Gaffles Perpetually Positive Adventures with Growing

Thx Dean!

Cutting is done. Some are dryer than others so tomorrow I'll get those bottled up. I have mostly gone with snappy stems to know when drying is done. Once in awhile I'll cut off buds with bendy stems if said buds feel ready. Just depends.

Obviously I dry in my flower tent. I like some lights on to help chill chlorophyll, and they aren't in there long. Flowering girls have 5 to 6 weeks left. Holy happy Thanksgiving! Girls were watered before this pic.

Here is my exact soil jazz. I made a cheat sheet from a version of Subcools (rip) super soil. This is one used by Jinxproof that I have slightly modified. For my space I only mix the 1/4 version. Its cheap and I don't need so much sitting around. Mixed this in April and I just had to mix a new batch 1 month ago. The April soil got me through lots of vegging and 3 rounds of flower. Plus factor is the price. Making my soil is cheap. All of my amendments cost $70USD. That isn't including the bags of soil, and its not including items I already had so add a little more $, still way cost effective for me. Lately, don't hate me, I have been throwing away my used soil. This is not tested, I really don't know whats in it, I didn't have time to experiment with that while the grow was getting on so well. Eventually I will have a batch of used soil tested to know whats getting eaten. I am sure that a reusable version with amended SS on top can be achieved. In the end I hope to throw away almost nothing. Just need time....oh snap.

All of my watering comes from water that is sitting out. I have never ph'd my water, and I only let it air out on its own. Each plant has its own 1 gal jug that keeps getting reused. Every water is 1/2gal in the tray and 1/2gal on top.

8 (4 or 2) Bags Soil 1.5+ Cubic Feet Each (With or Without Coco) Makes 12+ Cubic Feet
* I will eventually add Coco to my mix, but I haven't yet. I am using just straight bag soil.

2 (1 or 1/2)Bags Perlite : Soil Aeration

1cup (½ or ¼) Biochar

25lbs (12.5lbs or 6.25lbs) EarthWorm Castings : Nitrogen

5lbs (2.5lbs or 1.25lbs) High Phosphorus Bat Guano : nitrogen, Phosphorus

5lbs (2.5lbs or 1.25lbs) Bone Meal : Phosphorus and Calcium

5lbs (2.5lbs or 1.25lbs) Blood Meal : Nitrogen

5lbs (2.5lbs or 1.25lbs) Oyster Shell : Calcium

3lbs (1.5lbs or .75lbs = 12oz) Kelp : Nitrogen, Phosphorus, trace elements

3lbs (1.5lbs or .75lbs = 12oz) Alfalfa, Microbe food and Nitrogen

12oz (6oz or 3oz) Sea 90 : Magnesium, Sulfur, Calcium, trace minerals
* My current blend has Epson Salts instead of Sea-90. Sea-90 gives mg and cal + much more trace elements. I did think this soil was compacted perhaps, but my addition of EM-1 with every watering has loosened up the soil dramatically. After this round of SS I will make another batch with Sea-90 and no Epson.

2cups (1cup or ½cup) Azomite : Trace Minerals

2 tbsp (1 tbsp or ½ tbsp) Humic Acid : Improve Mineral Uptake, Soil Conditioner

1cup (½cup or ¼cup) GroKashi : Mycorrhizae

* An additional item I will add if I can find it is Hydrocorn, not Hydrocoton. Perlite floats to the surface so quickly that I would like something with a little more mass to give space deep in the soil. Hydrocorn also has a very high surface area for microbes.

Mix all ingredients in layers, do not mix all at once.

This means to add part of product and mix soil, do again, in 3 plus layers of mixing.

After mixing, water soil with 2-5 (even with the 1/4 batch I mix in 2+ gals of H2O) gallons of water + EM1. Keep soil in containers like garbage cans or plastic bins with lids. Allow to “cook”, or compost, for 30-60 days. A white fungus may appear on top of soil, this is expected and needed.

Mix at bottom 1/3 - 1/2 with plain potting soil, then top with plain potting soil. Do the same when transplanting.

With this mix my preference is to water with EM-1 every time. This is activated EM-1 so I add 2oz to 1gal of water. After doing this the soil has become much more loose.

Update

Last harvest netted 11oz. Had 5oz BSR, 2oz OG Kush, 3oz Orange Creamsicle, and 1oz of leftovers. Next week I'll drive to Ann Arbor to have 3 batches tested. Not bad with 480watts, next round looks to be better, tho

Before I painted pollen with the male I came down with a surprise kidney stone. Wrecked me for a minute and stalled out on pollinating. Threw away the male because the window of seed production became too short (maybe maybe not but I was too tired to find out).

Currently the BSR in the tent is back to falling over with 3 weeks left. One Orange Creamsicle is in flower, the last seed grown. We put 2 OG Kush in flower straight from a 1gal up pot into 7s and fresh super soil.

Flowering clones of BSR took, going strong. Veg of Orange Creamsicle is also real good. Second round of fans cut and they blew up.

We decided to not keep up OGK. The smoke isn't bad, but BSR is better. I do have a OGK teen+ clone I will try to get rid of.

New strain to add will be Lemon Pie. Friend of mine gave me 5 regulars to play with.

July 4th 2020

Hello 420ers! I have decided to come back and make a journal. My goal is to grow great weed while faking around here and there.

I originally made a spot under my stairs for growing. That worked out well but space limitations became annoying, so, during the Rona, I finally bought a 4x8 flower tent. My under the stairs spot is now all veg growth.

I don't have a fancy format for displaying ones jazz so here we go.

Medium : Sungro Horiculture Pro mix. I have dealt with most of my plants needs from my local greenhouse and this is the mix they use. I also like Pro-Mix HP. Everything I have used in-between did not have the best outcome (thats just for me).

Lights : Veg is a cheap LED and a Quantum Board LED. Flower is 2 240watt QBoards. One HLG and one china cheap. Just got a cheap set that consisted of the single and the double, upgrade was needed.

Nutrients : At first I was using Sea-90 mixed with Bu’s Blend tea. This was ok in the beginning, but the soil seemed to get real dense later on. I did not test so I don’t know exactly what happened. During the Rona I mixed a batch of Super Soil. It was a version of SubCool. The actual recipe was from Jinxproof. I changed items in the mix to go in a direction I thought would work. Making a highly mineralized SS to see if I can get high brix. Additions, and exemptions, include, removing epson salts, adding Sea-90, using a different mycorrhizae, and letting it compost with EM-1 (microbes). So far so good.

Containers : Young plants are 1gal, large plants are 7gal.

Strains : 4 flowering are Black Sugar Rose. In veg tent I am sexing 3 orange creamsicles, and 1 OG Kush. I do have another OG Kush that did show a pistil. Also, 8 clones are busy rooting from the BSR.

Schedule (feed/light/water) : I have not changed from the 18/6 yet. I would really like to change my times right now but that takes more planning. Flower is reg 12/12. Everytime I water I add EM-1. The flowering plants are/will be top dressed with super soil. Veg plants have super soil already mixed so same gig, just water and EM-1. Veg is watered when pots are light. I have not popped a plant for a root check yet. Flower is watered more often, but not TOO often.

Results (so far, hah) have been great. The super soil method began with my younger plants/new clones. In ⅓ of the pots I mixed half reg soil with my super soil. I then add regular soil to the top. All watering is with EM-1. At this moment I am in need of moving my larger clones into the flower room with their sisters. My young plants are crammed, they need space and a pruning. Once sex is determined all females will be up potted and cloned. I may be in trouble with my veg space but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I have just moved everything around and added the new lights. The blurple lights are from years ago. One was the first light I bought back in 2015. It unfortunately have a strip of LEDs go out right in the middle. The other light was the newest version of the same. They are identical and cheap. I kept the working one and left it right where it was. Broken goes in garbage and single QB went up. What a difference. The single outshines the blurple by far. Blurple color can be drowned out by the 3000k LED. I did turn down the QB a bit for heat reasons. So excited!

Now the interesting stuff is in the veg room. These are all with the water only method. All plants are seeds popped from my supply of dispensary stuff. I knew I was taking a gamble on what they were or what the genetics would do, but I have the space so WTH. My wife popped off one of the OGK leaves recently. She left it on a table in the room and I took it outside to do a brix test. This is what I found.

Whether this will stay high or fluctuate, I don't know. Its promising right now. The OC was at 10 today. I am not crying over that number.

This is the new light. Its from China and right off the gate I notice additions on the HLG that are more robust. Will the performance be the same? Dunno but I can't wait to find out.

I don't know how many plants I will flower. My plan is to run sets at different stages so I can achieve 1 harvest a month. My flowering have about a month left. I have a grower near me with some Pineapple Express so that will probably be the newest addition. A trade for some BSR perhaps.

Stay Frosty :passitleft::lot-o-toke:
Hello!!! I was wondering if you could maybe not so much as help but gives some tips as to the grow style of the sugar black rose, i recently popped a bean, she is doing very well, i was just wanting to know if there is anything i need to look out for...if she is temperamental at all of dont like certain nuts, or may need more of....

16060601483001945545465550014928.jpg

16060601711464849896722829867837.jpg

Hello!!! I was wondering if you could maybe not so much as help but gives some tips as to the grow style of the sugar black rose, i recently popped a bean, she is doing very well, i was just wanting to know if there is anything i need to look out for...if she is temperamental at all of dont like certain nuts, or may need more of....

My sugar has been so easy. I'm still playing with super soil which is working well with this strain. Very hardy for cloning. My current clones came from flowering plants, stuck with the strongest 3. This makes nice nugs if you defol the small stuff. Real nice smoke too. This plant has not be too temperamental on me. Yes I have had some janky leaves hear and there, nothing bad. Pretty much everything I have done has never jacked up my BSR. I say go with it. My only thought is to increase some top dressing/tea at the beginning of flower to keep it healthy throughout.

I'm out of sorts due to powdery mildew that came up in my flower tent. This was a first for me. I still finished the BSR, everything was washed in a peroxide mix, followed by baking soda/lemon juice, and then clean water. I threw away 3 mature plants. The mildew formed on my lone Orange Creamsicle. I couldn't even attempt to wash it,, and the 2 early flower OG Kush just couldn't go on with uncertainty. So, the tent was cleaned several times with peroxide, bleach, then some more peroxide. I still came out with 7+oz of my BSR. Cut me down tho with the extra culls, ugh. I do not like OG Kush, its fine to go away. I have 3 large OC from veg finally in flower. These will have a defol soon and then done. We are not crowding the flower tent at this time. Stressed me the fuck out. I'll be popping my Lemon Pie seeds soon. After that I'm really thinking about growing some Blue Dream again. Its been 5 years since I had some home grown BD.

Congrats on the harvest , nice little haul . Are you doing pheno hunts? Just curious . Can’t wait to see what’s next bud. I just started holding clones just incase I get something worth keeping and mass producing for myself. Hope all is well
Be safe play safe brother
What up Dean. I received some Lemon Pie seeds from a friend. I have 5 of them, regulars. We shall see what different pheno I get from them. I like crossing with pollen but I don’t want to fack with dudes. The space is still small and in the end I’ll possibly run double sets of strains.

1, 2, skip a few....

My Orange Creamsicle is in a 20 gal pot with 2 QB. She was my lone clone survivor, I had to go big. Flower started today and she is 3x3 right meow. Currently a few sets of clones are going to root soon, and our new batch of Lemon Pie was just up potted. I lost out on the BSR, but the LP has a nice indica leaves so it should fit in quite nicely. OC is just a great smoke. I don't know how much I'll cut out, maybe trimming tomorrow.

PXL_20210430_122103461.jpg
PXL_20210425_204139317.MP.jpg

Back
Top Bottom