Fungus Gnats!

High Guys!!

I have a fungus gnat problem. I would say as of now it is moderate, however, it needs to stop as I am in the process of setting up a perpetual grow.

4 plants are entering their third week of flowering in my flowering tent. Lets call it 'the big tent'. I also have 3 seedlings and 2 (well rooted) cuttings in my veg tent (lets call it the little tent)

The big tent has one plant in which I am certain the gnats have destroyed the root system as it has grown much slower than the others from around the third week of veg. The other plants appear to be fine, for now.

In the little tent, there is no apparent damage, yet. Although there is adult gnats flying around, especially when the soil is disturbed.

:yikes:

I have had loads of help so far from the growers following my journal, I was looking with this post to reach out and try and get some advice from others also.

QUESTION 1 - Will Hydrogen Peroxide, h202, slow them up? And if so how should I dilute/use it?

QUESTION 2 - Willl Perlite on the soil surface and bottom watering slow them up?

^^The above two are controls I can put into effect as of tomorrow.

QUESTION 3 - As stated above, I am kind of looking to get rid of them all together, can you guys recommend a way to eradicate them all together, and then some follow up practices to keep them at bay once and for all.

Many Thanks in advance, Cheers, Mono

:peace::Namaste:

SNS-203 is a sponsor of the forum AND works very well for the fungus gnats.

I believe many people have had good results, here on the forum, I know we have in our store.

I agree, have heard great results and am very interested in and am looking into purchasing that product. Although I live in Scotland so by the time it comes, if it can be posted here, the problem will have manifested to an infestation.

I am very interested in supporting our fantastic sponsors and it's just the product I am looking for. However, I was looking to see what I can do in the mean time to at-least slow them up

Cheers, Mono

Get some sticky traps (not the chemical kind). I have four of them stationed around my tent. I put about an inch of play sand on top of my coco mix with some diatomaceous earth mixed in, in cloth pots, and I bottom feed. The traps obviously catch the flying gnats, the sand prevents them from getting to the medium from the top, the cloth pots prevent the bastards from getting to the medium from below and any larvae inside from getting out to mate, fly around, piss me off, etc., the DE shreds their exoskeletons and causes them to dehydrate. Eventually, they go away. Just get a lot of traps, because you'll be changing them out for a while. At least, that's how I do it. I'm not too keen on smoking chemicals and spending money when I don't have to. All those things mentioned are really, really cheap. No offense to our sponsors, but you asked for the cheap route. I don't know about peroxide, though. I have heard good things about it.

Solution to fungus gnats....

let soil dry out more between waterings....

get yellow and blue sticky cards, place them in shaded areas under foliage, near surface of soil and even between pots...(*this will catch and kill the adults..)

Get a soil drench product like SNS and use as directed for at least 30 days...

Pick up mosquito dunks and crush up 1/4 to 1/2 a dunk per 5 gallons of water and use every other watering...

This should eliminate the problem with gnats completely...

Pretty sure the 209 is mainly a rosemarry based product? Someone correct me if I am wrong, OG

SNS209, 10% Rosemary extract,0.23% Rosemary Oil, Other ingredients 89.77% water, quilaja saponin & humic scid.

Hey Mono, I use SNS203 & 209 combined with great results, a lot of other peeps do to. If youre in Scotland and it is really 150 bucks to get it out there than you probably wont want to go along that road. The ingredients in the sns stuff don't sound too hard to get your hands on and works wonders. I have also heard good results with the mosquito dunks also! I'm currently battling these gnats and am on the last string of them I hope!! Goodluck with your war Mono!!
:peace:

SNS-203 Would cost 150.02 USD to ship to Scotland, so way too expensive.

I am going to go down the route of perlite on top of the soil and some sticky traps, if that doesn't work then some mosquito dunks.

You definitely want the sticky traps, but also definitely want to use a soil drench...fungus gnats breed in a 30 day cycle and each adult can lay 300 or more eggs, so stickys will only go so far. You definitely want to get a soil drench that kills the larvae before they become adults as well as kill the eggs. If you can't get SNS, check out Azamax, Azatrol, and Mosquito dunks...They all work well.

DSC00679_800x532_.jpg
this is what I do. cover soil with 1/4 inch of sand.It smothers larva that are in roots. and I think It prevents adults from laying eggs. Still get a few ,but works pretty good . Try it and its free.

I like bozzo's suggestion.

I had a bad gnat infestation on my second grow. This time around I am going to go with beneficial nematodes, they are cheap, natural and effective! :)

High Guys!!

I have a fungus gnat problem. I would say as of now it is moderate, however, it needs to stop as I am in the process of setting up a perpetual grow.

4 plants are entering their third week of flowering in my flowering tent. Lets call it 'the big tent'. I also have 3 seedlings and 2 (well rooted) cuttings in my veg tent (lets call it the little tent)

The big tent has one plant in which I am certain the gnats have destroyed the root system as it has grown much slower than the others from around the third week of veg. The other plants appear to be fine, for now.

In the little tent, there is no apparent damage, yet. Although there is adult gnats flying around, especially when the soil is disturbed.

:yikes:

I have had loads of help so far from the growers following my journal, I was looking with this post to reach out and try and get some advice from others also.

QUESTION 1 - Will Hydrogen Peroxide, h202, slow them up? And if so how should I dilute/use it?

QUESTION 2 - Willl Perlite on the soil surface and bottom watering slow them up?

^^The above two are controls I can put into effect as of tomorrow.

QUESTION 3 - As stated above, I am kind of looking to get rid of them all together, can you guys recommend a way to eradicate them all together, and then some follow up practices to keep them at bay once and for all.

Many Thanks in advance, Cheers, Mono

:peace::Namaste:

" If you take fresh ground cinnamon in a spoon and dust the top of your soil in the container. Just shake it all around and cover the area, but not overload it, just a good dusting. And the Flying bugs that hatched won't come back. And the larvae bugs won't penetrate it to come out. So they will die. I was told this by a friend...I had them black bastards from hell. And it did just the trick...GONZO...and it's probably the cheapest fix out there... Happy Growing :rocker:

I beat 'em in my perpetual grow. Here's how:
I set up a half dozen nontoxic sticky traps to catch the flying ones.
I put a layer of play sand on top of my coco coir mix.
New plants that came in came in planted in cloth pots with a layer of play sand on top of coco.
I continued to bottom feed and change out the sticky traps until there are no more gnats on them.

They're all gone, but I continue this as a preventative measure.

Slice potatoes thin,layer over the top of your grow medium once a week.it will pull larvae up and they will attach themselves to the potatoe:Namaste:.They are attracted to starch.It has worked for me.Also a soaking with azmax on foliage will kill and keep adults off leaves.:peace:

I Use grow stones and spread it out an inch thick on top of soil,with the combo of sticky traps,and soil drench(azmax)i do alright beating them up and preventing babies.:high-five:

Back
Top Bottom