Fresh Harvest Infused Cannabis Oil

picked up one of these to use,
had a little play this morning,
i can set the times for each function 0-24h but it doesnt tell me the temps so im not sure which functions i should be using lol
all new to me this stuff and i never have been a competent cook...
38B5349D-B53F-416B-A44C-026380E24CD2.jpeg

350 grams of buds and 437 ml of olive oil.
Sue queen;
I'm interested in the following dosage.
I of ethanil oil CCO work from 10 ml concentrate-150 capsules-145 ml bases (coconut, lecithin, terpene.
Meanwhile, 145 ml of base with 10 ml of CCO work 150 capsules that are very powerful.
I wonder how many capsules can I work with 400 ml of an olive with 300 grams of dry cannabis?
:yummy::green_heart:

Sue queen;
I'm interested in the following dosage.
I of ethanil oil CCO work from 10 ml concentrate-150 capsules-145 ml bases (coconut, lecithin, terpene.
Meanwhile, 145 ml of base with 10 ml of CCO work 150 capsules that are very powerful.
I wonder how many capsules can I work with 400 ml of an olive with 300 grams of dry cannabis?
:yummy::green_heart:

So you’re thinking a straight infused oil from buds instead of CCO this time? My favorite oil is 500 ml of base to 400 grams of buds, and you’re close to that with this formulation.

500 ml of base to 400 grams of

Ok Sue :green_heart:I get 300 grams of flowers with ethanol to get about 40 grams of CCO. 40 grams of 78% thc.Od 40 grams of CCO work 600 capsules of 0.9 ml.

Now, those 300 grams would work with olive oil.
I'm interested in dosing. How much of your oil is in a capsule and give a moon with a lot of oil?

By my calculations you’re getting around 50 mg of THC per capsule using the CCO.

If you took those same 300 grams of flowers (I’m going to figure them at around 15%, which seems to be the norm) to 400 ml of EVOO you’ll end up with an oil about 95 mg/ml.

85% extraction efficiency x 15% expected THC load = 0.1275

0.1275 x 300 = 38.25 gr of available THC

38.25 x 1000 = 38,250 mg of THC available

38,250/400 ml of EVOO = 95.625mg/ml

I never expect to get 100% of the oil out of the plant material, and figure I’ll get about 90% instead. This means I’d expect to get back about 360 ml of infused oil. I’d anticipate about 396 capsules at nearly twice the THC load you got with your 600 capsules with CCO.

If you double the volume of EVOO you’d be close to the same dose you’re getting with the Biobombs. They’d be about 47 mg of THC instead of the 52 you got with your Biobombs.

Hope that helped.

Good Afternoon, CBD oil enthusiasts!

I am back at it...making CBD infused olive oil. I have harvested my weed and am now processing my first batch of infused olive oil. I am doing it almost the same as I did it two years ago but I would love some reassurance/advice from all of you more experienced folks.

I started with about 2.25 oz of dry weed and two cups of olive oil. I thought that might be a bit off or weak so I added just over one additional ounce of weed. That looked like a lot so I added another 1/4 cup of oil to the pan. I now have 3.25 oz of weed to 2.25 cups of oil. How does that sound? Heavy? Lite?

It will all be in the dosing which will be discovered. I guess I just need to touch base with others who have processed material like this. I am using my stovetop method with oil in a cast-iron dutch oven as the bottom of my double boiler with a 3qt saucepan that contains the weed and olive oil. I am keeping the temps between 220 & 240 and below 250 at all costs. How does this sound?

I have a lot of weed. I grew 6 plants this year and my harvest has been a good one. I grew two plants of CBDream, one plant of CBDutch treat and three plants of CBDiesel. CBDream is my favorite Indica that is great for sleep and pain and this is my third year growing it. The other two are Sativas that are also great for pain. The CBDiesel is supposed to be 20% CBD and under 1% THC. The reviews I have read seem to report more like 17% CBD and around 3% THC. Those are still fine but I was really looking forward to the original stats that I based my seed purchase on. I'm still looking for Critical Cure but have not had any luck.

So, that's it. My question is, using 3oz of weed and 2.25 cups of oil an ok ratio? Thanks, gang. Happy processing!

Sooey

I would decarb first. Once the weed is in oil it is harder to get complete decarb because of the insulating effect of the oil on the THCa.

According to my calculations in Oldbear's spreadsheet:

3.25 ounces (92 grams) weed at 15% THC (rough estimate)
and
2.25 cups (532 ml) EVOO
with an 80% infusion efficiency rating
will give you
20.77mg THC/ml EVOO.

Should be strong stuff!

I guess it depends on what you are planning to use the infused oil for. For edibles I feel that you portions might be heavy. I normally use about a half an ounce of decarb'd for a cup of olive oil for edibles. You didn't mention decarbing, but for infusing cannabis it's a must. I actually use about 10grams of decarb'd ABV (Already Been Vaped) per cup and a batch of brownies that calls for a 1/2cup of oil or butter is fairly potent. I normally find 1 or 2 one inch square brownies to be a nice evening high to go with a few dry vape loads. For me edible highs last almost twice as long.

I use these quanities for Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Vegetable Glycerin or Clarified Butter(Ghee). Ghee is my favorite for making brownies. Olive Oil for many other cooking applications. Coconut Oil for Chocolates and Veg Glycerin for Gummys and Candies.

On another note I decab and infuse at the same temp at 180degrees in my Instant Pot. I use a pint mason jar with the lid tight. For Decarbing I run for about an hour. For infusing I run for about 8-10 hours overnight. Then filter through a
Reusable Organic Cotton Muslin Fine Mesh Straining Bag found on Amazon.

This works for me when making edibles. For making tinctures or RSO you might find some recipes out there that call for for higher quantities of Cannabis. I just looked up RSO recipes and found the normal ratio is 1ounce decab'd to a liter of Everclear. Then again with RSO the liquid is completely evaporated before use. Different application.

There is nothing wrong with the amounts your are using however it might be a bit strong. Hope this helps.

Hi, InTheShed and BTz,
This is my third year making this infused olive oil. I process and after mixing in the sunflower lecithin I let it sit overnight in the frig before I bottle it up. I use amber, 1oz medicine dropper bottles and dispense sublingually, a few drops at a time. Each batch is a different strength so dosing is important. The weed that I am processing today is supposed to be less than 1% THC but the reviews I have read on it say that it is more like 3% THC. After I finish with this processing I will then use the leftover material for brownies or cookies, just to see what I get.

The only time I have decarbed before processing is when I have made cannabutter. Then, I decarb in the oven at about 225* for about 25-30 minutes.

I share my weed and my infused olive oil with family and friends. Everyone I have given it to has liked it a lot and has found it useful for pain as well as for anxiety. The Indiaca strain I have made for the past three years, CBDream, is great for pain as well as for sleep. I use it every night. It has become normal for people to ask me about it parties and even in the grocery store...all friends, family or friends of family. I live in MA where all of this is legal...as long as I give it away and do not sell it.

Thanks, ITS and BTz, I appreciate your input. It sounds like the ratio I used will be fine. I just turned off the stove so I am almost ready for the next step. I might even be able to bottle my first batch of 2019 this weekend. I'm glad coz I have a lot of weed hanging in my basement.

What a great thread.
I've been lurking for a while and have registered, so that I can ask some questions and get advice on what I'm doing.
I've followed Psycro, Sue and have been looking Magnus' butters and lotions thread.
I have read most threads a few times, but I'm struggling a bit to figure out what the best known method is today.

I've tried 2 fresh extractions -

Extraction 1
200g of popcorn, bud and trim (Cannatonic) in 500ml of olive oil with additional 200ml of water to help the immersion blending.
This all went into a beaker with a magnetic stirrer onto my hotplate, where it took about 3 hours to get the water out and then I ran between 100C and 110C for another 2 hours to decarb.
The stirrer struggled due to the thickness of the mush, but got better as time went on.
After cooling for a while, I strained and squeezed through a jelly bag.
I added LSL after some time in the fridge and made some 00 capsules.
I can't say I felt much when I used drops under my tongue, but the capsules helped me drop the amount of benzodiazepines that I have to take before bed to stop spasms/cramps.

