Fresh Harvest Infused Cannabis Oil

They look tasty Weezee. You put a lot of care into them. Do you know the cannabinoid load per cookie, by chance? How do you dose yourself with them?

I've made many infused oils, and all of them were potent. This particular process captures the terpenes you lose when you dry the buds first and then decarb. All of that is locked in the olive oil, making this the most potent of all I've produced. It's the terpenes that direct the action of the cannabinoids. When you hang to dry before making oil you lose over 50% of the monoterpenes, the most important IMO being myrcene, which is responsible for whisking the cannabinoids through the BBB.

After I decarb I weight it, and use 1oz of coconut oil per 1g of cannabis.
My cookies use 15ml of canna-oil, its pretty intense.
During the day, I use 0.5 ml to help for the anxiety. ;)

I stopped smoking for almost 9 months now, and just use my oil!

I'll have to look about the "terpenes", first time I read this word! :laughtwo:

I'll try it your way, I'll have fresh buds in 2 months! :)

Do you use a particular brand of olive oil?

When you hang to dry before making oil you lose over 50% of the monoterpenes, the most important IMO being myrcene, which is responsible for whisking the cannabinoids through the BBB.

My last batch was water cured, I wonder if it make it different for losing the "monoterpenes" (another weird word!).

After I decarb I weight it, and use 1oz of coconut oil per 1g of cannabis.
My cookies use 15ml of canna-oil, its pretty intense.
During the day, I use 0.5 ml to help for the anxiety. ;)

I stopped smoking for almost 9 months now, and just use my oil!

I'll have to look about the "terpenes", first time I read this word! :laughtwo:

I'll try it your way, I'll have fresh buds in 2 months! :)

Do you use a particular brand of olive oil?

My last batch was water cured, I wonder if it make it different for losing the "monoterpenes" (another weird word!).

The terpenes are tiny components that give the plant's smell. They evaporate out easily, and now we understand why we don't want that to happen. The monoterpenes are the lightest of the group, evaporating off the fastest, and from a medicinal point of view they may turn out to be the most important.

It's all new science. I mean, most of the doctors out there don't know we have endocannabinoid systems, and that this is the primary system we should be treating, since it monitors all the other systems.

We have a lot of learning ahead of us.

Sue, is there any reason you use olive oil as opposed to coconut oil? I'm really excited to try a fresh harvest oil after reading your thread. I also will be experimenting with your method of decarbing in the oil. Currently I always decarb before the oil is added because I wasn't able to make an effective oil the other way. But maybe it's because I never did the oil bath. I posted my method, you can see it in my signature. I would be interested to hear if you have already tried a method similar to this. From your posts is sounds like you have but it lacks the terpene profile you desire. I am skeptical that the terpenes can be retained in the oil. If they are lost in a dry cure, wouldn't they also be lost during the decarb method you describe?
Also, do you have any idea of what the equivalent dry weight of cannabis would be for 350grams of fresh harvest? Assuming 70% of mass is lost in curing process that would mean 350 fresh harvested grams is equivalent to about 105 grams of dry. But since you did a wash then the 70% may be higher. Does that sound right to you?
How come you did a wash? What is the purpose? It scares me to do a wash because I feel like some of the trichomes would break off in the process. But I have no experience with this.
I use 20-25 grams dry flower in one cup of oil. One teaspoon (15ml) is my daily dose and 2 teaspoons on days I want to go to Pluto. What dose of your oil brings you to the moon and what dose brings you to Pluto? Metaphors of course :)

Sue, is there any reason you use olive oil as opposed to coconut oil? I'm really excited to try a fresh harvest oil after reading your thread. I also will be experimenting with your method of decarbing in the oil. Currently I always decarb before the oil is added because I wasn't able to make an effective oil the other way. But maybe it's because I never did the oil bath. I posted my method, you can see it in my signature. I would be interested to hear if you have already tried a method similar to this. From your posts is sounds like you have but it lacks the terpene profile you desire. I am skeptical that the terpenes can be retained in the oil. If they are lost in a dry cure, wouldn't they also be lost during the decarb method you describe?
Also, do you have any idea of what the equivalent dry weight of cannabis would be for 350grams of fresh harvest? Assuming 70% of mass is lost in curing process that would mean 350 fresh harvested grams is equivalent to about 105 grams of dry. But since you did a wash then the 70% may be higher. Does that sound right to you?
How come you did a wash? What is the purpose? It scares me to do a wash because I feel like some of the trichomes would break off in the process. But I have no experience with this.
I use 20-25 grams dry flower in one cup of oil. One teaspoon (15ml) is my daily dose and 2 teaspoons on days I want to go to Pluto. What dose of your oil brings you to the moon and what dose brings you to Pluto? Metaphors of course :)

Ahhh.... A lengthy post is required. :cheesygrinsmiley:

When choosing a carrier oil you need to understand how they get absorbed. Olive oil is a long-chained fatty acid that gets absorbed into the lymphatic system before it gets to the liver, because of the size of the molecules. Missing the First-Pass through the liver means more cannabinoids get to play a medicinal role. Once they get metabolized by the liver enzymes they lose the chief values we're looking for. Every metabolized molecule is one taken out of the ranks of medical.

For this reason we recommend olive oil as a carrier for all conditions excepting liver cancer. Olive oil is also capable of disrupting cancer tumor cells on its own, among other beneficial effects, lending medicinal value to the cannabinoids.

For recreation you want to get high, so you choose coconut oil, a medium-chained fatty acid that goes straight to the liver after leaving the cauldron of stomach acids. With liver cancer you want the cannabinoids in the liver ASAP, so you choose coconut oil for that quick transport and you incorporate methods of competitive inhibition to keep those enzymes distracted, leaving the cannabinoids free to attach to tumor cells right there in front of the enzymes.

The terpenes and flavonoids get bound up in the oil you're using. The sooner you get the plant processed the more of those components you hold onto.

We've actually had members do intense investigation of what was found in the water left from budwashing. No good trichomes are injured with careful handling. You have to smash the buds against the sides or bottom of the buckets or basins to do damage, and most of us are more gentle than that.

Budwashing improves the drying process and enhances the cure. It washes off the debris you don't expect to find and the foliar residue you do. When I do a fresh harvest oil I let them hang to drip dry for four hours, but I know I've increased the weight somewhat. It simply hasn't made a difference to me. The oil is still the most potent I've produced to date.

I use a harsher formula. I figure I'm losing 80% so I anticipate 20% of my wet weight. So far I'm coming close to that estimate. That 350 grams would have been 70 grams dry in my books.

The secret to happiness is lower expectations. :laughtwo:

I take two capsules a day, one at breakfast and another around 5PM. That dose takes me beyond the moon, but not quite to Pluto. Lol! If I could take another I think that'd do it, but then I wouldn't be able to function. One of these days I'll try and report in. It has to be a slow garden day. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks for the great info SweetSue :) I look forward to working on the wet harvest method and joining your studies with this technique. Based on your dosage and the quite accurate space exploaration scale lol, it seems like your potency is much better than mine. I use 24 grams of dry flower and 1 cup of oil, resulting in a daily dose of 15ml of oil. You use roughly 70 grams dry and if you have the larger pills your dosage is about 1.5ml per pill, so 3ml. That is 1/5th my dose and you go beyond the moon. i assume your method has a very strong odor. Is there anything you do to prevent annoying the neighbours?

Thanks for the great info SweetSue :) I look forward to working on the wet harvest method and joining your studies with this technique. Based on your dosage and the quite accurate space exploaration scale lol, it seems like your potency is much better than mine. I use 24 grams of dry flower and 1 cup of oil, resulting in a daily dose of 15ml of oil. You use roughly 70 grams dry and if you have the larger pills your dosage is about 1.5ml per pill, so 3ml. That is 1/5th my dose and you go beyond the moon. i assume your method has a very strong odor. Is there anything you do to prevent annoying the neighbours?

Actually TopCola, when I'm cooking this oil up on the stove the smell doesn't resemble any cannabis smell you'd expect. This last batch, the BIL stopped up to replenish his med supplies and wondered what delicious thing I was preparing. He said it smelled like I was cooking a wonderful dinner. It always strikes me as odd, because once it's strained and made into capsules or bottled for future use it definately smells of cannabis.

You had me curious, so today, the last garden-easy day of the week, I took one capsule at 9:30 AM and followed up with another at 10. I'll take the third one around 6 this evening. I have a walking group I meet with on Wednesdays, giving me an opportunity to get some movement in starting at 5, which I'm pretty sure I'll need by then. :laughtwo:

:oops: I got so lost there I forgot I was doing this. Hahaha! Oh yeah, I'm high. I'll have to get outside as soon as I post this. I went off and started a new thread. :rofl: I am zipping along. :cheesygrinsmiley: I'm hoping to start a conversation.

When I Started

Good grief I'm high. It's been 90 minutes now since the last one and I'm way beyond the moon. I enjoy the rocket trip to Pluto.

Whew, this is speedy. Need to walk.

I'll be back later. Might have to pass on the third capsule. :laughtwo:

Actually TopCola, when I'm cooking this oil up on the stove the smell doesn't resemble any cannabis smell you'd expect. This last batch, the BIL stopped up to replenish his med supplies and wondered what delicious thing I was preparing. He said it smelled like I was cooking a wonderful dinner. It always strikes me as odd, because once it's strained and made into capsules or bottled for future use it definately smells of cannabis.

You had me curious, so today, the last garden-easy day of the week, I took one capsule at 9:30 AM and followed up with another at 10. I'll take the third one around 6 this evening. I have a walking group I meet with on Wednesdays, giving me an opportunity to get some movement in starting at 5, which I'm pretty sure I'll need by then. :laughtwo:

:oops: I got so lost there I forgot I was doing this. Hahaha! Oh yeah, I'm high. I'll have to get outside as soon as I post this. I went off and started a new thread. :rofl: I am zipping along. :cheesygrinsmiley: I'm hoping to start a conversation.

When I Started

Good grief I'm high. It's been 90 minutes now since the last one and I'm way beyond the moon. I enjoy the rocket trip to Pluto.

Whew, this is speedy. Need to walk.

I'll be back later. Might have to pass on the third capsule. :laughtwo:

I want some of what you're having:rofl::rofl:

Have fun girl, go for it. We only go around once.

I want some of what you're having:rofl::rofl:

Hahaha! Whew! That was an experience. :laughtwo: It's a half mile to the store, and a pleasant enough walk. I kept getting lost in the details. Lol! Stopped to take pictures of the sky and contemplate the effects of air pressure on water vapor, stopped completely dead at one point just to stop. Paused under an overhanging branch to enjoy the shade, but also to get in there and examine the wild grasses growing around the base. :laughtwo:

By the time I got home I was exhausted and had to throw myself across the bed to catch my breath. Can't stay done for long with this energy. It's time to mop the stairwells anyway. That'll burn off more energy.

Can you believe I get this from a CBD Critical Cure? I know my mind has a hard time wrapping itself around that.

After smoking with my girlfriend I often discuss the affects of cannabis and what we are feeling. It's difficult to explain. It just makes things better. I especially like smoking on hikes because it makes me appreciate nature more. I speculate that the reduction in physical pain and reduction in anxiety allows you to focus on the present. This is what meditation does as well. The purpose of meditating is to clear your mind, focus on your breath and the present moment. Meditating has been shown to physically change your brain and personality. If you haven't done it or researched it, I highly recommend it. Your experience today is similar to mine on cannabis assisted walks.

I want some of what you're having
19.gif
19.gif

Me, too!

Dory

Hahaha! Whew! That was an experience. :laughtwo: It's a half mile to the store, and a pleasant enough walk. I kept getting lost in the details. Lol! Stopped to take pictures of the sky and contemplate the effects of air pressure on water vapor, stopped completely dead at one point just to stop. Paused under an overhanging branch to enjoy the shade, but also to get in there and examine the wild grasses growing around the base. :laughtwo:

By the time I got home I was exhausted and had to throw myself across the bed to catch my breath. Can't stay done for long with this energy. It's time to mop the stairwells anyway. That'll burn off more energy.

Can you believe I get this from a CBD Critical Cure? I know my mind has a hard time wrapping itself around that.

Oh geez, Should I really buy CBD Critical Cure seed? I don't mind being high and sleepy at nite, but wired and barely functional during the day is not desired. I do need pain relief, be alert, effective, clear headed. Maybe another suggestion with less THC? Or when I decarb it, not go too far into the THCa-to-THC crossover, leaving less THC and more THCa available for pain relief and inflammation control.

I think I need to look for a CBD Cannatonic seed, for higher than high CBD and use that for making (experimenting, hahaha) a higher ratio CBD:THC , once decarbed. My understanding is that CBDa conversion to CBD is at a higher temp, or longer cooking at a lower temp.

Sheesh... I'm getting overwhelmed again. ::::sigh::::

Dory

Oh geez, Should I really buy CBD Critical Cure seed? I don't mind being high and sleepy at nite, but wired and barely functional during the day is not desired. I do need pain relief, be alert, effective, clear headed. Maybe another suggestion with less THC? Or when I decarb it, not go too far into the THCa-to-THC crossover, leaving less THC and more THCa available for pain relief and inflammation control.

I think I need to look for a CBD Cannatonic seed, for higher than high CBD and use that for making (experimenting, hahaha) a higher ratio CBD:THC , once decarbed. My understanding is that CBDa conversion to CBD is at a higher temp, or longer cooking at a lower temp.

Sheesh... I'm getting overwhelmed again. ::::sigh::::

Dory

This was an extreme experience Dory. I took two capsules to see if I could function. I'm an outlier, and I do function like that, in fact I function very well at that level of euphoria. It's not something I'll be repeating myself though. The CBD Critical Cure will be an excellent choice and a great place to start. It has a low amount of THC. I simply overextended.

