Fox Farms Ocean Forest may be killing my plants

SteveI

I posted a thread on here a few days ago about a "nute" problem I thought I was having. I thought it was because I was putting too much nute in my FFOF soil even though I waited 30 days before adding any. I have since flushed a couple times but it still has not improved the situation. I also started a new seedling, which I have never added any nute to. Within 5 days of life, it is now exhibiting the same problem. Is it possible I got a dud bag of FFOF???

Adult plant problem:
pic230.JPG

Now the new seedling without ever having had nutes, just distilled H2O and one shot of distilled H2O with some cal/mag in it (1tsp per gal concentration).

seedling_.JPG

Is the seedling in FFO? It looks like nute burn from soil. Some stains do not like how strong FFO is. I mix my FFO with Fox warrior 50/50 to get the nute level down for seedlings.

Is the seedling in FFO? It looks like nute burn from soil. Some stains do not like how strong FFO is. I mix my FFO with Fox warrior 50/50 to get the nute level down for seedlings.

I had 4 grows where this did not happen. This is a new seed purchase (both Nirvanna Feminized White Widow) and also a new bag of FFOC. I have successfully grown a different seed order of Nirvanna WW fem seed in a different bag of FFOC and did not have the problem. So I guess I am stuck with either a sensitive seed batch or perhaps this particular bag is hot. I'll get the best I can from the local nursery and see if that clears the problem. Could cal-mag @ 1tsp/gal of distilled burn a seedling?

Yes a seedling should not need cal-mag.

Then maybe I did this.

Is distilled water ok? The way some of the threads here read it is a near cardinal sin to ever give your plant distilled, which I have been doing for the longest time, just changed because of what I was reading. If I give tap, is that the same/similar as distilled + cal/mag?

Appreciate the help!

I use tap water that has been sitting out for at least 24 hours to let off the chlorine.

It's worked for me. I say go for it. ;)

You most likely won't need cal/mag with tap.

Thanks for the reply!

My tap is anywhere from 200-400ppm. So if put in cal mag into distilled at that PPM or less, I am just curious how that would be worse than tap. At least with cal/mag I know what is in there but with tap I don't. Of course cal/mag + distilled at same PPO of tap probably has a higher concentration of cal/mag. So maybe I just answered my own question about why I shouldn't do the cal/mag.

Stevel I use FF soil and nuets also your pics look identical to mine. I flushed no difference,then I got my ph pen,I have 4 pot and they were coming up between 5-5.4,I mix lime in the top off the soil (tea spoon,1 gallon pots) two weeks have gone by there in the low 6s colors coming back and there taken off again, I don't know why my ph dropped off like that but it did,I'm now using 2/3 creek water 1/3 tap water,the tape water is to warm it up some cuz the creek water is 32-33 deg F, just my 2 cents good luck.

Yeah, it looks like PH problem. Especially seedlings are sensible to it.

I sent a sample of Coast of Maine Lobster Compost to a lab for testing and the phosphorus was 4440 (174 recommended) and potassium was 3109 (176 recommended). You need to add calcium, not dolomite as it has to much Magnesium, but a +90% Ca. Add a couple oz per plant worked into the top 2 inches. A tea would be nice for the microbes.

I use Happy Frog for clones. Same company. It holds more moisture.

I use a cube and technaflora directions. I wet the soil BEFORE I insert the moist cube into a cup of pre wet soil.

You can burn seedlings, and cutting with nutes, even nutes running off from the soil in the cup.

I would get bottled water for clones or seedlings to be 'extra sure'. Once the thing becomes a plant - its pretty hardy.

DN

The top picture - looks like the sun leaves are normally aging - I check the newer emerging leaves to judge plant health.

DN

I currently have two Nirvana WW in a 50/50 FFOF/light warrior mix. I was told and read that the FFOF runs hot due to its composition which is why I cut it with Light Warrior. Last run I grew Nirvana AK-48 in the 50/50 mix and only had a problem when I tried to fertilize them, apparently way too early. I have read that you won't need nutrients for 30 days with this soil but I call bullshit on that because I have tested this theory on two different grows now and as soon as I add nutes I start to have problems. I waited until over 30 days and I decided to start off slow with an organic fish emulsion (5-0-0). That seemed to be ok, despite the horribly rotten crotch smell coming from my grow space. The second time I fertilized I only added some Ca/mg, at about a quarter of the recommended dose and that seemed ok too. Then I added some Grow Big extremely diluted as well and two days later I had yellowing leaf tips on the middle leaves. I stopped that and just gave them water for the next few waterings. I then decided to try feeding again with liquid kelp fertilizer. I used a half strength mix and a few days later my leaves were so deep green they were almost black and the tips started to curl down aka clawing and the very tips looked not yellow but white. After much hair pulling and reading as much as I could find, I believe I diagnosed a NITROGEN TOXICITY. Also, I believe they started using pine bark in this soil and that messes with the ph and for finicky plants that probably not a good thing. I keep reading that White Widow is not a picky plant but I'm beginning to disagree. I don't think it's as complicated as other strains but for beginner growers like myself it has been a bit challenging trying to fine tune what this bitch wants. I just think the FFOF is loaded with nutrients and so I'm going to just wait to make sure my ladies have sucked all the nutes out before I add more. As I become better at this I think starting with a "blank" soil and add my own stuff so I know how much and what I'm working with.

I would suggest you read these two threads. You need your soil tested to know what to add. I had three different soils tested and the only one that barely passed was ProMix. Doc Bud also sells a kit that is very easy to grow very healthy plants.

Doc Bud: High Brix Q&A With Pictures and In the Lab With Doc Bud

I posted a thread on here a few days ago about a "nute" problem I thought I was having. I thought it was because I was putting too much nute in my FFOF soil even though I waited 30 days before adding any. I have since flushed a couple times but it still has not improved the situation. I also started a new seedling, which I have never added any nute to. Within 5 days of life, it is now exhibiting the same problem. Is it possible I got a dud bag of FFOF???

Adult plant problem:
pic230.JPG

Now the new seedling without ever having had nutes, just distilled H2O and one shot of distilled H2O with some cal/mag in it (1tsp per gal concentration).

seedling_.JPG
Ph your water

Back
Top Bottom