Free Power , Off the Grid

Unfortunately while prices for solar and wind turbine installation and parts are dropping, they still aren't cost efficient for us growers. Home owners spend years using these systems before these things pay for themselves and that's even after grants at times.lol I've been researching them as well. The last power outage in the area saw some homes and areas without power for almost a full week. I have generators for my house and grow but not all are that lucky and the price of gas can be expensive providing you can find a near by station with power to pump the gas.lol Once the panels reach $.50 a watt I might reconsider but right now they are at about$1.00 to $1.25 a watt and that's too much for my wallet.lol Great info DaMagoMan.

I keep up with news regarding new energy sources(solar, wind, hydroelectric, nuclear, etc.) and have recently read news that the cost of solar will finally catch up to the same price as standard electricity by 2010-2011.. at least we're getting closer

Hey Mago, I'm always hesitant to resurrect an old thread, but being new here and everything ...

I work in the industry. Anybody has an energy question I'd be happy to try to answer, although I'm far from a know-it-all. The sense I have, though, is that alt energy should definitely come down in price. As more people become aware and start to demand it, more companies get involved so competition increases (as does innovation), policies change, and end users like you and me start to benefit. Wind is finally starting to catch on here like it has in Europe. I think solar, though, might show the more promise long-term.

Who knows, maybe some day hemp oil will be lighting our houses?

Hook Me Up !!!

I want to setup and run greenhouses on no-grid system
store or sell any extra power.
Solar and wind.

And Customer Service is Key in any business :cheesygrinsmiley:

Know where I can buy a seed press?
I'm willin'!
only security keeps from bein' able :cheesygrinsmiley:

theres some people who have solar power over here.....and it got me thinking about that too. *giggles* I wonder if they grow......

I saw a solar plant that really impressed me. Seems it could be used for homes if we ever start to build homes with some land again.

It used the sun to boil water in tubes using magnifying reflectors. Doesn't sound real innovative, but trust me, it is. I think these could be built small scale in kit form. That would be great ;-)

mornin magolove deary. LOL

I would like to switch to solar someday anyways.

I am not on a break anymore love. HEHE picked up the other day.

feels good to be back.

I've been on a break for too long. Moved from Connecticut, finished off what I brought with me, and haven't found any since. I feel like this guy: :thedoubletake:

Seed press ... that's what I call recycling!

Now that's an idea! Seems kind of novel and there's probably a flaw with it but why can't a person set up a series of thin water pipes set in the sun with a series of cheap lenses focused all up and down on the pipe to heat it to the point of steaming. Then just use the steam to power a generator.

Seems like it would work in theory anyway.

solar energy to grow? i think you can cut out the middleman pretty easy on this one and toss some beans outside. gotta admit, would be something!

Now that's an idea! Seems kind of novel and there's probably a flaw with it but why can't a person set up a series of thin water pipes set in the sun with a series of cheap lenses focused all up and down on the pipe to heat it to the point of steaming. Then just use the steam to power a generator.

Seems like it would work in theory anyway.
You would never reach the heat required to produce enough steam pressure. steam generation requires a huge amount of pressure to turn the generator.

This thread has driffted a little of topic, never the less. check out this website, it is based on technology Nikola Tesla was developing before he died.
:smokin:

I agree with Rattlehead907, the topic is about 'Free energy off the grid' and while that may include solar power, this thread is here to explore ALL the options. Check out the link in Rattlehead's post....there is some interesting material there. Solar energy may be feasable in the future, but at present it is just too costly and too inefficent with energy production to be a practical solution. What is interesting is that this topic doesn't necessarily only apply to growing... This is a current issue in our society that is affecting everyone as a whole. Over the past ten years, it has become increasingly clear that our carbon-producing energy is bad for the planet, but i think it is reassuring to see that there are free-thinkers out there coming up with solutions for that very problem. And everyone knows that there is no one more motivated than a stoner looking to improve his/her growing/smoking experience. I think the growers will be the first ones to apply a practical, workable solution to the energy problem. Props guys.:peace:

Back
Top Bottom