FoxFarm Soil and Bugs

kanabot

Hello all. I'm half way through my first grow using foxfarm ocean forest soil. For the most part, I like it. However, it seems to be a little "buggier" than other soils I've used. I'd like to try it again, and I don't want to bake it because it's pretty good with the beneficial bacterias and microbes. Not to mention proper amounts of N and easy pH control. I was wondering if it would be kosher to mix it with diatomaceous earth, neem powder, crumbled Bti, and a little extra perilite for aeration.
Would this be a good idea, bad idea, or a waste of time?

Don't over water, you will get bugs, they are called fungus gnats and occur naturally in soil if the top 2"'s or so are to wet on a consistent basis. I always go around after I water and smooth the dirt out after I rough it up about 2" deep in the pot, get some air in the top dirt and helps it dry out a little faster while keeping the dirt below it moist. Keep em green :rollit:

Hello all. I'm half way through my first grow using foxfarm ocean forest soil. For the most part, I like it. However, it seems to be a little "buggier" than other soils I've used. I'd like to try it again, and I don't want to bake it because it's pretty good with the beneficial bacterias and microbes. Not to mention proper amounts of N and easy pH control. I was wondering if it would be kosher to mix it with diatomaceous earth, neem powder, crumbled Bti, and a little extra perilite for aeration.
Would this be a good idea, bad idea, or a waste of time?

Thanks man. Fungus gnats were the problem. When I planted the seeds in seedling soil I soaked the 1/2 pint containers well enough so as to not have to water until transplant. I usually water seedlings and clones by weight of the container. I'm sure that's when the eggs were laid. Not gonna do that anymore. Also, I have a window unit AC vented out of an interior wall with a bucket underneath it to catch water; perfect fungus gnat environment. So I threw a mosquito dunk into the bucket. After covering the top of the soil with crumbled Bti, watering with Bti, and throwing the mosquito dunk in to the bucket (which I now dump regularly) I'm pretty sure I've eradicated them. They're beautiful plants, but their growth was stunted. I hope I can make up for it with more veg time. I won't give up on foxfarm. I'll just be more careful next time and maybe sprout in rock wool. Thanks again.

:welcome: to :420:

I got 6 out of 6 from seed to seedling to vegging using Rapid Rooters while my soil methods were much less successful, 5 out of 8 for my first grow and 2 out of 6 for my second grow.

DSCN23742.JPG

Hmm. That gives me some things to take in to consideration next planting. I've only used seedling soil for germination in ten years of growing. So far I've had 100% success with seeds, and it's been real "hit or miss" with clones. Got some thinking to do...

Back
Top Bottom