Fresh Harvest Infused Cannabis Oil

20171119_0740481.jpg
These separate the water at bottom quickly when held vertcal briefly. Squirt water out into waste jar, then I squirt the oil in oil jar. Repeat a few times and done. It helps to use a tall narrow glass, but these do well also. EDIT: If you see the black relief on top. it has 2 positions. 1 is to vent so you can open quickly, but when cooking it should be in "Pressure" position, which is basically closed unless safety relief pressure is overcome. Only a safety, should not vent when in PRESSURE position, during cooking/decarb.

We use the OXO turkey baster for the same application (sucking oil) and it is wonderfully efficient...

Eerily psychic considering we just pressure canned 8 quarts of chicken stock!

Ooo..... Feel free to post any recipe and pictures. Using the "waste" water from FHO is definately on topic. :battingeyelashes:

Giving it another try.

IMG_570913.JPG

8 grams of Carnival in 1/2 cup of coconut oil. Blended together with the immersion blender - and I think I'll start using the plastic cylindrical container that came with the blender. Using it in the bowl splatters oil everywhere.

Three cups of water in the chamber. Set on high pressure for an hour. At the end I'll do a hot oil bath to judge the efficiency of decarb. I'm hoping this works. This batch is brownie oil, and if I can get it down to these simple steps, without the hot oil bath, I'm gonna be a very happy camper. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I've been considering purchasing the InstaPot. I am looking forward to your results, Sue! Thank you for everything you do!

Aww, gee whiz Ms Stank.... I do it because I love doing it, and I love passing on the information. :circle-of-love:

I won't be doing the oil bath until later today. I'm excited. :battingeyelashes:

The second attempt

I let the Instant Pot cool down while I tended to domestic chores. At 4 PM I opened her up, placed the bowl into the oil bath, and turned the heat on.

IMG_572314.JPG

Ten minutes later, at around 190 degrees F, decarb burst forth.

IMG_572511.JPG

Three minutes later I was up to temperature. This is where I typically keep my oils when I'm decarbing like this.

IMG_572710.JPG

Ten minutes later things are still going strong, although this was nowhere near as active as the first batch, run on low pressure. It took 80 minutes to completely decarb that batch. This batch cooked for an hour on high pressure. So far this is looking promising.

IMG_572815.JPG

By 4:20 things had begun to slow down. :laughtwo: I didn't catch the 4:20 until just now. Lol!

IMG_572916.JPG

Ten minutes later, just 30 minutes from the start and after 20 minutes of decarb, the oil suddenly goes quiet. * sigh of relief*

IMG_57307.JPG

I've added the liquid sunflower lecithin and set it in the fridge overnight. Tomorrow I'll bake the brownies while I have breakfast.

Sooo....... This means we're only a short span of time from a more complete decarb, but we also know that this will give a fairly good decarb. Since I'm making brownies with this oil I could have used it without total decarboxylation. The oil bath is just my way to check the efficiency as I work through the process to a decarb I'm comfortable with. This is a pot-in-pot success in my book. Cooking on high pressure brought me much closer to the goal.

I'm thinking next time I'll let it go for another 15 minutes. I considered going the entire 90 minutes the pot will allow you to do, but I have a sense it might not need to be that long. Any thoughts?

I'm a fan of incomplete decarb, unless you have a pressing need for a more complete one. It seems to me that diversity in the cannabinoid counts can only be a good thing. This is coming together well. I've already shown myself that I have a simple and stress-free way to make a quick brownie oil, and both the daughter and I dose with brownies. I can throw it together in no time, close it up, turn it on, and walk away without fear. When I take it out I need only add the lecithin, refrigerate overnight and cook the brownies the next morning. It's also much more fuel-efficient than what I was doing.

My life just got easier. I'm very happy. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Hey everyone, just wanted to stop in and say Happy Thanksgiving, hope you’re all feeling the effects of your FHO accordingly .

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :love:

Thanks 7. I'm having that brownie as we speak. :laughtwo:

Just chopped my C-99. Ended up with 175g of popcorn bud and trim. I am making 4c olive oil with it. I put about 1/2 of the trim into the food processor with 2c oil and 1c water. Blend the crap out of it. Add to Insta-Pot. Repeat with 2nd 1/2 of trim (it wouldn't all fit in my processor at one time.) Set the Insta-pot for 180 minutes on manual and away we go. When it is done cooking, I will strain and then separate water and add 4T Lecithin. :circle-of-love::peace:

To all who are treating their pets with cannabis:
I just heard about this on the radio. UC Davis is conducting a survey of pet owners/caregivers. Here is a link to the survey and information:
Archives | Vet Med News

From the UC Davis website:
Very few veterinary researchers and/or schools of veterinary medicine have conducted any significant research into the subject. The UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine is beginning to lead this charge with an anonymous survey to gather information on this topic. The data will then be used to educate the public on the growing role of these products in the pet population and potentially lead to future research.