I'd recommend the smaller size 0 capsules though, to cut the dose down. The Cannatonic would be a good choice for a second plant. It'll give you the CBD to play with as you adjust the mix to get ratios that work for you.

When you decarb the oil you watch for the bubbles. When they stop everything is decarbed.

After smoking with my girlfriend I often discuss the affects of cannabis and what we are feeling. It's difficult to explain. It just makes things better. I especially like smoking on hikes because it makes me appreciate nature more. I speculate that the reduction in physical pain and reduction in anxiety allows you to focus on the present. This is what meditation does as well. The purpose of meditating is to clear your mind, focus on your breath and the present moment. Meditating has been shown to physically change your brain and personality. If you haven't done it or researched it, I highly recommend it. Your experience today is similar to mine on cannabis assisted walks.

It was almost spiritual TopCola. :cheesygrinsmiley: This oil gives me the sweetest euphoric experience ever. I always feel safe.

Meditation is one of the best ways to reset the ECS and regain control of the emotional tone. I enjoy it, but I've never been able to get consistent with it. I resist anything that needs daily practice. Not sure where that comes from, but there it is. :battingeyelashes:

Could you use a crock pot, starting on a high setting then switching to a low setting for 4-6 hours?

I don't believe anyone has tried that SCGuy. My concern would be whether or not the water would boil off and if that would support decarb. When using a crockpot it's most common to start with dried and decarbed plant material.

I don't believe anyone has tried that SCGuy. My concern would be whether or not the water would boil off and if that would support decarb. When using a crockpot it's most common to start with dried and decarbed plant material.

I have tried that with excellent, and safe, results. I have a mini crock-pot that evaporates without boiling. And since I can plug it in away from the gas stove, there's no issue with evaporating alcohol fumes.

When I was messing around with my skin cream endeavours today I bumbled into what may be a handy way to separate the oil from the water. In particular I mean the water/oil mix, if you can call it that, that you get when you are extracting the last bit of oil from the ground up buds at the end.

Geez I'm stoned can't see straight.....not sure if these words are forming actual logical sentences. Ah well, carry on....

I used water to float the oil out of the oily strained-out bud grounds that were left over, as you described in post one.
Then I heated that up enough to melt some beeswax in the pot- about 20% of the amount of oil I guesstimated was in the pot.

Then I let it cool and just lifted the resulting lump out, leaving all the watery stuff behind. In my case I want the stuff semi solid for cream. But if it's liquid you want it could be reheated and mixed in with the main batch of oil. I don't think the total beeswax concentration would be enough to change the liquidity of the whole batch so it would be business as usual after that.

Make sense? ;)

I'm in!

Using smaller Ball Jars looks easier. With my PMR, I can't be lifting heavy pots. I just don't want to have a problem with hot oil!

I do have access to a testing lab. My MMJ office has a discount arranged with a lab, for its patients that grow and want lab numbers. I would be happy to drop off any infused oil or bud, whatever... ya just have to figure out how to mail it safely to me. I would be happy to SPLIT the cost of the lab fee, for a small sample of the oil to keep + one CBD seed. :thumb:

Dory
FWIW, my testing lab accepts mail in samples for testing. They recommend using UPS or FedEx and strongly suggest to NOT use the US Postal Service.

When I was messing around with my skin cream endeavours today I bumbled into what may be a handy way to separate the oil from the water. In particular I mean the water/oil mix, if you can call it that, that you get when you are extracting the last bit of oil from the ground up buds at the end.

Geez I'm stoned can't see straight.....not sure if these words are forming actual logical sentences. Ah well, carry on....

I used water to float the oil out of the oily strained-out bud grounds that were left over, as you described in post one.
Then I heated that up enough to melt some beeswax in the pot- about 20% of the amount of oil I guesstimated was in the pot.

Then I let it cool and just lifted the resulting lump out, leaving all the watery stuff behind. In my case I want the stuff semi solid for cream. But if it's liquid you want it could be reheated and mixed in with the main batch of oil. I don't think the total beeswax concentration would be enough to change the liquidity of the whole batch so it would be business as usual after that.

Make sense? ;)

So that tiny amount of beeswax does what? Bond to the oil? Interesting. I'll try that next time. That small amount can be used for creams. If I weigh the beeswax in advance I'll know how much oil it picks up.

FWIW, my testing lab accepts mail in samples for testing. They recommend using UPS or FedEx and strongly suggest to NOT use the US Postal Service.

I've always been curious Mike. Do you think they'd accept a sample from a state that's not yet legal?

Back
Top Bottom