Fox Farm schedule

KevinDAdams

I’d like to use the Fox Farm nutes feeding schedule using soil. I’ll be growing outdoors but starting them in side in a Mars hydro grow tent and Marshydro LED light. I’ve been reading the schedule and some of the post about this schedule. Is the amount of nutes listed in the schedule too much? Will I burn my plants?

Hard to say. Some people have had problems using Fox Farm nutrients at the listed strength and some have not. It is hard to say why some have issues. You might have to do a bit of experimenting and always watching to see if something starts to go wrong.

Sometimes the fertilizing schedules and amounts have to be changed depending on the soil being used while seedlings and young plants. Then the amounts, etc have to change again when the plants go outside into the the containers they will be in for the summer.

Soil is such a misnomer, what kind of soil? Soil from the yard? Soil from a cheap potting mix that has fert pellets added to it? A well buffered soilless mix from a known source like HP Pro-Mix. A supersoil that has been properly amended and cooked.... does your soil have perlite for drainage and mulch for tilth? Point is soil has a crap ton of different meanings, one growers soil is another growers nightmare

FF was designed as a system to be used with FF soils. Yes they can work with other soils too. As far as the application of nutes it’s easier to start low learn to read the plant and move up but it’s not cool to be in a position where you need to undo a nute overload - yep do it wrong and you can burn them up.

If you are growing photos then multiple transplants can help by restricing the roots in smaller containers... autos can be transplanted but there is a chance you will stunt the plant in doing so, most here start autos in final container but you must pay attention and learn how to water a tiny plant in a large container. Both of these articles below are golden.....

Emilya How to water potted plant
Emilya How to water seedling in large container

It has been my experience that following the instructions exactly is the best way to run FF nutrients. People try to take shortcuts, such as not flushing when recommended, and they get in trouble with this strong line of nutes because not following the instructions is what gets most people into trouble.

The FF feeding chart slowly ramps up the nutes, from the seedling stage on up to harvest, and you should not fear using the recommended dosage. It was mentioned that the nutes were designed to be used with their soils, which are some of the strongest soils on the market, such as Fox Farm's Ocean Forest, so if they can work well in that soil without harming your plants, they should be fine in just about any soil. The feeding chart is actually designed to be used indoors and is modeled on the plant needs under a 1000w HID light. If you are using the nutrients outdoors, you probably should up the dosages a bit, and if you check on the sides of the bottles you will see that dosage recommendation.

Lastly, far too many people have been led to believe that a little bit of tip burn is a bad thing... it is not. It is the indication that the plant gives that it has gotten all the nutes that it needs, but it doesn't indicate an overage or a burn. When you have used too many nutes, other things happen, such as an unhealthy deep dark green in the leaves, or lockouts, and indications such as clawing on the leaves. The adage is, if you aren't at least burning the tips, you aren't trying hard enough. If you intend on using a line of nutrients, get out of the mindset that you are "feeding" the plants... any good soil can do that... you bought those nutes so you could FERTILIZE your plants, and make them more than they would have been simply surviving in some good soil. If you aren't pushing your plants right up to the limit with your chosen fertilizer line, then you really have missed the point. Make your garden as good as it can be. Garden like a boss!

Soil is such a misnomer, what kind of soil? Soil from the yard? Soil from a cheap potting mix that has fert pellets added to it? A well buffered soilless mix from a known source like HP Pro-Mix. A supersoil that has been properly amended and cooked.... does your soil have perlite for drainage and mulch for tilth? Point is soil has a crap ton of different meanings, one growers soil is another growers nightmare

FF was designed as a system to be used with FF soils. Yes they can work with other soils too. As far as the application of nutes it’s easier to start low learn to read the plant and move up but it’s not cool to be in a position where you need to undo a nute overload - yep do it wrong and you can burn them up.

If you are growing photos then multiple transplants can help by restricing the roots in smaller containers... autos can be transplanted but there is a chance you will stunt the plant in doing so, most here start autos in final container but you must pay attention and learn how to water a tiny plant in a large container. Both of these articles below are golden.....

Emilya How to water potted plant
Emilya How to water seedling in large containe I will be using FF soil. I'll follow the schedule and see what happens.

It has been my experience that following the instructions exactly is the best way to run FF nutrients. People try to take shortcuts, such as not flushing when recommended, and they get in trouble with this strong line of nutes because not following the instructions is what gets most people into trouble.

The FF feeding chart slowly ramps up the nutes, from the seedling stage on up to harvest, and you should not fear using the recommended dosage. It was mentioned that the nutes were designed to be used with their soils, which are some of the strongest soils on the market, such as Fox Farm's Ocean Forest, so if they can work well in that soil without harming your plants, they should be fine in just about any soil. The feeding chart is actually designed to be used indoors and is modeled on the plant needs under a 1000w HID light. If you are using the nutrients outdoors, you probably should up the dosages a bit, and if you check on the sides of the bottles you will see that dosage recommendation.

Lastly, far too many people have been led to believe that a little bit of tip burn is a bad thing... it is not. It is the indication that the plant gives that it has gotten all the nutes that it needs, but it doesn't indicate an overage or a burn. When you have used too many nutes, other things happen, such as an unhealthy deep dark green in the leaves, or lockouts, and indications such as clawing on the leaves. The adage is, if you aren't at least burning the tips, you aren't trying hard enough. If you intend on using a line of nutrients, get out of the mindset that you are "feeding" the plants... any good soil can do that... you bought those nutes so you could FERTILIZE your plants, and make them more than they would have been simply surviving in some good soil. If you aren't pushing your plants right up to the limit with your chosen fertilizer line, then you really have missed the point. Make your garden as good as it can be. Garden like a boss!
I'll be using FF soil as well. Thanks for the help Emilya!!

Are you using the liquid trio (Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom) and the dry trio together (Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz, and Cha Ching)? If so, follow the schedule as it says including flushing. I also use all of these nutes together with FF soil. I mix Ocean Forest and Happy Frog together 50/50 and add perlite. Works like a champ for me. I’ve tried various feeding lines/methods and with all the issues I had with those I came back to FF nute line. It’s what works for me and I hope it works for you as well. Couple tips: Water to runoff so you push out some of the salt left behind and get some Cal/mag just in case. Start a journal if you haven’t already and we can follow along with you. Good luck.

Are you using the liquid trio (Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom) and the dry trio together (Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz, and Cha Ching)? If so, follow the schedule as it says including flushing. I also use all of these nutes together with FF soil. I mix Ocean Forest and Happy Frog together 50/50 and add perlite. Works like a champ for me. I’ve tried various feeding lines/methods and with all the issues I had with those I came back to FF nute line. It’s what works for me and I hope it works for you as well. Couple tips: Water to runoff so you push out some of the salt left behind and get some Cal/mag just in case. Start a journal if you haven’t already and we can follow along with you. Good luck.
Oh man thanks for all the info, the only nutes I don’t have yet is the Cha ching and open Sesame. I’ll make a trip to the nutes store. Lol

Do you have a cal-mag product on your shelf?? Might be smart to grab one
I do have Cal Meg, buts low from using last season.

I have been using foxfarm trio for 8 grows now and I feel 100% the same way...its definitely made for foxfarm soil

Back
Top Bottom