Okay, LOOONNNGG time lurker, finally registered a while back to be able to sub to some threads, and first post. Thought it would be in one of the auto threads but shows what I know...

Let's go back to the beginning [Of this thread] - decarb was done in the pressure cooker, as a separate step. And I believe it should remain separate for good reason - it is far more efficient to heat up the weed by itself. Place the fresh weed in pint jars, put the lids on, and screw the lids on loosely. Or use the bowl covered tightly by foil. Add a of water to the instant pot, put the trivet in, and place the jars/ bowl on top. Set pressure to high and timer between 70 and 99. Probably best to use natural release method, just be safe.

Now blend oil and weed. If using jars, they can be combined, but I'd recommend no more than half full. Place the lids/ bands/ foil on top, add a cup of water to instant pot, put jars/ bowl in as before and process for 70 to 99 minutes again.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to try this for at least 50-60 days as I've just started growing again, but that's a different story.

Cheers from the darkside.

Forgot to add one thought -

Think about it: remember back when we used to make canabutter? We always decarbed first. Doing so in oil is obviously possible, but it is a pita, so why try to find a way when we know how to do it easily? I'm basically lazy, but what I like to call good lazy. I like to do things just once and efficiently.

Now back to the darkside.

Okay, LOOONNNGG time lurker, finally registered a while back to be able to sub to some threads, and first post. Thought it would be in one of the auto threads but shows what I know...

Let's go back to the beginning [Of this thread] - decarb was done in the pressure cooker, as a separate step. And I believe it should remain separate for good reason - it is far more efficient to heat up the weed by itself. Place the fresh weed in pint jars, put the lids on, and screw the lids on loosely. Or use the bowl covered tightly by foil. Add a of water to the instant pot, put the trivet in, and place the jars/ bowl on top. Set pressure to high and timer between 70 and 99. Probably best to use natural release method, just be safe.

Now blend oil and weed. If using jars, they can be combined, but I'd recommend no more than half full. Place the lids/ bands/ foil on top, add a cup of water to instant pot, put jars/ bowl in as before and process for 70 to 99 minutes again.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to try this for at least 50-60 days as I've just started growing again, but that's a different story.

Forgot to add one thought -

Think about it: remember back when we used to make canabutter? We always decarbed first. Doing so in oil is obviously possible, but it is a pita, so why try to find a way when we know how to do it easily? I'm basically lazy, but what I like to call good lazy. I like to do things just once and efficiently.

Now back to the darkside.

Very good points, and welcome to the effort. :hug: We blend fresh bud with oil before the decarb in an attempt to retain more of the terpenes, flavonoids and all the other components, like chlorophyll, that get destroyed in heat without the carrier oil to hold them in place. Although your suggested method works more efficiently for decarb, it may sacrifice the very components we're trying to hang onto.

Understand we're all making best guesses here. At the Holy Grail thread they play with testing to see how close we are to our goals, but few of us actually have the testing option available.

Following

Glad to have you along for the journey. :battingeyelashes:

Hi SweetSue,

I did make one mistake; the post with the link from psycro about using the pressure cooker was second one, not the first.

I do understand what you are trying to accomplish here in trying to preserve as much as possible. And perhaps my analysis is wrong. I am not a chemist, botanist, or biologist. But I have been an analyst for over 3 decades and solving problems. So let's review my assumptions and see if this can work, okay?

1. We are using fresh herb in order to preserve as many of these important chemicals as possible.
2. The temperature of the instant pot is the temperature of the instant pot. Period.
3. Chemicals break down at certain temperatures, in the presence of other chemicals, or combinations thereof.
4. Water vapor may carry away certain volatile chemicals we are interested in keeping.
5. Much of the heat energy is going into heating up the oil.

Did I miss anything there?

In psycro's experiment, he noted the moisture in bottom of the jar, which had a lid on it as I suggested. This indicated little water vapor escaped the jar. It should also be remembered that he was using a canning pressure cooker, running at 15 psi, and therefore a higher temperature. And, if this is a concern, or if the thought is that the oil is acting as a filter for the water vapor to recover any lost volatile chemicals, you could try running the oil cannabis mix through the instant pot twice. But I still believe a decarb cycle followed by an extract cycle makes more sense.

Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom