Future grow room

WenworG

Well, it's apparent that it's time to grow bigger, my little tents can't hold what I would like to grow, which is the law in Illinois: 5 plants for medical card holder. Auto flowers are nice, but to have regular seeds and watch them grow. I will probably go hydroponics real soon and will have to move them to my room while I get this ready.

20220426_080418.jpg

20220426_080411.jpg

20220426_080407.jpg

20220426_080428.jpg

Room drawing.png

Hi neighbor, yes 5 is pain in the ass number. My room footprint is roughly the same size. I have rebuilt and reconfigured it several times. Pretty happy with my current setup.25% for veg, 50% for flower, 25% for supplies and sink. For me DWC grows faster healthy plants but every system has its advantages and drawbacks. Cover everything floor to celling in plastic. It will protect the house from the humidity and make it easier to control RH. You need constant air flow. How are you planning to heat/cool and vent the room? How ever you build it BE SAFE FIRST! Remember electricity, water, heat and flammables all in the next room while you sleep.

I separated my flower and veg areas so I can do a staggered started perpetual grow. I keep 3 plants in veg. one new clone/seedling, 4 week old plant, and an 8 week old plant. I take a cutting from the 8 week veg then move it to the flowering area. 4 weeks latter do it again so I have 5 plants 4 weeks apart. 4 weeks latter I harvest one plant (down to 4)then clone my 8 week veg and move her to the flower spot (back to 5).

It takes a week for a clone to become a plant or veg plant to become a flower. Most of my plants are 10 week flower so I am not actually on 4 weeks but math is easier and you get the concept.

Growing for 40 years and licensed general contractor so if you have any questions.

Hi neighbor, yes 5 is pain in the ass number. My room footprint is roughly the same size. I have rebuilt and reconfigured it several times. Pretty happy with my current setup.25% for veg, 50% for flower, 25% for supplies and sink. For me DWC grows faster healthy plants but every system has its advantages and drawbacks. Cover everything floor to celling in plastic. It will protect the house from the humidity and make it easier to control RH. You need constant air flow. How are you planning to heat/cool and vent the room? How ever you build it BE SAFE FIRST! Remember electricity, water, heat and flammables all in the next room while you sleep.

I separated my flower and veg areas so I can do a staggered started perpetual grow. I keep 3 plants in veg. one new clone/seedling, 4 week old plant, and an 8 week old plant. I take a cutting from the 8 week veg then move it to the flowering area. 4 weeks latter do it again so I have 5 plants 4 weeks apart. 4 weeks latter I harvest one plant (down to 4)then clone my 8 week veg and move her to the flower spot (back to 5).

It takes a week for a clone to become a plant or veg plant to become a flower. Most of my plants are 10 week flower so I am not actually on 4 weeks but math is easier and you get the concept.

Growing for 40 years and licensed general contractor so if you have any questions.
That ceiling in coming down, stripping is too difficult, venting out through the ceiling. Electric will another concern.

If that is plaster mud, not mortar stucco, it is not that hard to strip. Spray it with hot water repeatedly until it is saturated and softens. you can run a scraper between the plaster and drywall with almost no resistance if it is saturated. The thicker it is, the more times you have to spray it.

As for electrical. You add the actual peak watt draw from everything together that could be on at the same time. Keep in mind an advertised 1000W LED actually draws closer to 100W but everything's actual draw is always listed in the specs. Amp x volt = wats so take your total wats/120=amps. Your amp draw should only be roughly 80% of your breaker rating. Closer to 90% is ok but you want some margin of error wiggle room. At 80%-- up to 12 amp draw for 15 amp breaker, up to 16 amp draw for 20 amp breaker, 24 amp draw for 30 amp breaker. Don't forget to add any other rooms or appliances already on that breaker circuit.
If all of that passes then you have to calculate per outlet. Each outlet is only rated for 80% of 15amps(12 amp or 1500wats) total for both plugins. If the circuit only has a small 10 amp breaker then 8amps would be its' your limit.

If you get any of the math wrong up to this point the worst that will happen is you trip a breaker or have to replace an outlet because, simply put, you melted the internal fuse. Undersized extension cords are the real danger. Pulling 15 amps through a 5 amp extension cord will not trip any breakers but it will start a fire. You can run a 25 foot 14 gauged extension cord at up to 12amps. Any longer of a run you have to use 12 gauged extension cord.

