Future Hazy For Hayward Pot Club

Cozmo

The city's last surviving medical marijuana dispensary is still in business, but city officials say the agreement that allows it to operate has expired.

What happens next is unclear. Acting City Manager Fran David said Thursday that her staff "is taking a look at options."

Tom Lemos, the owner of downtown's Hayward Patients Resource Center, was supposed to find a new home for the Foothill Boulevard pot club before the first of this year.

That was after city administrators and the Hayward City Council made clear that they no longer wanted any marijuana clinics operating in the downtown area. Officials have said they are banking on an upcoming cinema project transforming B Street into a more family-friendly entertainment district where pot clubs would no longer be an appropriate land use.

But in December, as the club's three-year agreement was set to expire, the council gave Lemos an extra three months to shut down and find a new place to operate somewhere else — anyplace but downtown.

When that extension approached its expiration date, and Lemos still hadn't settled on a new location, the council voted 5-2 on April 3 to allow Lemos another 90-day extension to operate.

Mayor Mike Sweeney, who voted with Councilman Bill Ward against the April extension, said he remains doubtful the owners can find a new place to operate that won't bother nearby residents.

"As I said in April, I'm veryskeptical that they'll be able to find a location where folks in the neighborhood won't object to the use," Sweeney said.

The last time Lemos proposed to relocate, it was to a house on northern Foothill Boulevard across from a Taco Bell restaurant. Once the plan became public, it caused a neighborhood outcry there, and Lemos was advised by city officials to drop it. This time, clinic operators won't say where or if they want to move.

Lemos did not return calls for comment this week.

"He's saying 'No comment' to The Daily Review," said Emily Andrade, the clinic's assistant manager. "That's what I'm supposed to say."

News Mod: CoZmO - 420 Magazine
Source: InsideBayArea.com
Author: Matt O'Brien
Copyright: 2007 ANG Newspapers

Just get out of town.. downtown. I wonder what the hold-up is?

Mr. Lemos is a great guy who operates an excellent club. He is still in business, even though a large club just a block away was closed several months ago. His club really seems to cater to patients in a compassionate way, and employees are educated in their recommendations for that particular person and their needs.

Another club was located in the same area, but in an area where their wasn't so much hoopla going on. I hope he can find another place nearby. This is the closest club to the SJ area, and will mean a much longer ride for those who really need their meds if he is forced out of business in Hayward.

Best of luck, Mr. Lemos. I support you all the way.

Peace and happiness

Back
Top Bottom