Foxtailing Facepalm

Pbass

So I'm literally watching my NY Diesel foxtailing hard core right in front of my eyes and not catching on to the fact my new QB is totally frying her little pot brains. She lives right in the center of my scrog. I raised the light and backed off on the intensity a bit, anything else I can do here? If caught early will they revert back to good bud development?

IMG_20190824_182127432_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190824_182122400_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190824_182116934_HDR.jpg

LightRail.

Or

Try to rig up some kind of device that does the same thing that those clip-on grid things do for HID bulbs, to block a percentage of the output by reflecting it back upwards, where it (eventually) gets reflected onto other parts of the garden.

Or

Add some sort of light diffuser, something like what a professional photographer would use to soften a hard light without significantly reducing its total output.

Or

Disassemble your light and put it back together in such a way that you end up with a decent spread of light instead of a big "hot spot"directly under the center. Maybe remove every other (or third) diode from the center 15% to 20% and stick them around the perimeter where you can presumably use more. This might take some work, lol, but (if done correctly) you'd likely end up with the design that the manufacturer should have created and the seller should have sold in the first place.

Or

Remove the hybrid from the center of your garden and replace it with an equatorial landrace sativa :p.

Or

Put a "hat" on that plant for the last three hours of lights-on, each and every day until harvest time.

Foxtail facepalm update:

I raised the light and turned it down to about 85% on the dimmer dial...the rest of that sounded like actual work @TorturedSoul !

This seemed to have helped, the vertical has seemed to peter out, and the foxtails are densing up a bit.

No problems with the other strain living on both sides though, even the kolas that are as in the "hot zone". Hmmm...

IMG_20190830_104009242_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190830_104002839_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190830_103955554_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190830_103921608.jpg

Some people might try running their lighting at 100%, but for somewhat less than the traditional 12 hours per 24. I'm thinking specifically of equatorial landrace sativas that evolved in a region where the day/night cycle is a constant 12 hours each throughout the year and that have a rather lengthy flowering period, but I suppose it's an option if you're looking for something to try.

Other people might continue blasting their pants with as much light as they can and think, "Awesome, spiral-shaped buds," ;).

I couldn't say which would be best, which way would produce the greatest yours, etc.

Looks like you got it under control. No harm done really... Those extra bud formations will harden up quickly due to being right up top in direct light. I had some fox tailing last grow but it just made my colas thick at the top instead of pointed like usual. The additional formations hardened up and I believe it contributed to a higher yield overall. I would never intentionally promote fox tailing due to the simple fact that it doesn't always go according to plan and stressing our plants during flower is never a great thing to do. Some strains are very prone to this though and it's not really a light stress thing but actually genetics. If I had to choose an issue to have with my grow I would choose fox tailing over most others lol.

This thing is probably only really significant if you're a dealer and your customers buy based on... visual perception. And if that's the case, tell them it's all going to look the same when it comes out of the grinder :rofl:.

Back
Top Bottom