Fungus Gnats?!

Bobblunt

I have recently started a grow and using Canna Terra Pro Plus soil, already I am seeing little gnats not loads but a couple crawling on the surface and flying about.

Somebody help! Best way to get rid of these critters??

I have recently started a grow and using Canna Terra Pro Plus soil, already I am seeing little gnats not loads but a couple crawling on the surface and flying about.

Somebody help! Best way to get rid of these critters??

Too much watering and these buggers appear, let soil dry out more before watering. Diatomatous Earth spread on top of soil just enough to cover lightly will eliminate any crawling insect by dehydrating them. Once it has sat a bit and soil has dried it can be watered into the soil with litttle consequences. I recommend you find food grade earth because the popular brand sold in most grow stores has 9?% unlisted 'inert" ingredients that rings a warning bell with me. I got mine at Tractor Supply, it's used in the horse bis as a wormer I beleive.

Hi boblunt Ive battled these mold bugs before.No worries get a small bowl and fill it half way with apple vinegar top it off with a few drops of dawn(dishwashing liquid) and watch them drowned themselves.They love it and so will you.Hope this helps you and your pocket book.:thumb:

I am using some stuff called Gnat Nix by Growstone. It is reasonably priced and works incredibly well. Very safe. I use this in conjunction with Sierra Natural Science 209. This has worked on a long term basis and kept them down,

Most good hydroponic shops will stock a product for pest control against fungus gnats.

How ever a layer of sand or perlite upon the surface soil of the pot helps also !

Fungus gnat larvae feed upon the young roots of new plants which can prove detrimental to plant health but a well established plant will more likely endure :thumb:

The larvae feed on the tender young roots of seedlings and can damage or kill them but usually have no significant impact on more developed healthy plants. The adults are mainly a nuisance but in my experience, making sure the soil dries out a bit between waterings can reduce their numbers..

The larvae feed on the tender young roots of seedlings and can damage or kill them but usually have no significant impact on more developed healthy plants. The adults are mainly a nuisance but in my experience, making sure the soil dries out a bit between waterings can reduce their numbers..

Nice share Colo, what's your opinion? Should I be concerned if I'm just seeing several of these in a healthy vegging girl, I've heard about soil drenching with organic treatments that protect roots and kill any larvae.

I'm not sure if I should treat or wait. I see a noticeable increase after feeding molasses and/or guano.

My girls never see dark, they are outside and in a tent after sunset,

I only see the gnats when outside, very few seen in my ghetto tent, thanks.:high-five:

The bad news is that you are never going to be rid of gnats when growing outside, the good news is that there is so many places outside all you really have to do is make your grow less gnat-friendly and they will simply go elsewhere. I like your idea of soil drenching, since I think you can get them to move if you make the soil inhospitable for their larvae. If you are uncomfortable with the number of gnats around your plants then by all means go ahead and treat now. When I had a minor fungus gnat problem with my first grow, which was more than likely due to over-watering, I did nothing special but let the pots dry out more between waterings and by the end of vegging there were none left that I could see.

Back
Top Bottom