Freezer build off?

about how much co2 would be needed for 50cf of flower and 25cf off vegg space,im sure it depends on amount of plants, but best quess

Ok, time to order lights!
Velodrone suggest 1,000 watt hps for flower, sound good?
Velodrone and Bassplayer suggest cfl or ho t5s,- both sound good to me but leaning to the t5s>

1- what are the advantages and disadvantages between cfls and t5s
2-do you use regular bulbs for cfls and t5s, or are they special?
3- what do u think is best for hps-cool tube or something like sun systems?

Alright brother.

There are a few things that need to be thought about. Are you going to have separate systems for the lights, filter, and your intake and exhaust?

I think that you will want your air that is cooling the lights to be pulled from the outside of the cab and dumped outside of the cab. This is all based off of the fact that you are looking to run co2. There are ways to set things up so that you don't have to setup a separate system, but then you start incurring the cost of controllers, ppm monitors(which you need anyway running co2) and timers to make it all work w/out any waste. All of that is dependent upon your budget. If that is a factor?

I have one other concern, you say that you have a mixing chamber that will contain your heater, AC, unit(s). I think that by the time that it gets to the flower cab it might be running a little warm. Now, that is fine up to 80-85 MAX with co2. How many BTU do you plan on having for this? Heating and Cooling. You have a very big plus here. The fact that this is a freezer and cooler(right?). It was designed to be at a certain temperature, and maintain that temperature. So it is well insulated.

I would go w/ a 1000w cooltube in a straight-through configuration. You could even run a 400w MH for veg if it was an outside to outside system for the lights. If you go big enough, say 6" or even better yet 8" for the lights, you could "Y" the hood and hook up your filter. Might be a little tight in there though. I most definitely recommend T5 lights, or a VERY BIG cfl if the MH is out of the question.

Tell me what YOU want to see happen here?

thanks for your help velodrone,

yes these units a Very well insulated!(to bad they don't work)

I think sealed, with co2 is out for my first build, for budget and experience reasons.

But think this idea threw:

instead of going mixing box vegg, go mixing box flower then vegg. :slide:

1,000 hps puts out a lot of heat so yes it would be vented from out side to out side 6 or 8 inch on fan with thermostat. why thermostat ? may need heat in winter, why waste it if needed.
So flower box with 1,000 watt hps is going to be hottest box right. t5s in vegg box, not so hot.
Ok here is where it may get hard to flow my thinking.

imagine a scrubber in vegg box hooked to a vortex fan at top of box sucking air out of vegg box to attic, witch will pull air from flower box via 6"duct witch pulls air from mixing box that has heater or water cooler as needed(on thermostats) in turn air box has small fan pushing garage air into it creating small positive pressure, while other boxes have neg pressure.

To sum it up, cold air (or warm) if needed enters flower box first sense it will be the hottest, then into vegg box.
And in winter i could use heat from hps to heat flower and vegg if needed by putting light fan on thermostat.

does any of that make sense?

I will try to post pic of what i mean.

thanks again valadrone, please keep giving me the feed back:thumb:

well here is vent plan idea, did the best i can with windows paint.lol. the white is 6 flex tube. the one on bottom will run in back of cabinets. all compartments will have small fan in them for mixing air and blowing wind threw the girls hair.:cool:
vent_plan.JPG

there are no lights in above pic. as i have not bought them yet.

yes serperate systems for light and environment, separate thermostat for lights and environment

as you suggested for flower box ill get 1,000 hps vented from out side to out side 6 or 8 inch on fan with thermostat. that leaves picking ho t5s for vegg. are the t5s special bulbs for growing, because local elect shop sells 2 ft 2 bulb t5 fixtures, just don't know if they are the same kind people use for growing.

would 2 fixtures with 2 bulbs each be good for the vegg box?(there is enough room for them)

there are no lights in above pic. as i have not bought them yet.

I understand that. I was just asking if you had thought about them in relation to your filter and fan up top.

yes serperate systems for light and environment, separate thermostat for lights and environment

That is good I think. If you are going to have separate systems, why not get a little 250w MH for veg. WAY more lumen's. Running a air cooled setup like you plan on doing in a straight through configuration will keep the heat close to an open T5 fixture.

are the t5s special bulbs for growing

There are spectral enhanced bulbs for growing if you want to fork out the cash. Those bulbs would be fine as long as the temperature(kelvin) is right.

velodrone thanks for sticking with me on this thing. after cutting a few holes in thees things(man what a mf) i stared to rethink this whole thing! the more i learned about using co2 the more i liked your idea. so here me out and tell me what u think.

i basically have 2 big boxes with one divided in half witch now gives me 3.
connect all 3 boxes together via 6" insulated duct kind of like last pic. but NO inlet or outlet from outside. use small duct fans to circulate air around all three chambers so i can keep constant temp. far left box can be used like a mechanical room for small heater if needed, ac in summer, and co2 tank.
use small mh, for veg and 1,000 mh flower with threw and threw fans on thermostats (may need some of that heat in winter) for both.

sound like better idea?

Wow, those things look like they'll make great growing cabinets. +REPs!

Have you considered water-cooled lighting? I have no experience with them, but I've heard (mostly) good things. And you would only need a couple of small holes for the ¾" hoses. Of course, you'd need a water tank of some sort (50-100 gallons?) and depending on both the size, ambient temperatures, et cetera, probably some kind of store-bought chiller (or something made from an a/c unit).

Pluses would be: A cool light, smaller cut-outs for the cooling apparatus, quiet at the light, and if you are only planning on having one fan setup for the box, you wouldn't be moving HOT air through your carbon filter (so it would last longer) and you wouldn't be moving such a large amount through it (ditto).

Minuses: More involved initial setup, you'd want to install a temperature/flow/water sensor (so that if, in the unlikely event of a catastrophic failure, your light would shut off), you'd want to make sure not to turn on the light and wait until it gets really hot before turning on the water pump.

I've read that there is a small degree of "frequency shift" in the light's color spectrum and also a small degree of attenuation due to the illumination passing through the water, but that it IS small because the thickness of the water - and the interior/exterior housing - is small.

Just a thought. As I mentioned, I have no personal experience with w/c lights.

hey tortured soul, thks for the comments. this thing has evolved and changed from my initial plans. but as of now these things are so ridiculously insulated(4"on bottom 2.5" on sides) that in winter i plan to close them up tight and run co2, using light for heat (maybe small heater if needed when hps is out) and open them up using water exchanger in summer. temps here in winter average 10 to 40 deg. I have researched the hell out of this site and others, and have seen nothing like what i plan in my kind of climate. so all i can do is try dry running it to get climate just right.
i have already cut holes for threw and threw hps cool tube in flower cabinet. i have decided to use ho t5s in veg to cut heat out. i have done preliminary test (with 500 watt halogen) and 1,000 watt hps is more than enough to heat this thing in winter all closed up. and ho t5s instead of mh for vegg will mean less cooling in summer.
i am gearing up for deer season now. but when i get back ill be full throttle on this thing!

stat tuned:thumb:

i have done preliminary test (with 500 watt halogen) and 1,000 watt hps is more than enough to heat this thing in winter all closed up.

Watt for watt, a HPS bulb produces way more light than a halogen one does. Therefore, logically, I'd expect that the halogen would produce more heat. I wonder if your 500-watt halogen bulb produces more heat than even a 1000-watt HPS one?

I was just thinking that if you could rig up the light fan (and possibly, a cabinet fan) to an variable-speed fan controller that works off of a temperature sensor, you could make that part of it automatic. Could do the same thing with a relay triggered by the sensor (at least if it's one that has an "alarm" function/signal), but it would be cool (pardon the pun) if, instead of kicking off and on many times/day, it just ramped the fan down until it reached the correct temperature and then held it there.

i am gearing up for deer season now.

Good luck! I don't even know if I'll go this year. Actually, I don't like deer meat (I know, there must be something wrong with me). But when I get one, I eat what I don't give away and consider myself lucky to have the meat. Actually, I don't mind it if I can it.

There just aren't as many places to hunt as there used to be. I actually thought of joining a hunting club to gain access to the land that they lease, but I talked to some of the people and after hearing them discussing the $1000+ rifles, the four-wheelers they have so they don't have to sweat carrying things out of the woods, the automated day/night video camera setups they have set up to know where the deer will be when, the feed plots they have created to encourage the deer to go where it's most convenient for the "hunters," I became disgusted. That's not hunting and it's not sporting, either.

I'm not saying that my idea of hunting is one single-shot rifle for every thing a person goes after - my maternal grandfather did that with a .22 (and yes, he got deer too, although it's infinitely beyond MY skill level). He hit what he aimed at. But he was not only the poorest of the working poor, he had 13 children. I guess when you are lucky to afford even a couple of bullets, you learn not to waste them.

But I hunt (when I go out) the way Dad did; drive to the woods, take your rifle, and take a walk.

I'll probably just stick to squirrel and rabbit from now on. Maybe turkey.

Anyway, that is all "meat" for a different forum, I suppose. Good luck with your grow cabinet and I hope that you keep us updated.

one last thought before i leave, i can only legally posses 12 plants for now may be more later if i get another patient. i have been reading up on scrog and sog.

questions

1 what method scrog,sog or something else, will give me the best continuous and most yeild with 12 plants.

2 if i should get another pation this this will give me 24 plants, what method would be good for that.

i have access to clones and thought about getting them a month apart. so eventually i would have 6 in flower at different stages and one ripe every month and 6 in veg at different stages ready to replace the open spot in flower box. is this good idea or would some other method work better like sog or scrog PLEASE HELP.

hey soul thanks for the good luck, i hunt just like your dad did. drive to the woods, take gun and go for a walk. but we will be going for a week so we bring a camper and when i get tired of walking i pitch my small hunting dome and sit and wait. may be take a nap lol. i bought the cannabis bible to read while i wait for a dumb deer to walk past me. dumb ones are easier to hunt than the smart ones.

but if i could get some feed back on what method would work best with 12 plants for now and maybe 24 later using my cabinets. would give me something to think about while up north.

thanks.

one last thought before i leave

Be safe - and return.

i can only legally posses 12 plants for now may be more later if i get another patient. i have been reading up on scrog and sog.

questions

1 what method scrog,sog or something else, will give me the best continuous and most yeild with 12 plants.

2 if i should get another pation this this will give me 24 plants, what method would be good for that.

SoG seems to like (relatively) large numbers, providing less per plant. That would, I'd expect, be contraindicated.

ScroG? Hmm... You can do a more-or-less perpetual. It requires a lot more space (IMHO) and can take over your life. Scrog starts early in vegetative. Been there, done that. Picture single DWC hydro reservoirs on wheels with an eight square foot screen attached to each. Roll one out for harvest, roll another in. Want a harvest every week? Better have a large flowering room - and a large vegging room. Your weekly harvests would also be large, but oh the hassle. And lest you forget... You don't decide to do such a thing and instantly start the first one flowering. There's also a fair amount of time required before you can while the first entrant grows.

It would definitely work with your plant numbers, however. And if you went with more than a week between harvests, you wouldn't have most of your entire house devoted to the cause. Maybe just one floor, lol.

Do your patients need a perpetual/continuous harvest? Can you not give them their meds all at once (or at least in larger but further-spaced packages)? Are they capable of not going through the entire quantity - regardless of the size - as quickly as they can?

Probably easiest to just figure out how many you need for mothers, divide the rest up into small groups (say, 1-3?), divide that number by the number of weeks it takes to flower the strain, and place that many into flower at a time every "n" weeks. Using LST, pulling the first of the first batch out when ready and inserting the first of the next batch - then when the second set of the first batch is ready, replace with the second set of the second batch, and so on.

I would not think that adding another patient and his/her numbers would change whatever strategy you decide to go with - unless both patients require the same strains.

hey soul thanks for the good luck, i hunt just like your dad did. drive to the woods, take gun and go for a walk. but we will be going for a week so we bring a camper and when i get tired of walking i pitch my small hunting dome and sit and wait. may be take a nap lol. i bought the cannabis bible to read while i wait for a dumb deer to walk past me. dumb ones are easier to hunt than the smart ones.

Just beware of the dumb hunters. Again, be safe and return. Wish I was going with you.

soul, i think you miss read, not 1 a week. 1 a month.

ok sog out for now, scrog out but i did just read a cool thread from here about papas scrog.

little confused about your post. are you saying basically vegg a batch at one time then flower them,then get cutting off mother(once i get one)to start next vegg batch at appropriate time.?. is that better than a perpetual grow like 6 vegging a month apart and six flowering a month apart.(it goes without saying the ones being flowerd have already been vegged):)

thanks man.

basically just a normal grow, is that what u saying soul?

Back
Top Bottom