Fresh Harvest Infused Cannabis Oil

The reason the chopping is done in the oil is that the concept behind FHO is to preserve all the terpenes the plant has to offer. That's why it's infused in oil before it's dried and some of the terpenes evaporate. It may be possible to add the oil and buds to a standard blender and then pour the mash into the pot, so long as you don't leave goodness behind on the walls of the blender. Maybe use less than all the oil to do the blending and then clean the blender with the balance of the oil and pour that in the pot as well. Like what is done if you were to use a grinder when you make QWET, you would rinse the grinder with some of the alcohol.

I'm just thinking out loud as I haven't made FHO though!

Seems like it might do the trick for me and a friend... Time is of the essence these days, and that seems shorter than most oil cooks on here... Plus as a bonus, I now have permission to keep as much of the plant matter not used for harvest at work as I want... Downside of that is I have to process/decarb it there... Hopefully sometime this year I can sneak a few pics of the facility out... Would love to show some peeps..... Green day sister... Get to packing... And a PS, I wonder what you gonna do with the grow you got going on... That is at least 28 hours strait drive time..... Took me 8 plus from KCMO to Shreveport LA... IDK .....

Seems like it might do the trick for me and a friend... Time is of the essence these days, and that seems shorter than most oil cooks on here... Plus as a bonus, I now have permission to keep as much of the plant matter not used for harvest at work as I want... Downside of that is I have to process/decarb it there... Hopefully sometime this year I can sneak a few pics of the facility out... Would love to show some peeps..... Green day sister... Get to packing... And a PS, I wonder what you gonna do with the grow you got going on... That is at least 28 hours strait drive time..... Took me 8 plus from KCMO to Shreveport LA... IDK .....

I'll tear the grow down in advance and relocate it to my bedroom in NOLA. Lol! I'll be doing the same thing in a new address with a whole new life surrounding me. I'll get to unpack tents and lights and all the associated paraphenalia and start all over again, but this time I have a cannabis-friendly landlord and a whole new, exciting city to explore. :slide:

Hey SweetSue!
I love your work on fridge drying and Fresh Harvest Oil. I have just harvested yesterday and am desperately trying to internalize the 100's of pages of information available on each.
FHO Process (Pressure Cooker)
1) Harvest, Wash, Hang dry for 4 - 24 hours or is it straight to the oil infusion from wash?
2) Put 400g wet plant material with 1.5L water, 300-500ml of olive oil (according to desired strength)
3) Use immersion blender to grind plant material into a fine texture
4) If using a 5.5L Pressure cooker with 8Psi (64kPa) cook on lowest setting for 90-120 minutes
This is where I begin to get cloudy - my pressure cooker instructions only mention warm temp (60-80c) and I don't quite get the length of time applicable to my scenario.
Also is that amount of water correct?

Again love you work and thanks in advance

If anyone else that is knowledgeable and can write back that would be a massive help right now :Namaste:

Hi HiDro! I am sure Sue and others will be along shortly. I'll give a couple answers but encourage you to wait for others. One thing I can say for sure is you can go straight from wash to pot. You'll be boiling of all the water. I did this method a long time ago and it turned out great but have done it a little different since and it also turned out great. I no longer grind up buds which makes it easier to strain. I put the plant matter in pot with some water and use the highest setting on the IP to boil the water off, takes an hour or so and this also decarbs it. You have to check often to make sure it doesn't burn. Then add the oil, lower temp and let go for up to 6 it even 8 hours. Really 1-2 hours should work but longer infusion makes it stronger.

Good luck with it!

:passitleft:

Morning HiDro. :hug:

Here’s a link to the chart on pressure cooker temps. Pressure cooker decarb It was this thread that gave Psycro the idea to try a pressure cooker in the first place. The Instant Pot just made it all easier.

And thanks ween for stepping in. :hug:

So... if you wash your flowers after harvest you can spin them dry before clipping or let them drip dry a bit if you like, but as ween pointed out, you’re going to be boiling that water out anyway, so clipping right into the pot is what most have come to.

The chart I linked you to shows pressure temps in pressure cookers, and decarb is a function of time and temperature. If you’re using a temperature lower than around 110° C you’ll need to extend the time, if a complete decarb is what you’re after.

These days I’m not so stuck on the idea of complete decarb, so I don’t push it as hard anymore. I like the idea of a well-rounded serving of cannabinoids. :cheesygrinsmiley: Acid cannabinoids are turning out to be mighty powerful medicine.

The water added is to assure there’s enough water in the unit to get up to pressure and actually heat the way you intend. Psycro took the time to work that out, and I trust his guidance. This process is very similar to making butter - cook it all together and then separate the water from the oil when you’re done.

May I ask what you’re producing this oil for?

Ah thanks so much ween and Sue.

So a few questions are present for me:
  • How long after harvest qualifies as FHO
  • Where ween said you have to check it often to ensure it doesn't burn: do you leave the lid open? (I guess if your not fully decarbing this isn't as much of an issue)
  • My pressure cooker doesn't really determine different heat levels with it's settings just: 'keep warm', 'steam' 'chili/beans' 'chicken/beef' - maybe the 'chili/beans' setting would be the lowest/most applicable
  • For it to be FHO how wet does it have to be? (I harvested some yesterday and in my tent with extraction it dries out super quick)
I'm making this for medicinal purposes Sue - I have grown two medical strains:
• Candida CD-1 (THC: 1% & CBD: 20%)
• CBD Mango Haze (THC: 8% & CBD: 8%)
The CD-1 will be made into oil largely and used for:
▪︎myself (CFS, Nervous system relief and chronic inflammation treatment, also EBV treatment too)
▪︎a relative with diabetes (type 1) - support of secondary symptoms that result from diabetes
▪︎a friend with chronic back pain
▪︎a number of people that I know of in chronic pain that could benefit from it
The Mango Haze CBD doesn't have an intended target yet but I will probably trial it myself to see the medical qualities of the THC:CBD ratio

I was attracted to the low THC properties of CD-1 to use during the day and when psychoactive effects weren't desired

...just a bit of medicine :p

Wow, monster plant. So are you doing low and slow and tent drying? Probably best to follow sues instructions. My way, I've used for when I trim lowers a few weeks into flower instead of tossing with great results. I leave the top on, check in 20-30 minutes and put top back on. I use the soup button to start whoch I assume is one of th e highest settings then a simmer option for the infusion.

Okay so just to be crystal clear:
  • Put plant material into pressure cooker (i'm using 220g that has dried for day quite alot so coupd be equivalent to 400g of fresh wet maybe?)
  • Add 1.5L water (to aid adequate pressure)
  • Immersion blend or not?
  • Add 400ml olive oil
  • Then put on lowest setting for duration relevant to pressure cookers temperature (mine is 8psi so a boiling temp of 83°c - what would that mean for my time)
If it would be appreciated I can do a picture tutorial (because i'll be doing thos a few times this week)

Ween, i'm just drip drying in the tent then low and slow in the fridge :D

Thanks guys,
Dro :Namaste:

Sorry for the noob questions...(I have been trimming from 5am each day and finishing the day at 11pm. My brain has turned to mush :oops:o_O)
When we are infusing the oil:
  • Is the "low heat setting to use" the 'keep warm' setting or do you use an active setting like 'steam'?
  • Is there a maximum time that you can have the pressure cooker on for?
Thanks in advance again :hug:

I’ve checked a couple of times out of curiosity, and branches of buds do lose about 50-60% of their weight after a day hanging, so I think you’re ok on the estimation.

Incidentally, when I’m doing low and slo they hang 4 hours then I clip them into the bags. The longer they hang the more terpenes float away.

I agree with ween on using the high pressure setting for at least the first hour. You want that water boiled out of the plant material. If you have a high setting I’m assuming there’s also a low? On my Instant Pot the “Keep Warm” setting gets turned off. That’ll keep the pot warm when I want it to cool.

I do my pot-in-pot infused oils the full 110 minutes on high pressure, then let it cool naturally to complete the decarb.

You’re doing well soldier. :laughtwo: I call it “Trim Heaven.” Lol! Now it feels mostly like fun. :slide:

I went looking and found that Instant Pot operates at 11.6 PSI corresponding to an internal temp maximum of 242 degrees, at sea level.

That’s running on high pressure.

Adjusting for altitude, the internal temp of an IP in Denver would be 230° F, still good enough for a near-complete decarb.

Wow, monster plant. So are you doing low and slow and tent drying? Probably best to follow sues instructions. My way, I've used for when I trim lowers a few weeks into flower instead of tossing with great results. I leave the top on, check in 20-30 minutes and put top back on. I use the soup button to start whoch I assume is one of th e highest settings then a simmer option for the infusion.

ween, this was very helpful. Do you have an IP? Would you be able to get me a picture of the front of your pressure cooker? I have the smaller unit - it’s just me - and it’s set up differently. It’d be helpful if I could explain how to make one of the other units work.

I had the chance to document it at beez’s, and didn’t think of it.

Ah thanks so much ween and Sue.

So a few questions are present for me:
  • Where ween said you have to check it often to ensure it doesn't burn: do you leave the lid open? (I guess if your not fully decarbing this isn't as much of an issue)
  • My pressure cooker doesn't really determine different heat levels with it's settings just: 'keep warm', 'steam' 'chili/beans' 'chicken/beef' - maybe the 'chili/beans' setting would be the lowest/most applicable
  • For it to be FHO how wet does it have to be? (I harvested some yesterday and in my tent with extraction it dries out super quick)
I'm making this for medicinal purposes Sue - I have grown two medical strains:
• Candida CD-1 (THC: 1% & CBD: 20%)
• CBD Mango Haze (THC: 8% & CBD: 8%)
The CD-1 will be made into oil largely and used for:
▪︎myself (CFS, Nervous system relief and chronic inflammation treatment, also EBV treatment too)
▪︎a relative with diabetes (type 1) - support of secondary symptoms that result from diabetes
▪︎a friend with chronic back pain
▪︎a number of people that I know of in chronic pain that could benefit from it
The Mango Haze CBD doesn't have an intended target yet but I will probably trial it myself to see the medical qualities of the THC:CBD ratio

I was attracted to the low THC properties of CD-1 to use during the day and when psychoactive effects weren't desired

...just a bit of medicine :p

Oops! Missed this one. :laughtwo:

That is a lot of medicine. :thumb:

To answer your questions:
I try to get them cooking within 24 hours. In all honesty, it probably applies up to around 48 hours. After that you're already halfway to the jars. :cheesygrinsmiley:
ween already answered this.
Is there a manual setting? If it’s an IP and it has a manual setting that’s you’re high pressure setting, according to the gentleman beez spoke to at the company.
See above. You’re good. :hug:

Ah okay cool then regarding the bud weight.

Got to say I am loving this thread (and a whole lot of others too)...it's a shame I found this right after harvest where i'm trying to attempt it reactively rather than being able to do it proactively. I'll get there i'm sure :)

I don't have an instant pot - it's one from Kmart here in Australia (I don't think we can get instant pots here).

btw I have just done a batch:
  1. 220g (equiv 400g fresh wet) plant material + 1.5L water in pressure cooker
  2. 1 hour on high setting (soup)
  3. 300ml EVOO added
  4. 1 hour on high setting
  5. left on for an hour keep warm (my mistake here)
  6. Now I'm about to strain and jar :)
I will have another go later today and picture document it (to give back to the community that has helped me so much :)

Ah okay cool then regarding the bud weight.

Got to say I am loving this thread (and a whole lot of others too)...it's a shame I found this right after harvest where i'm trying to attempt it reactively rather than being able to do it proactively. I'll get there i'm sure :)

I don't have an instant pot - it's one from Kmart here in Australia (I don't think we can get instant pots here).

btw I have just done a batch:
  1. 220g (equiv 400g fresh wet) plant material + 1.5L water in pressure cooker
  2. 1 hour on high setting (soup)
  3. 300ml EVOO added
  4. 1 hour on high setting
  5. left on for an hour keep warm (my mistake here)
  6. Now I'm about to strain and jar :)
I will have another go later today and picture document it (to give back to the community that has helped me so much :)

Oh, I’m so excited for you! WooHoo! :yahoo:

I think @weenmeoff was an invaluable resource here. Hug ween!

:hug: :love: :hug:

I look forward to your documentation. I’m glad we could help you get to success. Don’t worry about the extra time on warm. Our big concern is degrading THC to CBN and it turns out that takes much, much longer than we thought.

Good work. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom