Future Of Legalized Marijuana In Indiana Uncertain

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Lawmakers didn't say whether they will proceed with legislation to legalize marijuana after advocates for such law dominated a four-hour Statehouse hearing last week.

Sen. Karen Tallian, D-Portage, who proposed a study of the issue this year, told the Criminal Law and Sentencing Policy Committee that she had no agenda other than to "start talking about this."

She said the idea for the study came from her "experience sitting in court as an attorney" and "looking at young kids pleading to minor possession charges."

"I said to myself, 'Why are we doing this? We need to fix this,'" Tallian said.

Currently, Indiana law dictates that marijuana possession is a felony unless it is a first-time offense and the amount of marijuana is less than one ounce.

Tallian and advocates of legalizing marijuana said the law could use some reform. But the senator did not make specific suggestions about how the law should be changed.

Only one person testified briefly against possible reforms, arguing that marijuana, along with alcohol and cigarettes, serves as a gateway drug to more harmful drugs like cocaine and heroin.

But Dan Abrahamson, director of legal affairs for Drug Policy Alliance, an organization based in New York, dismissed that argument.

Abrahamson said studies show the decriminalization of marijuana does not increase its use among young people and that drug use in states where marijuana use is legal is less or comparable to other states.

Abrahamson said no state has gone back on its decision to legalize marijuana.

"Marijuana has not yet been recriminalized in any state," he said.

Abrahamson said Indiana faces little to no risk of federal intervention if state legislators choose to decriminalize marijuana.

"There is nothing in the United States Constitution that requires Indiana to criminalize anything under its state law," Abrahamson said.

"If Indiana decides to lessen state penalties for marijuana-related offenses or to abolish certain marijuana offenses altogether, or to legalize marijuana, just for medical purposes, this committee may do so, today," Abrahamson said.

Abrahamson also said the state could benefit from the decision to legalize marijuana, even more so if legislators then choose to set up a distribution system for medical marijuana to bring in tax revenue.

He estimated that Indiana could raise as much as $44 million annually through sales tax alone if it taxes and regulated marijuana distributions.

Noah Mamber, legislative analyst for the Marijuana Policy Project, a pro-legalization group based in Washington D.C., agreed.

Mamber called marijuana prohibition a "colossal waste of public resources and human lives ruined by arrest and incarceration."

"Marijuana prohibition simply does not work," he said.

Mamber said legalizing marijuana would not only bring in tax revenue but also save law enforcement an estimated $148.8 million annually.

"Ending prohibition would save millions and allow police to focus on investigating violent crimes instead," he said.

mmj.jpeg

NewsHawk: Jim Behr: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Evansville Courier & Press (IN)
Copyright: 2011 The Evansville Courier Company
Details: MapInc
Author: Megan Banta

Police don't want to investigate violent crime when there are peaceful potheads to rob and arrest.

Police don't want to investigate violent crime when there are peaceful potheads to rob and arrest.

I don't know why, but I don't know if I ever looked at it that way... "Potheads" would be a safer bust. Dealing with all those violent offenders has gotta be scary! Then again, that is their job to deal with it...
I've had good luck in Hawaii in my encounters with police. They have been understanding of the whole mmj thing. Heck, I know people who have been "let go" without medical need with a pretty large supply! Always freaked me out though, I would not say its let go all the time in Hawaii. I mean, the laws there are technically more strict than the laws here in South Carolina! At the same time.. From what I have heard here, you aren't "let go" for any amount in these parts.

Great news for Indiana! Very good news!:yahoo:

Back
Top Bottom