Found my phototron in storage!

braundc420

Ok, Thank you for the warm welcome over in introduce yourself forums! bear with me here fellow green thumbs. I know the typical attitude toward phototrons, and went there myself several years (couple decades now...) back when the tron went into storage. It just wasnt doing the trick for me. ended up switching to HPS and MH like everyone else.
While digging around under my parents house last month, I saw my old friend peeking out from under a blanket in the corner and decided to dig her back out for old time sake. After daydreaming about all the old memories with her, I started to remember exactly why she went into retirement in the first place. Then I read Minus's journal here, and got the itch again (thank you minus!). I thoiught about how I could possibly improve her with some updated technology. I went ahead and purchased a quality 90watt LED UFO from my local grow shop, a pile of high CFM low noise computer fans, a muffin exhaust fan, and a digital thermometer with built in molex fan power supply.
I clipped a couple clones from mama sweet tooth and germinated a blue berry / purple urckle cross seed I hemee'd last year (hoping she is a she). I must say I am surprised as heck at the little girls response to the UFO in such a compact environment. They look like me stretching for my tube from the recliner the way they stretch for the light. I realize this is a vertical light machine, but notice how bushy and thick they are. I seem to recall skinny little toothpicks in this thing back in the day... Im blown away. I really dont have a clue what I am doing anymore, so any constructive criticizm is greatly appreciated.
here are some picks from 22 days ago when I put her back together...
then how they look today...

ooops' I guess I cant post attachments. great. I'll try and figure this out soon.

We've all been there regarding the photos. Check out how to do it HERE.

Oh, and :welcome: to THE GROW ROOM.

thanks for the link munki! :thanks:

ok, here they were 26 (<corrected) days ago... seedling in the front is gone now. sorry for the distorted colors, i'll take some with the LED's off tomorrow, and see if that helps.

DCFC00051.jpg

DCFC00041.jpg

DCFC0001.jpg

DCFC0003.jpg

now here they are today...

photos109301.jpg

photos109302.jpg

photos109303.jpg

photos109305.jpg

photos109308.jpg

photos109310.jpg

when should I go 12/12? :scratchinghead:

:thanks: for looking! :peace:

what fans are those? how much CFM they take in and out that pod ?

Hi WeedRyder, and thanks for asking.
I put three of these in the skinny side pannels at different heights...
B_01enlargeview_2.jpg

B_02enlargeview_2.jpg

Product Description
Fan Dimension 120 x 120 x 25 mm
Fan Speed 2000 RPM
Fan Speed Control N/A
LED Color N/A
Bearing Type Sleeve
Noise Level 21 dBA
Max. Air Flow 78 CFM

Max. Air Pressure 2.97 mm H2O
Power Connector Molex 4-pin
Rated Voltage
Started Voltage 6V
7V Max
Rated Current 0.38A
Static Pressure
Operation Temperature
Power Input 4.56W
MTBF 30000 Hours
Weight 156 g
Additional Information
Manufacturer Thermaltake
Manufacturer part number A2368
Product model 120mm Highest Performance
Manufacturer warranty 1 year(s) limited warranty

and to power them, and keep track of the temp all in one, I used this handy computer device here... IMHO, This thing is perfect for any grow chamber, with the computer fan power supply and dual thermometer reading all in one, and very inexpensive at under $40

a118.jpg

a214.jpg

a311.jpg

a46.jpg

the exhaust fans are 1) AC 120mm muffin fan (about 180cfm) in the back thin pannel up top, and another 172mm muffin (turned way way down) attached to the top, drawing air out of the handle hole. I'll be changing the exhaust system to add my carbon canister as soon as I find the time to work it all out. It's been hovering around the 90's and up outside here and the tron stays just below or above 80F. Not perfect, but seems to be working.

:thanks: for the comments!

I started to remember exactly why she went into retirement in the first place. Then I read Minus's journal here, and got the itch again (thank you minus!).

Haha!You bet man.Mine was an experiment for sure.I'll probably break her back out this winter. };-)

wow, those are lookin' nice!

Since plants can double or triple in size in bloom, and yours are almost halfway to the top of your tron, you might wanna flip them pretty soon, I would think.

regards,

SS

+rep
Agreed! I'd switch now myself.That led is wicked looking.Everything is looking great man,love the setup! +reps indeed. ;)

Nice to see the pics. With the UFO on, it looks like your plants are going on Mars!

Switching the lights depends on how you want to execute this grow. Sounds like you want to try a more traditional grow instead of PI's method. If so, then flowering soon would be advised especially if you could take a few cuttings to continue the lineage in a next grow. This grow could then be used to gauge the grow characteristics of the strain to your LED/Phototron environment and you could really dial in the timings to maximize the yield.

Nice job on using computer equipment in this. That AC to DC converter would be a godsend to microgrowers.

:goodjob: and +rep if I can.

BTW, what's up with all the bubbles between the reflective film and the plexiglass sides? Were the panels always like that or did the separations happen from the panels being bent or ferts getting on the film?

Can the UFO be lowered any more? I figure the heat coming off the illuminated side should be minimal so it could be dropped right near the tops then slowly raised with the grow. Did the manufacturer have a recommended minimum distance to canopy?

Looking back at the latest pics, it appears the plants are getting the majority of their light from the floro tubes when considering how they all appear to be bending towards their closest floro tube. A small one is even touching the bulb which will burn it. Consider pulling in the tops by cross tying the plants to one another. Just lightly lash two plants together that are opposite to one another so they pull back towards the center of the tron.

What a cool power supply!

thanks for posting that!

regards,

SS

+rep!

no problem!, it's only a 2 amp, but, IMHO, works great for what most micro's would need. Notice I went AC on the exhaust fans, mainly because they were already laying around. thanks you Sir, for the ++'s!

