FuzzyGreen's Two Chamber Closet Grow - Perpetual?

FuzzyGreen

Hello everyone, I've got to say it's been a few years since I have been logging on regularly... but with the recent voting in Massachusetts and my living relocation I have the ability to grow for myself again! So I bring to you what I have spent some time putting together...

What strain(s) is it?
4 unknown bagseeds (Week 2 of life)
3 Mega Lemonista (germ date 12/12)
2 Purple Widow (germ date 12/12)
4 Brasil x KC (germ date 12/12)

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
Veg

If in Veg... For how long?
4- 2 week+ bagseeds, started at a companion location
7- freshly germinated in paper towels... folded and placed in labeled zip-locks

Indoor or outdoor?
Indoor, closet space

Soil or Hydro?
Soil

If soil... what is in your mix?
Promix HP+... nothing for now

If soil... What size pot?
Starters
to
Solo cups
to
2.5gal cloth pots... realized I may have to clarify I wouldn't be leaving them in cups

Size of light?
Upper tent, eventually for flowering plants only
2x 300w (136 running?)
Lower chamber, currently grow storage and won't be pictured in this post
250w 6400k CFL in a 'hippy reflector'

Is it aircooled?
190cfm fan draws air from the low door gap passively to the back of the lowest shelf where a friend of mine jig-sawed openings. There is a 4in connector joining the lower cab to the upper, ducted into the left side of the tent. It is drawn out of the upper right of the tent, through the fan and pushed through a carbon filter.

Temp of Room/cab?
67-78 F

PH?
Well water, even 7 I am not PHing the nutrients

Any Pests?
Not yet, I've delt with fungus gnats and spider mites in the past. Hoping for the best as always.

How often are you watering?
The bagseeds were fed for their first time, after slight neglect (very new to growing) at my partners house this past Sunday under my supervision using GO nutes.

Type and strength of ferts used?
The full General Organics line, to their schedule. Haven't grown any of these before. Attempted the widows but had complete germination failure, I believe it was due to my poor storage practices.

Now... FINALLY here is my upper space, as stated at the top I'll have a picture of the entire setup once the lower is no longer simply storage.

VZM_IMG_20161212_175651.jpg

Here is the entire space now that I'm home from work...

The upper tent is:
36" tall,
30" wide,
18" deep

The lower shares the dimensions of my closet
41" wide
22" deep
36"+ tall

I've labeled where the hole is for the 4" duct starter sleeve.
Any input, questions, anything at all are welcome. This is something pretty new for me and I need to stay humble...

Fullcloset.jpg

Here's some work from tonight...

Roots from one of the bagseed transplants
Roots127.jpg

Watering through on a fresh transplant
Drip2.jpg

Top tent view with one LED off
Toptent.jpg

A view of the top and bottom, with a better shot of the drip area...
Fullview2.jpg

Not sure what kind of interest my grow will grab but I'm looking forward to any and all input...

best karma sent friend,, the only other two tier grow room in the world,, i happen to own the other,, haha

those plants gonna fill that tent up to overflowing, oh ya,, solo cups. ha

P1160690.JPG

a bunch a folks on here had a funky solo cup grow a while back,, some folks, the best growers, got a couple ounces on one plant,, amazing stuff

cheers to ya,, keep that cfl close,, use yer hand to test closeness,, warm is good,,

P1160568.JPG

i just like to post this pic to show how close one can put even the smallest of plants,, your bulbs are bigger, will require adjustments indeed

cheers friend,,

promix,, does that have built in nutes?? can be quite harmful for the wee ones,, see it so often,, no nutes at all for near three weeks is seemingly the recommended dosage,,

my first journal documents the build of my two tier 'flower room',, my veg room is separate, tho tiny still,,

Hey nivek thanks for joining! I just edited my post to reflect my goals a little more... I'm going to use 8x 2.5gal pots in the upper. I have some other pots for mother plants when they've been established that will stay in the bottom. It'll be easier to explain when there's something to take a picture of... but if you could see all the notes, plans, and crazy diagrams I've drawn and drafted... it'll be easier to explain. I'm going to head over your way and check out your grow! For this journal... I'm hoping the rides not too bumpy haha

For promix... it's peat moss, perlite, dolomite, a wetting agent, and is pre inoculated with mycorrhizae

Here are the 4 young ones I have now.

Tonight I decided to snip off the leaves that were curling inward and touching the soil... these were like this showing potential signs of ca/mg deficiency when I had picked them up.

The thought process that led to ca/mg was the splotching on the leaves and the leave's stems affected were red. Not to mention my partner (along with his sister grow starting) wasn't entirely aware this medium is basically devoid of nutrients.

I'm hoping for the best, this was 2 days of shock in a row... between transplanting last night and today's trimming.

Now here's the kids...

Trimmed_20161214225426105.jpg

Hopefully I'll have tap roots on a few of the seeds I germinated tomorrow as well!

Still hoping for the best but these 4 are practice. Practice... hopefully leads to improvement. Sending good vibes to anyone who reads through, this is as much a public journal as it is a digital log for me! Happy growing to everyone...

Not too much of a condition update on the presumably underfed/overwatered plants pictured above.
Just been letting them have a chance at a full dry out... despite the lack of upward growth there is some internodle growth so I have hope!

The better of the news...
12/16- 3 of 3 Mega Lemonistas popped!

One had a large healthy tap root, I labeled it as the first of the 3 to crack.

MegaLemonista.jpg

Other seeds in my list are open, but I'm giving them more time.

Welcome back to growing and journaling. Sweet use of space man. Very nice. Love watching the babies pop. One of my favorite parts of growing.

I also am under similar conditions with a tent and then the other tent is my yard to flower lol. Best wishes on the new grow and hope the kids perk up after you caught the def. but to me it looks like over water. However you just transplanted so shouldn't be over water.

You said it right about practice. Take notes, journal and plan for the future. I'm dialing in my soil for this run (my first journal) so that I can get ready for a big outdoor season next year.

Will be subbing and feel free to drop by and see all the mistakes I'm making lol.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I'll be sure to check in dubnation! Thanks for stopping by.
This is my winter setup, the rest of the house is being worked on so I had to keep it where I sleep yaknow? I like the idea of the outdoor flower, if we get a warm week around here we'll be digging out my garden out back. Cold sink in the middle, retired wood stove for year round heat. I'll have to see what you've got going on now, happy growing sending positive vibes your way!!

12/18- 4 Brasil x KC planted in pre-wet solo cups

BrasilxKC.jpg

Upper space is filling with starters... hopefully ones a mother in there!

Fullspace1.jpg

Now for the bagseeds... pictured below are a few issues. This plant has the least growth, the others have some... if people have any advice here are my symptoms

-Healthy feeling (not looking) leaves that droop down
-Few minor spots on the leaves, rust colored with hard edges (could have dripped a little water during lights on its a guess for me)
-SLOW growth, since picking these things up and transplanting them there hasn't been much of a change
-Woody stem, unusual for such a young one
-Purplish main stem, leaf stems look redish purple

Bagseed10.jpg

Looks like overwater. What's your water schedule? Not sure about rust spots this early in the Grow. She needs only 1/4 - 1/2 strength nutes for the first month.

So I picked these up last week and transplanted them a day later while they were showing over watering symptoms. The roots pictured in a previous post show how they were starting to wind on the bottom, but far from root bound... they've been like this for a week. I've been letting them dry, and just checked now the soil is dry for 2 1/4 inches down the still cool and damp from there. That's from the day I transplanted them and watered them in... my partner running the sister grow told me he watered them everyday... same soil mix, brand of light

So these bagseeds still aren't looking the greatest...

Deficiency21.jpg

I'm just not sure, potassium problem with all that purpling? The leaf surface is purple, the veins in the centers of the leaf are red... the main stem is purplish... yellowing of the new growth? I'm still letting them dry out but maybe they're dry enough and ready for a lighter feeding... looking for advice. Maybe pursue a 1/4 to 1/2 strength feed?

Deficiency8.jpg

In better news the 3 feminized Mega Lemonistas are growing super uniform

Lemonista2.jpg

Heya friend,, so dependant, these,wee things,, karma sent for them

Couple things,, unfortunately, I have no real clue about the problems the plants are encountering,, sure does look like overwatered,, so hard to tell. Personally, I would watch very closely while these plants dried out so much thsy droop,, and then start over with a watering schedule that allows drying out between waterings. A bit of limp plants being too dry is ok, just a bit tho

The woody stem I would say is normal,, if one follows a sprouts progress, one will see the stalk shed its baby skin at about two weeks old and then the stalk becomes near instantly woody, presto nearly

How bout too cold in there, at night maybe??? Purlple can be a sign of cold,, it is something that happens to some plants outdoors as the temps fall,, some plants are purple from the get go.

Really check the watering,, looks so much like that is the problem,, cheers friend

Heya friend,, so dependant, these,wee things,, karma sent for them

Couple things,, unfortunately, I have no real clue about the problems the plants are encountering,, sure does look like overwatered,, so hard to tell. Personally, I would watch very closely while these plants dried out so much thsy droop,, and then start over with a watering schedule that allows drying out between waterings. A bit of limp plants being too dry is ok, just a bit tho

The woody stem I would say is normal,, if one follows a sprouts progress, one will see the stalk shed its baby skin at about two weeks old and then the stalk becomes near instantly woody, presto nearly

How bout too cold in there, at night maybe??? Purlple can be a sign of cold,, it is something that happens to some plants outdoors as the temps fall,, some plants are purple from the get go.

Really check the watering,, looks so much like that is the problem,, cheers friend
They're in a main room of the house, lots of radiant heat. Would have to say the lowest my house will be set to is about 68 this winter. So I'm not thinking it's that, I'll continue to let them dry out and hope they can breathe better soon. I poked deep finger sized holes into the promix last night... so I'm glad I didn't water before I heard from someone! Thanks for chiming in happy growing nivek!

My two cents would be they are hungry for nutes as well as possible over water. I let my pots get super light. To the point it feels nearly empty to lift. That's how I test if they are thirsty or not. Don't go by a schedule since they feed differently at all stages of growth and environmental conditions no matter how well you control it. The lift test is my go to. Lift a pot with unwatered soil in it to get a feel for it. Once the pots feel nearly that light again then water. And only water on the edges of the pot and try not to hit the center as much.

Regarding nutes. At this early stage all I have them were EWC, Guano (high N), and coconut water. That's enough and shouldn't burn your babies. Also use some silicia to help them build strong stems.

Congrats on new babies!

My two cents would be they are hungry for nutes as well as possible over water. I let my pots get super light. To the point it feels nearly empty to lift. That's how I test if they are thirsty or not. Don't go by a schedule since they feed differently at all stages of growth and environmental conditions no matter how well you control it. The lift test is my go to. Lift a pot with unwatered soil in it to get a feel for it. Once the pots feel nearly that light again then water. And only water on the edges of the pot and try not to hit the center as much.

Regarding nutes. At this early stage all I have them were EWC, Guano (high N), and coconut water. That's enough and shouldn't burn your babies. Also use some silicia to help them build strong stems.

Congrats on new babies!

Hey dubnation! Thanks I'm gonna test that tonight, they were feeling light but not as light as the bagged promix... that's for sure. I'll give them more time to dry and report back here!

Now for a follow up question I've got for your thoughts on feeding... I don't have any of that at my immediate disposal. Trip to the hydro store and garden center could change that... but I'm using the full General Organics line up. Should I just start with a 1/4 strength mix using there list instead?

I don't use those but from what I understand your first feed should be 1/4. Then observe and adjust accordingly.

Also for quicker nute uptake you can make some for foliar application. See if your current nutes can be.

100% pure coconut can be purchased at a grocery store. Just make sure it's pure and not from concentrate or has sugars. Dilute and feed as often as you want. Early stage is very good as it promotes growth hormones.

I don't use those but from what I understand your first feed should be 1/4. Then observe and adjust accordingly.

Also for quicker nute uptake you can make some for foliar application. See if your current nutes can be.

100% pure coconut can be purchased at a grocery store. Just make sure it's pure and not from concentrate or has sugars. Dilute and feed as often as you want. Early stage is very good as it promotes growth hormones.

Thankyou for the tip so I have an update that adds to my suspicion... my well water is too based.
My town is sitting on limestone, so most of the wells around here come out at 8+ph. I read on my nutes you don't have to ph if you have hard water but this is far too high. No wonder I'm getting symptoms of no P it's the first essential nute you lose going high up. I ignored what I already knew because I thought these were buffered nutes. Today is most likely a gentle feeding with PH'ed water. All I really use is the those fluid drop shake tests, and I've been golden. Time to put this to the test and hope for the best!
I knew it was ph because now my seedling, my very young seedlings, are exhibiting the same signs. So PH it so I don't lose any of my new children!

Excellent troubleshooting. Should have mentioned keeping track of pH. I also use the liquid drops to adjust. Works just fine imo.

Plants were fed with 1/4 strength PHd nutes right between the 6 or 6.5 yellow color. Check run off on all 4 and looked the same! So it's good news until I have a picture update... hope they show speedy improvement!

Back
Top Bottom