Extraction 2
234g of Cannatonic and Northern Lights bud, trim and leaf in 250ml of olive oil with 400ml of water.
This was all chopped up with the immersion blender and all went directly into the steel bowl of the instant pot.
I ran high pressure for 2 hours in the morning and then left to cool.
In the evening, I ran the same recipe again.
The next morning, I strained and squeezed again and then separated the oil and water as best I could.
I then put this on the stirrer hotplate to get rid of the remaining water.
After this, I wanted to see if it was still decarboxylating and was surprised to end up doing 100C to 110C for another 2 hours.
I would stop the stirrer periodically and could see the bubbles still coming out until I got to about 2 hours.
It surprised me a little as I thought the instant pot would do the decarb.
On decanting into a clean beaker, I found hard sediment welded to the outer rim of the beaker, which needed soaking in water and dish soap for a couple of days before it came off.
I obviously have to add another finer filtration step and the jelly bag.
This oil with the LSL was stronger, but still nothing that would knock my socks off, which is fine because the Cannatonic is 1:1 and pretty low in THC:CBD to begin with.

So, for extraction 3, I like to try and piece together the current best known method (BKM) for a fresh extraction and to try and make it as strong as possible.
I'll probably try and use grapeseed oil because in interested in making a topical for pain.
I like the idea of keeping as many of the terpenes and flavonoids intact as possible.
Does my 110C decarb for 2 hours evaporate all of these off?
Also, why would you have the vent open in the instant pot ?
Doesn't this just mean that you never get to pressure?

Ideally, it would be great to get as close to CCO as possible using the fresh extraction.
If I used something like 100ml of oil and 200g of fresh bud and vastly increased the water to something like 1000ml, would we be confident that all the goodies would get out into the small volume of oil, assuming that it doesn't saturate?

Many thanks,

D

When I read @SweetSue's method in the first post of this thread I was surprised to see that the fresh bud was mixed with an immersion blender because I know with the alcohol evaporation method finely chopping is usually avoided to lessen plant chlorophyll in the final product.

I believe I read that using ethanol extracts chlorophyll because ethanol is a polar solution meaning it has a negative charge but I assume olive oil has no charge so is it safe to finely chop bud when infusing with olive oil? I ask because I don't own an immersion blender but just have an old-style blender and if I use that it will be chopped pretty much into a puree and I am wondering if I will be ok with olive oil and I won't get too much chlorophyll that way? I have a plant ready to harvest in the next day or so.

I gave some of Extraction 1 to a friend after his father was diagnosed with leukemia.
He's been taking a 00 capsule (1ml) at night time and says he's feeling a bit better.

I have to believe that this is more placebo effect than the oil after just a couple of weeks.

Hopefully he'll be able to get some blood numbers in the near future.

When I read @SweetSue's method in the first post of this thread I was surprised to see that the fresh bud was mixed with an immersion blender because I know with the alcohol evaporation method finely chopping is usually avoided to lessen plant chlorophyll in the final product.

I believe I read that using ethanol extracts chlorophyll because ethanol is a polar solution meaning it has a negative charge but I assume olive oil has no charge so is it safe to finely chop bud when infusing with olive oil? I ask because I don't own an immersion blender but just have an old-style blender and if I use that it will be chopped pretty much into a puree and I am wondering if I will be ok with olive oil and I won't get too much chlorophyll that way? I have a plant ready to harvest in the next day or so.

I recently made a batch with 80g of freshly frozen hi-CBD bud into 300g of combined coconut oil and LSL. 80g of the fresh frozen should be equivalent to 20g of dry bud. Used a hand blender to grind it up good in the warming oil then ran the heat up to 250F and it finished decarbing in about 30 min.

I think with my next batch I'll do the decarb then strain and once cooled below the bp of the water add some then run that hand blender for a bit to really mix it good then refrigerate so the oil solidifies on top of the water and the chlorophyll, sugars and other water solubles can be poured off with the water. A seperatory funnel would be handy when using oils that won't solidify in the fridge but there are other ways.