Haha!You bet man.Mine was an experiment for sure.I'll probably break her back out this winter. };-)

Thank you Minus, Since reading your excellent journal, i'm thinking about sneaking the wifes starbucks coffee grinder out to the chicken coop to see what I can mix up... before she gets up of course. :grinjoint: gotta get it put back on the counter before coffee time. Some nice big ancient piles out there. :goodjob: on the grow BTW, and :thanks: !!!

very good fans !
Noise Level 21 dBA
Max. Air Flow 78 CFM
are very good for 120m"m ! i'm going to install 120mm as well at my closet they are coolermaster fans and they do 70cfm in 19dba wich is also pretty good. i'm thinking of buying the Coolerguys Deluxe 2 its looking sweet and helpful !

Thank you WeedRyder, I tried to get something around those specs, but of course after I ordered them, I see plenty better, but these will do. I originally wanted some with green LED's installed, in the hopes that I could use the light to eyeball my goods in the dark during flowering, but I dont know enough about that, or if that would be OK to take the risk, so I went the safe route with no led's at all. I have silver filter/screens for the fans, just not all installed yet. Keep watching, if it works, your invited over for the powwow!

very nice....great combo!

Thank you Sir, means a great deal to me coming from you! :thanks:

Nice to see the pics. With the UFO on, it looks like your plants are going on Mars!

Switching the lights depends on how you want to execute this grow. Sounds like you want to try a more traditional grow instead of PI's method. If so, then flowering soon would be advised especially if you could take a few cuttings to continue the lineage in a next grow. This grow could then be used to gauge the grow characteristics of the strain to your LED/Phototron environment and you could really dial in the timings to maximize the yield.

Nice job on using computer equipment in this. That AC to DC converter would be a godsend to microgrowers.

:goodjob: and +rep if I can.

WOW, great ideas, Thank you!

BTW, what's up with all the bubbles between the reflective film and the plexiglass sides? Were the panels always like that or did the separations happen from the panels being bent or ferts getting on the film?

Can the UFO be lowered any more? I figure the heat coming off the illuminated side should be minimal so it could be dropped right near the tops then slowly raised with the grow. Did the manufacturer have a recommended minimum distance to canopy?

Looking back at the latest pics, it appears the plants are getting the majority of their light from the floro tubes when considering how they all appear to be bending towards their closest floro tube. A small one is even touching the bulb which will burn it. Consider pulling in the tops by cross tying the plants to one another. Just lightly lash two plants together that are opposite to one another so they pull back towards the center of the tron.

the panels came out of storage like that, they didnt go in like that, I am sure... it drives me crazy, and I am considering replacing or fixing them at some point.

The led's are pretty low, but I am sure ya'll could talk me into dropping them even lower if you think it would help.

good idea, do you think the bamboo in the picks will work at keeping them away? If not, i'll tie them like you said. I pulled some large sun leaves that were draping the bulbs, per piroponics recomendations. more tops on these than I can count right now.

anyway, thanks for all the responses, herers a few picks with the led's off as promised. day 29...
photo_s_1_09_319.jpg

photo_s_1_09_318.jpg

photo_s_1_09_314.jpg

BACK ON MARS!
photo_s_1_09_313.jpg

no problem!, it's only a 2 amp, but, IMHO, works great for what most micro's would need. Notice I went AC on the exhaust fans, mainly because they were already laying around. thanks you Sir, for the ++'s!

I'm using an AC exhaust fan (Soler & Palau TDX-100) for my grow tent, but I'm going to hang this for circulation and that power supply should work great. The temp display on that PS is really nice also for these tired old eyeballs:).

250mm Silent Case Fan at Xoxide!

ss

nice phototron. i like how you added the LED lights. I have a phgototron box and rebuilding it to something similar to what you did. Can you put a picture of the outside of the panels that you added the fans on. I am lookin to do the same idea. keep up the good work.

nice phototron. i like how you added the LED lights. I have a phgototron box and rebuilding it to something similar to what you did. Can you put a picture of the outside of the panels that you added the fans on. I am lookin to do the same idea. keep up the good work.

thank you dankboy! Actually i'll take a pile this weekend when I pull her out. I went ahead and purchased a jumbo office chair off craigslist for $10. The kind with 5 legs and casters, and am getting ready to remove the chair portion and attach the tron so I can rotate her easily. This should be great, so stay tuned!

Also found bearing smooth lazy susan spinners for like $7 shipped. These would be ideal for on top of a night stand, IMHO of course.

99de_12.JPG

:thanks: for looking!

Now all I need is a swivel power adapter so she can spin free without wind-up.

I know, I know, too many real gardens and wonderful journals to follow here to even think about looking at my old school tron, so thanks for navigating this way, and please take the time to tell me what you think. Thanks! :grinjoint:

ok, so it's been a month. I added some sticks to spread the erkles twin towers in the back. That seems to have exposed about a dozen more tops. I've also been trimming a few sun leaves from around the flouro's per piroponics instructions. These little ladies are chubby and thick for sure, and they seem to be responding to the LED's better than I expected. We'll see what happens during the flower test. BTW, the horizontal bamboo sticks represent the 25% mark in the tron, I was going to bring them just under the next light hangers (50% mark) before switching to 12/12. What do you all think? Thanks for looking, and any constructive critisizm you can throw my way. :peace:

DCFC0012.JPG

DCFC0011.JPG

DCFC0010.JPG

DCFC00091.JPG

DCFC00052.JPG

DCFC0006.JPG

please forgive the lighting, the LED's really make them look strange, so I took a few with the disc off just in case someone wanted to see.

Back
Top Bottom