Fresh seeds

buckeyebonger

i have been growing for somewhere between 40 and 50 years in the last ten years i started getting seeds from seed banks. i also produce my own seeds by ordering regular seeds and doing my own pollination. in the last two weeks i started a new grow using seeds from three breeders from a seed bank. ( i don't want to give any names because i do respect their business). my own seeds have at least a 75% germination rate. of course i know they are fresh. the ones from seed banks appear to be going downhill. i'm lucky to get a 10% germination. as my seeds get older they also get a lower germination rate. on my last three or four grows i don't think i had fresh seeds. i germinate them together so it is the same soil, water heat, light etc. i simply don't think they are fresh. i think they have been sitting around looking for a good home for too long. any ideas or banks or breeders that get better results? i read the reviews and people talk about great germination rates. i get it from my own, but not the others.

Do you soak your seeds or just right into your medium? Many folks do the 24 hour soak before going into their medium, I seem to have much better germination rates doing that personally. Some folks scuff the shell lightly with sandpaper for older/more stubborn seeds, but not something I have tried so no experience with it myself.

i have soaked them, put them in damp paper towels, scuffed them etc. i've tried just about every method . the ones i create through pollination germinate fine. in this last grow, i used almosst 30 seeds from seed banks. i got germination on three of them. with my own seeds, i have germination on about 30 of them. same method.

I haven't run into that bad of luck or as of yet, I do have some I bought 3 years ago so I guess time will tell. Some folks store them in Fridge or Freezer but not anything I have tried, I just keep them in a dark place is all at room temp.

Interesting.

I have not bought any seeds. Just asked around and people give me seeds. Sometimes they are bagweed seeds and sometimes they are something bought from a seed bank. Sometimes there is a story with the seeds and sometimes not. I keep track of whose seed is whose and the name. Whatever they say it is, is what I write down.

Germination rates have been in the 90-95% area and that includes a batch of Papaya seeds the person said had been in his kitchen cupboard for 4-5 years and that was two years ago. I put 4 right into the soil a year ago. 100% germination and all of them flowered. A year before I pulled 8 seeds out of his container and 7 germinated but I do not remember if they were all female or not.

Back
Top Bottom