Fuzi's First Grow - May 2012

fuzi

ok, as the title states i have recently started my first grow and since it was the knowledge on these forums that finally gave me the initiative to grow i figured i should make a journal.

my setup is as follows:

secret jardin dr60

1x lighthouse ufo led ( 125 watt)

2x cfl (45 watt)

1x cfl ( 125 watt) * being shipped not installed yet

6 in fan and carbon filter * may take up to much space, has me thinking of ordering a 4in fan/filter solution.

three plants...

1x master kush (clone)

1x la confidential (clone)

1x mystery og* (bag seed) is mystery cause its a bag seed but i mostly smoke og, odds are its some og hybrid.

the 2 clones are in 1 gallon smart pots and the bag seed is in a smaller pot.

they are 2 weeks old

just switched them from there germinating/seedling rockwool into the larger pots yesterday.

about to start them on "foxfarms big bloom"

the only trouble i have had so far is small white flies that seemed to come with the soil. I ordered SNS 203 Pesticide Concentrate, will show up soon and hopefully deal with the flies with out harming my plants.

11897.jpg

the tips on the lower leafs of the la con clone pictured above were burnt when i got it, the new leafs seem fine but i am starting to get some white spotting (pictured above) im not sure if that is a result of the white flies or the start of a potassium deficiency.

any advice you more experienced grows might have is appreciated..
will try to do at least one update a week.

Re: Fuzi's first grow may/2012

update: 6/9/2012
-1 week into veg-

The three plants are doing well after there first week of veg with nutrients. so well in fact that i went and picked up two more clones.
one is a super sour diesel and the other is a purple kush. after looking at other peoples grows i get the impression that the 3 gallon pot is kinda the standard. my plants are currently in 1 gallon but i was thinking of switching to 3 gallon at the end of veg. The big cfl i ordered came in, 125 watt full spectrum. I currently have it hanging vertically which is not optimal but making due for now. I also went ahead and ordered the 4in fan and filter so i can switch out this 6in fan and filter that just takes up to much room in my dr60 tent.
The organic pesticide i ordered cleared up my little black fly problem. one or two persist but much improved.

21458.JPG

-update- 7/3 -

ok it has been a month and a half growing and i am loving it.

my first three plants are doing well. the one that was from seed started to look like a hermy so it has been exiled to a short life on the balcony until i bother to go out and kill it. i do not want to risk pollen finding its way inside and somehow into the tents so it must die.

one last look at the hermy before exile...

31305.jpg

and a look at its first nutz..

4967.jpg

so after reading through these forums i decided i wanted to expand my grow towards a perpetual system. Here is my plan as it is so far...

5756.jpg

6660.jpg

i ordered some reserva privata skywalker og seeds that i plan to grow a mother and clone. Ideally i will have six flowering plants offset in groups of two, staggered by two maybe three weeks.

My grow as it stands so far,

( in flower )
-la confidential-started flower on 6/21
-master kush-started flower on 6/21

7569.jpg

they both are budding nicely and i will get some nice shots in good lighting in coming days.

-super sour diesel-started flower on 7/2
-purple kush-started flower on 7/2

These two are each about 12" and just went into flower. Excited to see how they bud as they really grew aggressively in veg.

8443.jpg

I took some trimmings from the la con, mk, pk and made some clones.we will see how they root (practice cloning so i have it down when skywalker comes around). Planted two pr skywalker og seeds in rockwool and one pr northern light blue seed. The stronger skywalker will end up as the mother and the other will go threw to flower. all seeds were feminized.

I do not have any deficiency's currently. The only problem i am having is with the fungus gnats, i used a sierra product which did not totally clear them up and did not want to give my plants prolonged exposure to a pesticide organic or otherwise. i ended up using the plastic tops off the pot containers that i get from dispensaries filled with vegetable oil. a saucer of veg oil seems to attract all the gnats and they drown when they try to drink it. it hasn't killed 100% of them but it keeps there numbers super low.

Your set-up is very nice.. In the 3rd picture when you very first posted I do see a deficiency.. See the edges of the leafs they have those yellow tips, has that gone away?

yes it has, the yellow tips are a result of stressed clones. when i get them from the dispensary there lower leaves are usually rather yellow but as they go threw veg non of that has persisted.

if anyone else has other remedy's for the fungus gnats please let me know.. my traps work well but dont seem to be enough to wipe them out completely.

well i got a larvacide from my local hydro shop to stop the gnats from reproducing in my soil. but whether it works or not it doesn't seem like it is going to matter since i have noticed a new infestation. what ever it is looks like little maggots on the leafs. i do not think they are spider mites. as my main plants are half way through flower i think there fucked. i am super disappointed and don't know whether to ride it out or just kill my plants now and start from scratch. either way i am pretty bummed as my la confidential and master kush plants are covered in snowy buds.

Hey Fuzi!!!! first off I would like to say very very nice job on your journal, your research and your grow!!! I love to see people that do the research first, get what they need, and hit it right the 1st time!!! and so far it looks like your on track for a really nice success!!!

About your fungus gnats.... in soil grows they just seem to love to attack the soil... I have found a few products pretty effective.

First... get some yellow sticky cards.... place them everywhere inside your tent, mostly in the places it is dark and shady.... fungus gnats are not strong fliers and tend to land on dark surfaces to rest... the sticky cards will catch the adults before they can lay eggs...

2nd... pick up some mosquito dunks... you can find them at most hardware stores.... this is a bacteria that kills the gnat larvae.... crush up 1/2 to 1 full dunk in your feedings and use these every other watering ..... it will keep the population down to a manageable level...

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom