Fungus Gnat

boscodog

Hi, is there a stage of the fungus gnat that lives inside the plant? Could the jiffys Im using be contaminated.? I am treating for fungus gnats but clones dont seem to root. ???????-bd

Does the gnat damage prolong the rooting? Thanks-bd

No, gnat damage to a mother doesn't prolong rooting to my knowledge. Fungus gnats larvae hatch and live in soil until they undergo metamorphosis. While there " they feed on tiny delicate root hairs and scar larger ones" (Medical Marijauna Grower's Bible Jorge Cervantes 363). If you were asking if gnats can prolong rooting time for propogation, that's what I answered no to. There have to be roots or dead/decaying plant matter there for them to feed, i think rooting hormone would kills them if eaten. They are more of a nuisance, but can be a serious problem when medium stays soggy and full of larvae because the wounded roots put your plants at greater risk for fungal attack.

No prob. and to answer ur other question. There is no phase in the life cylce of a fungus gnat that lives inside of the plant. Only pests I know of that does that are borers (beetle, moths). There a guy with a post entitled Help Stems Bursting Open or something to that affect if you want to c what happens when a pest lives inside of ur plant (he has pics up).

What are some symptoms of fungus gnats? I think i have some and lower leaves are starting to yellow and die off. Im using soil and just moved to 12/12 2 days ago. Ph has always been an issue but this just started to happen. Ladies are 6 weeks old.

fungus gnats will not yellow your leaves...im pretty sure on that....i have had a very serious breakout of fungus gnats and they never made any of my plants leaves yellow.....i will tell you that fungus gnats larvae will kill your seeds....a story to back this up.......i put about 30 beans in thoes jiffy things....after about 2 weeks none of the beans had came up.....so i took my tweezers and grab a jiffy pot and took the bean out...when i looked at it, it had a little tap root coming out of it or what i thought was a tap root.....it was a gnat larvae laying directly on the opening on the seed where the tap root comes out......surprise the s**t out of me when i seen it move.

now when i go into my grow room or flower room i might see 1 or 2 in either room.....most of the stuff i read on killing them did not work for me......the sand method or the perlite store bought soap home made soap srays,...i even went as far as to buy some chewing tobacco and make a soap out of it and it really didnt work.....i will tell you tobacco will not kill your plants because i soaked mine with no harm....even spraying neem oil directly on my plants didnt slow the gnats down much....what did work was spraying neem oil directly on the soil and hanging some of thoes hot shots insect strips....i sprayed neem oil on the soil for about 2 weeks...3 times a week.

I went to my local hydro store and was told to buy
Quick-Kill Mosquito Bits and sprinkle it on the soil to kill off the larvae. I left the stuff on the soil for 2 days but am i supposed to take it off or leave it on the soil? Or do u apply then water? Adults seem to be keep coming. I need something for them too.

a santurro99 you need to get thoes hot shot no pest strip.......they will kill the adults fungus gnats.........if you get some neem oil and spray it directly on the soil it will kill the larvae.....you may have to spray the soil a few times a week.....i have 3 no pest strip in a 4x6 room and it took about 2 weeks to kill just about all the adult fungus gnats........peace bros.

I was told to dissolve them in the water and then water your plants. For the adults I used sticky strips. If this doesnt work use azamax.

disolve what in water

Wow u guys went to town on this one. Let get a few things str8 here:
1)Fungus gnats (lavae) feed on root hairs hairs and decaying plant material in soil. They don't typically turn leaves yellow if ever. Ur lower leaves may be doing this because as the plant grows the lower leaves recieve less and less light killing them slowly. The yellowing most likely is due to the plant moving its mobile nutrients to where its needed elswhere.
2)I have never heard of a fungus gnat eating/killing a seed. As stated the gnats feed on roots. seeds don;t have roots.
High humidity and soggy soil provide an excellent environment within moderate to warm temps. The adults live to reproduce I believe (meaning they don't feed). The gnats will stymie the growth of ur plants. They can become severely stunted with an untreated infestation. With some kind of treatment the plants usually if not most times finish b4 the infestation get ridiculous. I've never heard of fungus gnats killing plants. They do however leave plants more susceptible to fungus attacks (think of open wounds on roots). i hope this clears up some of the confusion. And yea soil drenches are effective at treating the fungus gnat larvae, sticky traps for adults. Mosquito dunks work as well I'm told. I saw some1 above mention these. The horticultural sand isn't a great idea because when u water is becomes displaced once again exposing soil surface. Unless u are meticulous and will re-cover all of the spots in all of the pots then IMO its a waste of time. The have sticky traps on a stick that I've been seeing recently u can place right around the rim of ur pots in the soil. The gnats hang around the soil laying eggs, mating, and such. I have observed them many times in the past running around the rim of the pots.

I know for a fact that fungus gnat larvae will kill the tap root coming out of a bean....Ive seen it with my own eyes......like i said in the above post...... i had about 100 beans in jiffys pots under a dome........after about a week or so when none of my beans came up, i took some tweezers and pulled a couple beans out of the jiffys and what i thought was a tap root moved..i nearly drop the bean it scared my so much......WTF.....i threw the whole dome away...

My mistake i miss spoke...i did mean the tap root and not the seed it self.......thanks....BWC.peace bros.

What are some symptoms of fungus gnats? I think i have some and lower leaves are starting to yellow and die off. Im using soil and just moved to 12/12 2 days ago. Ph has always been an issue but this just started to happen. Ladies are 6 weeks old.
I was reading an article yesterday, and it had pics of the lower leaves yellowing, (EVEN THE VEINS- is a sure sign) needs sulfate----it was in 420 that I read the article if you want to look first.....I Would....I'd hate to be telling you wrong.

Back
Top Bottom