Gabapentin

My wife takes it all the time for a dysfunctional esophagus and to control migraines. It took a bit to get used to. But it had no effects in regards to smoking marijuana. In fact marijuana helped her to eat and helped with the stress. In the end that medicine has helped her in a big way for health wise. But it is also something she has to stay on permanently for her situation. Hope that helps.

I was recently diagnosed with depression, severe anxiety / agoraphobia, and borderline traits. The doctor wants me to take Gabapentin for anxiety, but it also says that it will affect my marijuana cravings. Does anyone have any experience with this drug and how it affected them?.

Made my son suicidal, depressed, severe emotional breakdown etc etc etc.... It was given to him for migraines.... He was feeling depressed before and it made it all sooo much worse.... I took it for my back, didnt help... Gabapentin is for nerve pain, I would never ever take that for or with depression after seeing what it did to my kid.... I got him his Med card and he is much better, can manage daily life much better.

I was recently diagnosed with depression, severe anxiety / agoraphobia, and borderline traits. The doctor wants me to take Gabapentin for anxiety, but it also says that it will affect my marijuana cravings. Does anyone have any experience with this drug and how it affected them?.
Look into Gaba and how it rewires your brain in ways that cannot be reversed i would suggest you not take it its poison.It should only be prescribed for those terminally ill of in sever conditions where addiction is an acceptable side effect.Once you begin gabapentin your on it for life withdrawal can and is a lethal situation.

Lethal gaba withdrawal..PNG

Dealing with epilepsy for 10 years, gabapentin was part of the mix in my regiment to be seizure free. There were several meds I took along the way that have made me feel terrible, but gabapentin didn't bother me. But, that's as long as I'm taking it...

After being seizure free for 7 years now, I have stopped taking several meds, and ready to work on the next. Talking with the neurologist, we made a decision to try and ween off gabapentin. I was slowly tapering off, and 60 days into tapering I didn't realize that I was becoming extremely sad and confused. I walked into the doctor's office and waited. When he walked in he looked at me and asked "what's wrong"? I broke out in tears and put my head in my lap and my response was "I have no idea." After more discussion the decision was made to go back to the original dosage. It's a fine dance with meds, but I had to try. So this one stays on the list. I have used mmj daily for decades (yikes) and I don't seem to be affected using the two together. Just another part of the daily regiment.

We all have different journeys, and gabapentin is prescribed for many different issues. This is my story in regards to gabapentin, and thanks for sharing yours.
:peace:

Made my son suicidal, depressed, severe emotional breakdown etc etc etc.... It was given to him for migraines.... He was feeling depressed before and it made it all sooo much worse.... I took it for my back, didnt help... Gabapentin is for nerve pain, I would never ever take that for or with depression after seeing what it did to my kid.... I got him his Med card and he is much better, can manage daily life much better.

Dont use this shit, causes you not to focus clearly, wandering mind, dangerous effects, I have siatic nerve pain down both legs caused from soriatic arthritis in my lower back, inflammation in lower discs that pinch my nerves, they gave me that to help with the hot and cold stabbing rod all the way down to my ankles. After about a week i was angry enough to go postal on someone ass.. stay away from that..just smoke a joint.

Hello , i was on it for a year for the neuropathy in my feet from my diabetes, it did very little to help with the severe pain i was experiencing , woke up one day pissing blood , thats when i said fuck this , stopped taking gabba and my pills and insulin, i just lost some weight , focused a lot more on my diet , and have been smoking weed every night to help me with the sleep issue i was having at night , i was able to bear the pain during the day but could not get to sleep at night , i thought my wife was gonna divorce me for keeping her up every night walking around , thank god for the herb , i now can get a good solid 6 hrs of unbroken sleep , i believe the gabba was very hard on my kidneys as i was taking 2000mg a day . As far as i am concerned this is just as bad for you as all the opioids the doctors have recommended and got people hooked on oxycodone , percocet , i feel thc and cbd are a better alternative , but just my 2 cents .

Hey Scott , besure to have your kidneys tested twice a year on that shit , if you find you are having problems pissing be sure to tell your doctor , i guarantee its the gabba .

next time ask your doctor how much he gets paid for each prescription he or she writes and also how much he gets every time you go and get a refill , and every pharm company pays more or less depending on the drug , this is the reason doctors don't recommend generic brand of prescriptions it digs deep in to their already fat wallets, - no one ever said you had to smoke weed ,their are oils , edibles etc , not so much different than popping a pill with out the side effects, man kind has been enjoying the use of cannabis's since the dawn of ages , how long do the drug companies do their trial studies on theses drugs before some one gets their pockets filled with a shit ton of money before the ok is given.

Back in 2013, at the age of 41, I had a sudden heart attack, that involved collapsing, and bouncing off of a coffee table. I didn't go through it like in the movies, I literally bounced of it, according to my wife who was standing right there (thank god).

Anyway, after dealing with the heart attack (2 weeks in ICU), they did an MRI and found that 2 disks slipped out and were up against the nerve roots. Because I had 3 stents put in (which are coated with a blood thinner) and because I had to take Plavix (another blood thinner) for a year after the procedure, nobody would operate to relieve the pressure from the disks. I couldn't, and never will be able to take NSAIDs due to the heart issues, so I was stuck in a shitty place. I was in massive pain, laying in bed in the fetal position all day and night, every day. After a couple of months, I couldn't take it anymore so I went to a neurologist. He prescribed morphine and gabapentin. The plan was to do that for a year until I was off of the blood thinners, and ready to have an operation.

The morphine made my skin crawl after 4 days, so I tossed that. The gabapentin made me feel totally drunk all the time. I had trouble gauging sense of depth. When I walked, I couldn't tell when my foot would hit the ground. When reaching for something, I would either knock it over thinking I my hand wasn't there yet, or grasp at air thinking my hand was there but it wasn't. I was on 1800mg/day of gabapentin. Before starting it, I was already prescribed Ativan to deal with massive anxiety. I kept thinking I was going to die again, and it was tough to deal with. The Ativan caused sexual side effects and also made me depressed. I stopped taking that 2 months in, and switched to MMJ. I feel that between the MMJ and the Gabapentin, I was in as good a place as I could be. Otherwise, I couldn't get out of bed due to the pain.

Finally at my 1 year checkup, everything with my heart was fine, so they took me off the Plavix. I wound up having a microdiscectomy, which got rid of the pain. I was then weened off of the gabapentin over the course of 3 weeks. I didn't feel any adverse effects. I was using MMJ through the weening process at the advice of the doctor. He didn't want me dropping too many things at once.

I still have the anxiety, they've actually since labeled it PTSD from the whole dropping dead thing. That probably won't go away, but I feel I am ok at this point managing it.

So for me, I didn't have any issues doing gabapentin and MMJ at the same time. One without the other wasn't working well at all.

I haven't taken a single capsule of gabapentin since I read this thread. I decided to look into it more and It is as nasty as you all said it was. Screw that shit! I doubled down on the smoke and I haven't had any negative withdrawal affects. Seizures are what I was afraid of most. The drug can trigger them by starting it or by going off of it. I had some seizures when I was five. The Docs never did figure out what caused them and they stopped on their own, but they were not pleasant. The foot pain has really ramped back up without the gabapentin, but I'll look into another means of treatment for that. My anger has really begun to curb significantly as well. It was to the point that It was causing some strain at home. I dont think I'll be taking any more meds without looking into them a bit first. Its crazy to think that shit was hurting my family.

Back
Top Bottom