Math and electricity. Two things most people don't want to mess with but they go hand in hand. Trust me, waking up in a house fire is much worse. Room mate plugged a space heater into an under rated extension cord.

If that is plaster mud, not mortar stucco, it is not that hard to strip. Spray it with hot water repeatedly until it is saturated and softens. you can run a scraper between the plaster and drywall with almost no resistance if it is saturated. The thicker it is, the more times you have to spray it.

As for electrical. You add the actual peak watt draw from everything together that could be on at the same time. Keep in mind an advertised 1000W LED actually draws closer to 100W but everything's actual draw is always listed in the specs. Amp x volt = wats so take your total wats/120=amps. Your amp draw should only be roughly 80% of your breaker rating. Closer to 90% is ok but you want some margin of error wiggle room. At 80%-- up to 12 amp draw for 15 amp breaker, up to 16 amp draw for 20 amp breaker, 24 amp draw for 30 amp breaker. Don't forget to add any other rooms or appliances already on that breaker circuit.
If all of that passes then you have to calculate per outlet. Each outlet is only rated for 80% of 15amps(12 amp or 1500wats) total for both plugins. If the circuit only has a small 10 amp breaker then 8amps would be its' your limit.

If you get any of the math wrong up to this point the worst that will happen is you trip a breaker or have to replace an outlet because, simply put, you melted the internal fuse. Undersized extension cords are the real danger. Pulling 15 amps through a 5 amp extension cord will not trip any breakers but it will start a fire. You can run a 25 foot 14 gauged extension cord at up to 12amps. Any longer of a run you have to use 12 gauged extension cord.

Math and electricity. Two things most people don't want to mess with but they go hand in hand. Trust me, waking up in a house fire is much worse. Room mate plugged a space heater into an under rated extension cord.
I am worried about the wiring and will have to have it check out before adding too much power, the old man is coming over to check that room, then run it down to the electrical box.

So, forget that for now, I'm having a hard time deciding paint or not...I have two grow tents up already, have things growing for now, even tomato plants growing in the 24" x 24" and I hope that Vivosun is a sponsor on here now otherwise I will delete the name but they have the Mylar and it is cheaper than buying the paint with prime to cover the brown wood but I could always pull it down.

Migrow did a comparison of reflector walls on you tube. Gloss white and mylar had the same PAR reflection value and both act as a moisture barrier. So the only real difference is price and durability. Mylar can be a pain to hang but painting the grooves in paneling is no fun either. You are going to need to cover the flooring to protect it from water spills. You can lay down a sheet of heavy plastic so it is water proof. Bring the plastic up the walls a few inches so you have a catch pan. Then get some cheap silver backed tarps to lay over it. The taps will protect the plastic and give you more reflection.

Migrow did a comparison of reflector walls on you tube. Gloss white and mylar had the same PAR reflection value and both act as a moisture barrier. So the only real difference is price and durability. Mylar can be a pain to hang but painting the grooves in paneling is no fun either. You are going to need to cover the flooring to protect it from water spills. You can lay down a sheet of heavy plastic so it is water proof. Bring the plastic up the walls a few inches so you have a catch pan. Then get some cheap silver backed tarps to lay over it. The taps will protect the plastic and give you more reflection.
I went ahead and bough Panda Film, covering the floor with it too. I got 10ft x 100ft from a garden nursery for $70.00, because they ordered by mistake. (That is a good idea, checking out the nurseries now for cheap and donated needs)

Super helpful information in your few posts here friend. Very very well explained

Karma sent

I went ahead and bough Panda Film, covering the floor with it too. I got 10ft x 100ft from a garden nursery for $70.00, because they ordered by mistake. (That is a good idea, checking out the nurseries now for cheap and donated needs)
Get to know the green houses and they will cut some amazing deals to make space. Years ago my son worked for the local collage hort department. They ordered five 50lb bags of coco coir and four 50lb bags of vermiculite for a project. Whoever placed the order accidentally placed it for 500lb pallets instead of bags. Got 100lb of vermiculite and 200lbs of coco for a $20 donation to the school.

The only suggestion i could make is that the upper part of the veg room is perfect for shelves near all the way around. One can store a lotto stuff there

Little shelves down liwer within reach and bigger shelves above for other stuff

Get to know the green houses and they will cut some amazing deals to make space. Years ago my son worked for the local collage hort department. They ordered five 50lb bags of coco coir and four 50lb bags of vermiculite for a project. Whoever placed the order accidentally placed it for 500lb pallets instead of bags. Got 100lb of vermiculite and 200lbs of coco for a $20 donation to the school.
WOW! They have plenty to spare to donate. Now a days we need more good humans in the world and more with Green Thumbs, even if we are learning. (Sorry, it's 530 am and I'm waiting on the coffee and smoked a bowl) So anyway....Absolutely will get to know them and help them to get some good deals, best time is when it's raining and the truck comes in lol

The only suggestion i could make is that the upper part of the veg room is perfect for shelves near all the way around. One can store a lotto stuff there

Little shelves down liwer within reach and bigger shelves above for other stuff
I can tell you that it will be changed over and over and again but for the shelves there will be. Illinois law says 5 plants, nothing else about germination or seedlings not even vegetative, so veggie room, yes, thank you!

Illinois law says 5 plants, nothing else about germination or seedlings not even vegetative, so veggie room
Unless they amended it, It states 5 plants. The state defines a plant as having leaves stem and roots. So anything from germination to harvest counts. Clone cuttings are not a plant until they root. Until you separate the root from the stem to dry, it is a plant. They could argue having roots in the trash and a plant harvest hanging still counts as having 1 plant. I shred and compost my roots at harvest.

There is a whole scale of fines and felony time for how many plants you have. I don't know if they count a card holders 6th plant as 1 illegal plant or if they go by the total plants on there scale.
legally grow up to 5 plants with medical card
up to 5 plants without card is civil citation for growing a "noxious weed" up to a $250 ticket
6 to 10 plants jumps to a felony up to 5 years

I prefer to just stay at 5 and not deal with defending myself against the state. Already went to court for the noxious weed citation. I planted cork screw weeping willow bushes in my yard. County inspector had never seen the plant before so he cited me. Two days in court, charges dropped, $200 in court cost. With 5 slow sativas staggered start I can harvest and clone once every month. Even if you only get a half pound (226g)per plant, that is 2 oz (57g) a week. If that isn't enough you need new genetics.

Unless they amended it, It states 5 plants. The state defines a plant as having leaves stem and roots. So anything from germination to harvest counts. Clone cuttings are not a plant until they root. Until you separate the root from the stem to dry, it is a plant. They could argue having roots in the trash and a plant harvest hanging still counts as having 1 plant. I shred and compost my roots at harvest.

There is a whole scale of fines and felony time for how many plants you have. I don't know if they count a card holders 6th plant as 1 illegal plant or if they go by the total plants on there scale.
legally grow up to 5 plants with medical card
up to 5 plants without card is civil citation for growing a "noxious weed" up to a $250 ticket
6 to 10 plants jumps to a felony up to 5 years

I prefer to just stay at 5 and not deal with defending myself against the state. Already went to court for the noxious weed citation. I planted cork screw weeping willow bushes in my yard. County inspector had never seen the plant before so he cited me. Two days in court, charges dropped, $200 in court cost. With 5 slow sativas staggered start I can harvest and clone once every month. Even if you only get a half pound (226g)per plant, that is 2 oz (57g) a week. If that isn't enough you need new genetics.
Oh I'm not playing with any law mine is 5 and 5 period, not a thought of going over, not even buying seeds is a thought. I have a medical card, it's a blessing.

I am worried about the wiring and will have to have it check out before adding too much power, the old man is coming over to check that room, then run it down to the electrical box.

So, forget that for now, I'm having a hard time deciding paint or not...I have two grow tents up already, have things growing for now, even tomato plants growing in the 24" x 24" and I hope that Vivosun is a sponsor on here now otherwise I will delete the name but they have the Mylar and it is cheaper than buying the paint with prime to cover the brown wood but I could always pull it down.
We are a sponsor here :)

The film will be used all around the room, for the door, I will have to buy a trustworthy door zipper to keep the light out. (Does any sponsors have a good zipper for a door?) This will be a while I have plants right now 1 unsponsored seed company and 1 that is unknown looks sativa. I need to have the electric checked out, not going to have too much power, I would like 3 regular plants and a veg place buy the windows (love to have that zipped up) the fans set up in the corner of the room.

I do have (2) two closets in the other corners of the room for storage area and I have to update the lock to a fingerprint pass code lol but I do need a new lock on the door. Something like this...I am the world's greatest artist lol

20220507_074633.jpg

Back
Top Bottom