Friend Or Foe? Predators Of Eden

:thumb:

Here’s one to cheer you up that you wont have seen. Off topic for the thread seeing as it’s not a garden friend ... but guttation is a plant process whereby the inner juices are excreted through special openings in the tissue... it is sticky and sweet like nectar... yes I ate it!

Oops, better invite you! @Virgin ground :Namaste:
So the bees must collect that shit for honey

Hey folks - it’s been a while but I’m growing outside again so the critters of all sizes and persuasions, friends and foes, are out in force. I have a couple of Autos in small Air-Pots and already had to remove some mites on one of them in the first week.

The predators are out in force as well, of course, and are working hard. Yesterday afternoon, amidst many zooming tiny gnats (or other kind of midge-type thing), there were two of these beautiful long-legged flies. They each sat on top of a seedling and were taking off and hawking the midges and then landing again, on the seedlings. A wonderful sight :D

They flutter their wings while they’re resting on the plant - maybe so they are ready for max speed as soon as they take off. It all happens very fast from my perspective!

Another angle - for ID purposes :) Their heads are very hover fly like, but their general appearance is the long legged fly I’m pretty sure. I haven’t delved any deeper into that yet.

And leaving the best till last - the portrait ;) How about those feet! :love:

:ciao:

Australian Leafroller Tachinid - Trigonospila brevifacies

DSC_0426_small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom