Four Fine Fall Phillies

Hiya stoneotter,

Just got caught up with your journal. Very interesting read. Many things I liked about it, but didn't take notes. My memory isn't very good either, lol.

I did go through your struggle of growing in my cellar. Ran into a money pit, and with little spare room in the budget, I had to abandon the whole process. However, I have focused on one summer grow a year, and made great strides on outdoor growing. Still learning, and that's why I'm here.

I like the way a logic mind works. You have a great deal of common sense, like myself. Easy to pick up on a similar mind.

I'm loving your CBD Cream and Cookies. She's such a vigorous grower. Seedsman's description is just what I've been looking for next year's grow. Been wanting a cbd strain that's at least 1:1 cbd:thc and that chemovar has a high amount of both. How can one go wrong?

All your ladies look great. Growing like weeds!! I'll hang here for awhile if you don't mind. Am excited to see how your cbd lady finishes up!!

One suggestion - with as much trouble as you have going from 5 to 10 gal (or larger) pots, how about skipping the 5 gal and go from 1 gal to final pot? I've read through Doc's journals and that's what he recommends. He's the smartest cannabis grower I've run into. I trust his advice.

Don't know why I missed your journal, but I'm glad I found it now!! Cheers and Wisdom to you!

That's real testimony to your soil as well Van. You have it right. Build the foundation properly and the house flies up with little problems. Roots to flowers the same. I love supersoil. Last few grows(not this one) I've been using Michigan mix and loving it. One day I might mix some up myself. I'll have to make some vermicompost this summer.
People seem to be in such a rush with growing their plants and flowering them out. I really feel most growers neglect getting their roots to where they need to be in order to maximize their plants yield potential. I started forcing myself to give every plant an extra week for roots to really develop before up potting. The benefits of that were immediately visible.

People wonder why DWC seems to be such an aggressive grower.....well its cause they grow the hell out of their roots. The only way to get good yields in soil (aside from starting with good genetics) is to change the approach in veg. Stop focusing on the growth of vegetation (it will follow, I promise) and start focusing on roots. Fill that container with as many roots, from the top to the bottom.

But no one really likes to do that. It isn't sexy and rarely do people go "oh" and "ah" over root masses. It takes time to grow them right in soil.....took me about a year to really fully see the difference in plants based on how I grew the roots. Very slow and thorough watering that you let go through full wet/dry cycles are really key. I do a lot of bottom watering too, and letting the plant slowly wick up the water. Lots of little tricks to use to cater to the root system.

I can't stress enough to switch approach to focus on roots if you are growing in soil. I can promise you one thing.....take a look at a top notch yielding grow and insane roots are ALWAYS there. I have yet to see a high yielding plant with weak root systems.

People seem to be in such a rush with growing their plants and flowering them out. I really feel most growers neglect getting their roots to where they need to be in order to maximize their plants yield potential. I started forcing myself to give every plant an extra week for roots to really develop before up potting. The benefits of that were immediately visible.

People wonder why DWC seems to be such an aggressive grower.....well its cause they grow the hell out of their roots. The only way to get good yields in soil (aside from starting with good genetics) is to change the approach in veg. Stop focusing on the growth of vegetation (it will follow, I promise) and start focusing on roots. Fill that container with as many roots, from the top to the bottom.

But no one really likes to do that. It isn't sexy and rarely do people go "oh" and "ah" over root masses. It takes time to grow them right in soil.....took me about a year to really fully see the difference in plants based on how I grew the roots. Very slow and thorough watering that you let go through full wet/dry cycles are really key. I do a lot of bottom watering too, and letting the plant slowly wick up the water. Lots of little tricks to use to cater to the root system.

I can't stress enough to switch approach to focus on roots if you are growing in soil. I can promise you one thing.....take a look at a top notch yielding grow and insane roots are ALWAYS there. I have yet to see a high yielding plant with weak root systems.
Big roots ARE sexy baby! @Emilya and I are in your wheelhouse Van. I've been learning her method of watering and I wouldn't be surprised if you've been reading from her pages too. I didn't think a plant would be healthy for as long as your one in the mini solo. I can improve now seeing that. It's good to see where the line is drawn. I can make more roots before potting up next time for sure. One of the ways Emilya teaches growing roots is to not water until droop, then a thorough watering. Keep this up until I have to water every day. That's the day to pot up. Big roots, big fruits. It's not easy to be patient, but worth it. I'm getting there.

I've been working on a cloner bucket. @InTheShed has a great one he made and I'm using his as a template of sorts. Thanks Shed. I have some questions.
I have a 3 gallon bucket. How much space from the bottom of the cups to the nozzles?
These cups and foam keepers are light. Do they stay in place with the spraying going on in there?
I see I forgot the notch for the cord somewhere.

How much space from the bottom of the cups to the nozzles?
These cups and foam keepers are light. Do they stay in place with the spraying going on in there?
I see I forgot the notch for the cord somewhere.
I'd leave as much space as you can and still get coverage. I'm tight in the 2 gallon bucket and there is one spot that never roots and I think it's because it's too close to a head. But nothing moves up top when the pump kicks in.

I cut a notch in one of the holes for the baskets for the wire and it seems to work fine:
full

I also cut the bottoms off the baskets so the roots don't get tangled around them and break when you take then out for planting.

Nice job...looks great! :thumb:

Hiya stoneotter,

Just got caught up with your journal. Very interesting read. Many things I liked about it, but didn't take notes. My memory isn't very good either, lol.

I did go through your struggle of growing in my cellar. Ran into a money pit, and with little spare room in the budget, I had to abandon the whole process. However, I have focused on one summer grow a year, and made great strides on outdoor growing. Still learning, and that's why I'm here.

I like the way a logic mind works. You have a great deal of common sense, like myself. Easy to pick up on a similar mind.

I'm loving your CBD Cream and Cookies. She's such a vigorous grower. Seedsman's description is just what I've been looking for next year's grow. Been wanting a cbd strain that's at least 1:1 cbd:thc and that chemovar has a high amount of both. How can one go wrong?

All your ladies look great. Growing like weeds!! I'll hang here for awhile if you don't mind. Am excited to see how your cbd lady finishes up!!

One suggestion - with as much trouble as you have going from 5 to 10 gal (or larger) pots, how about skipping the 5 gal and go from 1 gal to final pot? I've read through Doc's journals and that's what he recommends. He's the smartest cannabis grower I've run into. I trust his advice.

Don't know why I missed your journal, but I'm glad I found it now!! Cheers and Wisdom to you!
Hey Bode, I'm glad to see you. I had a great time growing outside last year. Funny, whenever people here ask when they should harvest, you come to mind with the advice I so needed and could hardly hear. "Wait as long as you can". I rode the nerve bus a lot of those days. Rain days!

I'm glad the tent grow is coming in line finally. Fingers crossed. This is the place to learn. Just change soil and up is down and left is right. I'm glad I did, I'm learning too. Like you mentioned about the memory, same here.

I can't wait to sample the CBD Cream and Cheese. I had some Blue Dream CBD at half the power and I thought it was very special for pain for my wife and I. I'm hoping on this one.

I read about Doc's method a little. A lot of healthy plants get grown with it. I've been reading Emilya's watering ways too. They're pretty close when I think about it. Letting them dry completely when growing roots and up potting only when you have to water every day for Emilya. I don't know about Doc. Do you use his method?

Thanks for the compliments.

Do you know what you're growing this summer?

I'd leave as much space as you can and still get coverage. I'm tight in the 2 gallon bucket and there is one spot that never roots and I think it's because it's too close to a head. But nothing moves up top when the pump kicks in.

I cut a notch in one of the holes for the baskets for the wire and it seems to work fine:
full

I also cut the bottoms off the baskets so the roots don't get tangled around them and break when you take then out for planting.

Nice job...looks great! :thumb:
Ok so keeping it low. Cut the baskets. Notch the hole. Sweet! Bucket just came, now the trip to the depot tomorrow. Thanks WooHoo!

Hi folks, today is day 3 from water and from transplant. They look good to me today. Still growing strong and new growth is a good color. I'm having to think about when they get their next water. No signs yet. I'm looking for any droop in the big leaves. I want to notice it quick when it happens and mark the day. That will give me the day after they will get watered right? If they wilt on the 5th day I'll water on the 4th. Next water is with nutes.
I've been keeping a somewhat flat top with them so they will be ready for the scrog.
I'm starting to get excited. Each of them is showing me a little about themselves. They are very different from each other and they're going to be a handful in the scrog if I want to get the most out of them I know how. we'll see.
@InTheShed 's been tootlying me on building a cloner. I plan on getting my first weed clones from these 4 before flowering them. Again we'll see.
Here they be.
what are the two plants in the back? They look nice!

Hiya StoneOtter,

I just flagged Emilya's journals to start reading. I've read a lot about her through other journals. Her method sounds very much like Doc's watering method. Also have been understanding how much more important growing roots is during the veg stage.

Last year I grew 2 Quarter Pounders (strain name)(Auto) in a 5 gal soil bucket. Seeds dropped Aug 14th, harvested Oct 27th. Withstood wet snow, 28 degree nights, and kept on ticking! She spent 2 nights inside, but was more of a pain to move. So, I grew 2 full consecutive auto grows in one summer. So it is possible. Yield on QP's was just less than a zip each.

I'm getting interested in your CBD Cream and Cheese. I'll grow 3 of those next year, probably 3 Durban Poison (mold resistant strain), and Moose and Lobstah strain. I heard about it last year, and they'll be selling seeds locally in the spring (so they say now). It was bred to grow up here. Gotta see about that!

I try to use the correct watering method, but not very proficient yet. Need more practice to get it right! I've seen the roots Doc can grow! Impressive.

Good luck with your winter grow, and may your harvest be everything you expected.

Last night the strawberry cough got thirsty. This morning CBD Cream and cheese was too. So I gave the a nute feeding for the week to them. I'll be feeding them on the 4th and 5th day from water for a while. Until they tell me otherwise. The nutes were 50 % biothrive at 10 ml/gal and calmag at 100% at 10 ml/gal. The other 2 haven't shown wilt in the past. They are small hardy leafed creatures and I don't think waiting for them to show is a good idea. I got in trouble with underwatering a week or two ago and I might have let this lead me to it. Tomorrow on day 6 they both get fed wilt or not. This soil doesn't hold on to water that long I think,

I'm getting interested in your CBD Cream and Cheese. I'll grow 3 of those next year, probably 3 Durban Poison (mold resistant strain), and Moose and Lobstah strain. I heard about it last year, and they'll be selling seeds locally in the spring (so they say now). It was bred to grow up here. Gotta see about that!
That's a nice tentative lineup. I was hoping the cbd cream and cheese could be a choice for us here at 60-65 days. I think that was what the pineapple chunk went for and she grew well.
I saw Moose and Lobstah at the harvest cup last month but I have seeds and want to grow them out. Those boys looked intense selling them though. Good Maine boys.
I didn't know Durban Poison was resistant. Good to know. That's one of those ones I'm curious about someday.
Do you grow them tall or shorter? Covering them during rain and dewy nights could have been a help last year with rot I hear. Mine were too tall for me with slight upper body motion issues.

Alright got few carepackages done up.

Going to mail yours out today otter . Hope it makes you safely.

Thank again for all your help for me over the holidays appreciate your time and devotion to my journal as well. Thanks for keeping it going for me .

Back
Top Bottom