important, but can be nice. The switchable panels let you turn off reds in veg for instance, and you do save some money. For bloom, you want full spectrum, and TopLED's has been thoroughly tested on 420Mag.

I agree wholeheartedly with the 144x3 for that veg space - perfect! - and it's switchable. For bloom, your choice is plenty of wattage. But I' ruminated over my space for a long time before I got my current panel, and I was always trying to find a 4 panel setup for better overall coverage. With two in the middle like that, you get high intensity in the middle and low in the corners. It's a small thing, but as you go over options it's something to consider - also better redundancy and flexibility for the future.

Just keep that draw wattage in mind. You want 600+ for the 4x4. Are 2 Mars 700s more or less than 4 old-style 100x3s? If it's close, I'd go with the 100x3s for 800 watts draw power. :cheesygrinsmiley: That's a crazy cheap price.

[Edit] Gotta correct some numbers. I checked the specs and the 100x3s draw 170 watts each, and the Mars 700s draw 380 each.

Ok, figured up my list, working within my budget. First, need to sell the pinball machine, should happen in less than a week. I haven't pursued contact with Sara yet, because I don't want to waste her time talking about lights and then say, "I'll call you back". So, here is my plan with my $400 budget.
I've decided to go hempy style....
$200 lights (top led)
$15 for two growing buckets
$6 perlite (local store)
$25 canna Coco (local store)
$10 fan
$10 fan for exhaust
$10 duct exhaust
$15 pH meter (amazon)
$40 general hydroponics nutrients 3pack
$40 seeds ( nothing fancy or expensive yet)
$?? Misc stuff, hardware, timers, etc

Look good? Missing something?

Secondly, what about starting the seeds? After they "pop", how should iI go about putting into the final growing bucket (5 gallon)? I'm pretty sure I start very small, like a solo cup, right?

Ok, figured up my list, working within my budget. First, need to sell the pinball machine, should happen in less than a week. I haven't pursued contact with Sara yet, because I don't want to waste her time talking about lights and then say, "I'll call you back". So, here is my plan with my $400 budget.
$200 lights (top led)
$6 perlite (local store)
$10 fan
$10 fan for exhaust
$10 duct exhaust
$15 pH meter (amazon)

Secondly, what about starting the seeds? After they "pop", how should iI go about putting into the final growing bucket (5 gallon)? I'm pretty sure I start very small, like a solo cup, right?

Sorry, got sidetracked when Koncept jumped in. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Are you missing anything? - heheh, yeah probably. These budgets always get blown to kingdom come once you start. :laughtwo: But I don't see anything obvious.

You should start seeds in smallish containers like solo cups, yes. It's easier to grow roots in a container that dries out, otherwise you risk overwatering. Many of us use a 2 gallon size as well, before the final 5 gallons.

:thumb:

$200 lights (top led)
$6 perlite (local store)
$10 fan
$10 fan for exhaust
$10 duct exhaust
$15 pH meter (amazon)

I start mine in small 3" pots. But solo cups work great too. From there I go right to the final container once they have 4 fully developed leaves.

heheh sorry Gray :)

I know I still have allot to get, so far I have lights on order, and one 2x4ft Hydro Hut.. now im hunting for the perfect tent, that will fit my 2x Mars 700's I was thinking instead of a 4x4, as I have issues once I come off the walls with an angry ceiling fan, I was wondering if they made a 3x6 if that would work as well, but probably not, as im sure I would run outta space, im prolly best off with the 4x4.. decisions decisions.

Back
Top Bottom