Fresno Co. Deputies Bust Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Jacob Bell

Ryan Jackson started off confused.

"All kinds of weird questions about where these peoples money goes and where their money is, how much their medicine costs? It was all about money," Jackson said about the questions police were asking him.

Then he got angry.

"I'm pissed. They didn't handcuff us, but they lined us up in rows and just started taking our marijuana," Jackson said.

He and all the others there say they've got a good reason.

"I got hit by a drunk driver two years ago and I have really bad back injuries," Jackson said.

"I shattered my patella. So I have hard times walking. I have a hard time standing up for more than a half hour at a time," Chris Rice, medical marijuana user, said.

But the neighbors aren't buying it.

"These people do not have money to pay the rent. They do not have money to make a car payment. They do not have money to do anything else. But they have money to buy drugs," Carlos Martinez, who lives in the area, said.

On and near Clovis Avenue there are four different medical marijuana dispensaries.

Neighbors say the people who use the dispensary speed down their streets, park in front of their homes and sometimes even on their lawns.

They say from the time they park to the time they get to the dispensary, a lot of stuff happens.

"I caught one guy trying to steal my car. They stole my motorcycle four weeks ago, barely found it last week. They broke into my neighbors' house not too long ago. We had a shooting over here in April. We have had several fights in front of the business," Martinez said.

"A man got out of his car before he went down to get his drugs, opened his pants and urinated in front of my 12-year-old son on my lawn," Elizabeth Thacker, who also lives in the area, said.

Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims says the constant complaints didn't fall on deaf ears.

"I know this is a very contentious issue," she said.

Investigators raided the dispensaries, homes and warehouses believing they're violating state and federal law by drawing big profits.

"We'll be looking for phone records, bank records, delivery information," Mims said.

It was an operation praised by people who live there.

"I don't have a problem with them smoking, drinking or jumping off the bridge if they want to, but just not to do it in our neighborhood to cause problems to our families," Martinez said.

But it was not so applauded by the patients.

"I'm probably going to end up going and buying something off someone on the street, find someone on the street corner that's got something because I need my medication. That's just the way it is," Rice said.

Sheriff's deputies tells us they found so much evidence inside the marijuana dispensaries, there's no way they can go through it all in one day.

They'll have a full report of what they found Thursday morning.

No arrests were made during Wednesday's busts.

Sheriff Mims says the department has the evidence to build its cases.

She says, the U.S. attorney has reviewed the investigation and made sure the prosecution has what it needs to move forward with charges.

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: kmph.com
Author: Ashley Ritchie
Copyright: WorldNow and KMPH
Website: Fresno Co. Deputies Bust Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Back
Top Bottom