I really don't see why chlorophyll is that much of a concern for edibles. It's actually good for you and when I make my cocobudder I want the whole plant extract. I'm thinking it might just taste a bit better with the gunk out tho it's not all that bad.

I will be making a lot of RSO soon for my wife and first have to distill 2gal of camp stove fuel to make some naphtha for the extraction. That'll last me a long time as I'll use the still to recover it after each batch.

Some BHO to use with DMSO in little roller ball bottles for topical application to my worst achy joints is in the job jar too. :) Have 6 cans of 9X filtered butane for that little job.

good luck!

:peace:

What a great thread.
I've been lurking for a while and have registered, so that I can ask some questions and get advice on what I'm doing.
I've followed Psycro, Sue and have been looking Magnus' butters and lotions thread.
I have read most threads a few times, but I'm struggling a bit to figure out what the best known method is today.

I've tried 2 fresh extractions -

Extraction 1
200g of popcorn, bud and trim (Cannatonic) in 500ml of olive oil with additional 200ml of water to help the immersion blending.
This all went into a beaker with a magnetic stirrer onto my hotplate, where it took about 3 hours to get the water out and then I ran between 100C and 110C for another 2 hours to decarb.
The stirrer struggled due to the thickness of the mush, but got better as time went on.
After cooling for a while, I strained and squeezed through a jelly bag.
I added LSL after some time in the fridge and made some 00 capsules.
I can't say I felt much when I used drops under my tongue, but the capsules helped me drop the amount of benzodiazepines that I have to take before bed to stop spasms/cramps.

Extraction 2
234g of Cannatonic and Northern Lights bud, trim and leaf in 250ml of olive oil with 400ml of water.
This was all chopped up with the immersion blender and all went directly into the steel bowl of the instant pot.
I ran high pressure for 2 hours in the morning and then left to cool.
In the evening, I ran the same recipe again.
The next morning, I strained and squeezed again and then separated the oil and water as best I could.
I then put this on the stirrer hotplate to get rid of the remaining water.
After this, I wanted to see if it was still decarboxylating and was surprised to end up doing 100C to 110C for another 2 hours.
I would stop the stirrer periodically and could see the bubbles still coming out until I got to about 2 hours.
It surprised me a little as I thought the instant pot would do the decarb.
On decanting into a clean beaker, I found hard sediment welded to the outer rim of the beaker, which needed soaking in water and dish soap for a couple of days before it came off.
I obviously have to add another finer filtration step and the jelly bag.
This oil with the LSL was stronger, but still nothing that would knock my socks off, which is fine because the Cannatonic is 1:1 and pretty low in THC:CBD to begin with.

So, for extraction 3, I like to try and piece together the current best known method (BKM) for a fresh extraction and to try and make it as strong as possible.
I'll probably try and use grapeseed oil because in interested in making a topical for pain.
I like the idea of keeping as many of the terpenes and flavonoids intact as possible.
Does my 110C decarb for 2 hours evaporate all of these off?
Also, why would you have the vent open in the instant pot ?
Doesn't this just mean that you never get to pressure?

Ideally, it would be great to get as close to CCO as possible using the fresh extraction.
If I used something like 100ml of oil and 200g of fresh bud and vastly increased the water to something like 1000ml, would we be confident that all the goodies would get out into the small volume of oil, assuming that it doesn't saturate?

Many thanks,

D

I'm pretty sure that using too much pot in relation to oil won't get all the cannabinoids in the oil once extracted. Better to just take a larger dose of a milder product to get the same effect. I save the strained pot after making cocobudder and add it to smoothies or baked goods so not a bit goes to waste.

If you want CCO then you'll have to make CCO. 14 years in prison for making concentrates with organic solvents now here in Canaduh. Welcome to Prohibition 2.0!

I'm pretty sure that using too much pot in relation to oil won't get all the cannabinoids in the oil once extracted. Better to just take a larger dose of a milder product to get the same effect. I save the strained pot after making cocobudder and add it to smoothies or baked goods so not a bit goes to waste.

If you want CCO then you'll have to make CCO. 14 years in prison for making concentrates with organic solvents now here in Canaduh. Welcome to Prohibition 2.0!

Have you done tests that show when oils get saturated?
I'm very interested in this.

Like you, I kept all the solid material from my last extraction for brownies, so nothing is actually lost.
If I'd could get over 95% of my initial oil back, then I'd try another new infusion with that oil again.

I've been looking at bottle jack presses to see if this is actually feasible.
Some stuff to work on in the new year.

It would be good if there was a way for people to get stronger oil without the risk of burning the house down.

ran the heat up to 250F and it finished decarbing in about 30 min.
I'm pretty sure that decarbing bud in oil takes a whole lot longer than it would dry, as oil is an excellent insulator.

Here are some interesting lab results:

Sure, Nova is trying to sell you their gear, but it gives you an idea of how inefficient decarbing in oil can be.

Have you done tests that show when oils get saturated?
I'm very interested in this.

Like you, I kept all the solid material from my last extraction for brownies, so nothing is actually lost.
If I'd could get over 95% of my initial oil back, then I'd try another new infusion with that oil again.

I've been looking at bottle jack presses to see if this is actually feasible.
Some stuff to work on in the new year.

It would be good if there was a way for people to get stronger oil without the risk of burning the house down.

I haven't done any actual testing other than the effect I feel from different concentrations. With decent bud I get a lot more effect from a 10:1 batch than the 20:1 so I can tell it's stronger or relieves what ails me better.

Pressed resin is a good way to get your CCO without the danger of solvents but I prefer for myself products like cocobudder that give me the whole plant extract. That being said I'm planning on using naphtha to make RSO out of around a pound of bud I have laying around. The wife is building up a good tolerance and one good batch will keep her going until I crop more in a couple months.

I'm pretty sure that decarbing bud in oil takes a whole lot longer than it would dry, as oil is an excellent insulator.

Here are some interesting lab results:

Sure, Nova is trying to sell you their gear, but it gives you an idea of how inefficient decarbing in oil can be.

I cook the oil at 250 and it bubbles away quite nicely and once bubbles stop I figure the decarb is done. It can't be water boiling off as it's been above the bp of water for more than an hour at that point I can see the water steaming off as it's heating up. Oil extracted with solvent I heat up on my hotplate in a small beaker until it hits 250F and it bubbles too as it decarbs. Got the wife a fancy french door convection oven for Xmas that should be great to do decarbs like that.

Seems to work fine. Been thinking about getting one of those sealed units to decarb the pot in the oven before hand but I think about lots of things. ;)

I can do everything these fancy machines can do with just a little more effort. Wife got a new-fangled pressure cooker from a friend for Xmas and that will see some use in making goodies as well. I want a heated magnetic stirrer myself but that can wait.

There seems to be evidence coming out that THCA is every bit as effective as THC in fighting tumors etc so I'd like to find out more about that. Would be great to be able to take higher doses without the higher high.

I can do everything these fancy machines can do with just a little more effort. Wife got a new-fangled pressure cooker from a friend for Xmas and that will see some use in making goodies as well. I want a heated magnetic stirrer myself but that can wait.

There seems to be evidence coming out that THCA is every bit as effective as THC in fighting tumors etc so I'd like to find out more about that. Would be great to be able to take higher doses without the higher high.

I’ve long considered that we’ll advance the cause of healing significantly when we start eating or juicing fresh buds as a matter of course. We know so much about THC because they were doing their best to vilify cannabis. We know so much about CBD because everyone smells profit.

I personally feel more confident about what we learn out here in the field. The rest is simply theory to me, but the theories about THCA are provocative. It’s now considered an option in topicals instead of CBD because it’ll do much the same for inflammation, whereas CBD absorbs better through the gut.

DrDoob has me seriously thinking about finding a way to overcome the smell problem when squishing buds for solventless rosin. It opens up a whole new level of experience. Too risky here yet.

Thank you guys for staying on top of this thread. @InTheShed, you do realize that without you I’m next to nothing? :hug::hug::hug:

Back
Top Bottom