freeze cure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutty Panty

So I was bored threw about 2oz in a large mason jar into my freezer. I burped the lid every few hours. I noticed that it seemed to dry the herb out more than the hang already did. I've stored freezer locked cured buds in freezer but never done this.
It seems to speed the cure up. I also changed the jar everyday cause while burping at room temperature condensation would form on exterior and was worried I might encourage mold. I didn't take pics of the process but I will with the next strain.

I got backed up last time I was trimming and read somewhere you could freeze it and later thaw it out and finish
So it was only about a half a z so gave it a try
Was in freezer for about 10 hours
Pulled then finished trimming
Hung till stem snap
Then in the jar
Cured a little darker in color and a lil bit diff taste not bad just diff from what I didn't freeze
Maybe even more flavorful
I may try your freeze cure on some next go round
:peace:

Ok so I took in approximately 1/2lb freeze cured to a dispensary today and they asked if I went more than my usual month cure 2 week hang. I just said nope just dialed drying room in more lol. I'm gonna try a full lb tomorrow I got a few extra freezers. I'll also take more correctly rotated pics and potentialy start a journal just for a cure if results keep going good.

DSC_10546.JPG
DSC_10526.JPG

Sounds interesting.

I would assume the bud has been slow air dried for the normal duration period first.

Other wise if the bud contains to much water when frozen the water molecules will expand & when bud is defrosted it will more less be damaged leaf/plant material tissue wise !

Under standard curing methods most off us would of experienced aged bud/cured for 2 to 3 months is most of the time better taste/flavor/smoke/effect etc than fresh bud with a short curing period !

Mainly due to trichomes ripening over time along with other stuff involved in aging/cure of bud under normal circumstance.

By no means am i trying to knock your suggestion/idea, but is more of method of debating the idea myself from what i understand of such & find it rather intriguing...

Now what cross's my mind if freezing bud, is that the curing process really still going on ?

I'm not even sure if trichomes develop or even the terpenes profile changes over time at sub zero temp ?

Terpenes profile may change a little to freezing etc ?

I'm a 3 month cure man myself that is pretty optimal for my own taste's under standard methods, but if i can freeze bud & preserve it at near perfect conditions then i am very interested :love:

• How ever their is a question of degeneration over time !
  • Long term stored bud under normal methods can deteriorate past several months !
  • Shelf life of frozen bud long term before deteriorate occurs ?

It does appear that i am very unlucky as i don't have a lab to test THC or other stuff as i don't live in MJ friendly part of the world !

But if i had a chance i would have it tested between traditional curing and frozen curing to total length of time before noticeable deterioration happens...

Just my 2 cents :peace:

They will get tested at 2.5 months again

I cure my meds for 2 months then freezer lock it and freeze anyways.

I hang plants 10-14 days
Then trim and jar.

Yeah I wouldn't try it on freshly hung plants

Only thing I've noticed messing with terpenes is those cure vault containers. I'm not a fan.

Ed Rosenthal mentions this technique in one of his books, the buds are hang dried the usual time, but instead of jarring it he puts it in a freezer the final bit of moisture freezes and sublimates, the buds retain the most volatile essential oils / Terpenes, Some terpenes turn to vapours at room temps.

Everyone seems to say it is top quality buds, the Dutch do it in Holland in the freezers they use to store flower bulbs.

I have never read Ed's Bible, I have been reading the Jorge Version of the bible for many years, should really buckle down and read Ed's too.

I have a few books as well, the go to books when I just want to remind myself something are the bibles. nice collection there. ;)

Harvesting a tray of worm castings today, I am so thankful :)

You can start a worm farm and Vermi compost some of the fan leaves. I use kitchen scraps plant matter and paper shreddings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom