Gaffles Perpetually Positive Adventures with Growing

Gaffle

July 4th 2020

Hello 420ers! I have decided to come back and make a journal. My goal is to grow great weed while faking around here and there.

I originally made a spot under my stairs for growing. That worked out well but space limitations became annoying, so, during the Rona, I finally bought a 4x8 flower tent. My under the stairs spot is now all veg growth.

I don't have a fancy format for displaying ones jazz so here we go.

Medium : Sungro Horiculture Pro mix. I have dealt with most of my plants needs from my local greenhouse and this is the mix they use. I also like Pro-Mix HP. Everything I have used in-between did not have the best outcome (thats just for me).

Lights : Veg is a cheap LED and a Quantum Board LED. Flower is 2 240watt QBoards. One HLG and one china cheap. Just got a cheap set that consisted of the single and the double, upgrade was needed.

Nutrients : At first I was using Sea-90 mixed with Bu’s Blend tea. This was ok in the beginning, but the soil seemed to get real dense later on. I did not test so I don’t know exactly what happened. During the Rona I mixed a batch of Super Soil. It was a version of SubCool. The actual recipe was from Jinxproof. I changed items in the mix to go in a direction I thought would work. Making a highly mineralized SS to see if I can get high brix. Additions, and exemptions, include, removing epson salts, adding Sea-90, using a different mycorrhizae, and letting it compost with EM-1 (microbes). So far so good.

Containers : Young plants are 1gal, large plants are 7gal.

Strains : 4 flowering are Black Sugar Rose. In veg tent I am sexing 3 orange creamsicles, and 1 OG Kush. I do have another OG Kush that did show a pistil. Also, 8 clones are busy rooting from the BSR.

Schedule (feed/light/water) : I have not changed from the 18/6 yet. I would really like to change my times right now but that takes more planning. Flower is reg 12/12. Everytime I water I add EM-1. The flowering plants are/will be top dressed with super soil. Veg plants have super soil already mixed so same gig, just water and EM-1. Veg is watered when pots are light. I have not popped a plant for a root check yet. Flower is watered more often, but not TOO often.

Results (so far, hah) have been great. The super soil method began with my younger plants/new clones. In ⅓ of the pots I mixed half reg soil with my super soil. I then add regular soil to the top. All watering is with EM-1. At this moment I am in need of moving my larger clones into the flower room with their sisters. My young plants are crammed, they need space and a pruning. Once sex is determined all females will be up potted and cloned. I may be in trouble with my veg space but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I have just moved everything around and added the new lights. The blurple lights are from years ago. One was the first light I bought back in 2015. It unfortunately have a strip of LEDs go out right in the middle. The other light was the newest version of the same. They are identical and cheap. I kept the working one and left it right where it was. Broken goes in garbage and single QB went up. What a difference. The single outshines the blurple by far. Blurple color can be drowned out by the 3000k LED. I did turn down the QB a bit for heat reasons. So excited!

Now the interesting stuff is in the veg room. These are all with the water only method. All plants are seeds popped from my supply of dispensary stuff. I knew I was taking a gamble on what they were or what the genetics would do, but I have the space so WTH. My wife popped off one of the OGK leaves recently. She left it on a table in the room and I took it outside to do a brix test. This is what I found.

Whether this will stay high or fluctuate, I don't know. Its promising right now. The OC was at 10 today. I am not crying over that number.

This is the new light. Its from China and right off the gate I notice additions on the HLG that are more robust. Will the performance be the same? Dunno but I can't wait to find out.

I don't know how many plants I will flower. My plan is to run sets at different stages so I can achieve 1 harvest a month. My flowering have about a month left. I have a grower near me with some Pineapple Express so that will probably be the newest addition. A trade for some BSR perhaps.

Stay Frosty :passitleft::lot-o-toke:

Tough call Tyson. The light output seems the same from both lights. Color is the same at 3000k. As of right now my cheap lights are a worthy addition. Heat is still an issue. I am toying with a light mover instead of more lights. I don't vent outside and I don't want to fak around with cooling.

I used a 400w HPS with a cool tube awhile ago. What a PITA. Not flexible, hard to move around, way more heat. Did a few grows then gave it away. I like the small size and lower power consumption of QB.

I run 3, 1000w HPS in a 10'x10' room, to each their own.

ROFL! No judging by me hommes.

My veg spot is roughly 3x5 with a sloping ceiling. Didn't take much to get hot. In that application the HLG beat the 400w for what I was working with.

According to internet bullshit, 4 QB at 480w are supposed to equal a single ended 1k bulb. I have read nothing on those actual comparisons. Are you thinking about replacing the whole tent? That's a lot of watts in a 10x10. Curiosity peaked and to your journal I go.

Haha, yup pretty much. The first tent is a veg tent and only runs a MH at 750w, the other 2 are for flower and run 1000w. I don't normally turn up the veg to 100%. The flower tents are also timed opposite each other so I only have 2 lights going at time. All 3 lights are connected to a single 6" fan that runs about 75% with a dimmer. With the silencer, its stealth quiet. Temps in the house are 70, temps in the room are 75, the veg tent stays 80-85, and the flowering tents start at 85 and I can drop one tent to 75 by putting thr suction end of the ducting in that tent. I use a portable AC to drop to 65 by harvest.
The tents are 40"x40", so that's about 90w per sqft.
The whole setup drains a constant 2 kw, which costs me around $100/month in electric, and that doesnt include the portable ac which is another kw.

Before this gets slapped into 'abandoned' I'll give a momentary bump.

My black sugar rose is a very hardy grow. Easy to clone and very nice smoke. After a long time I finally have a Orange Creamsicle and OG Kush in the tent. I might be at 4 weeks of flower.

Veg is now another OC and OG, both from seed and same age as flowering girls. There is also 3 BSR, 4 clones from flower OC, and 4 clones from OG. Just strutting around. I have some faking thrips that could go away. I'll get pics later.

Happy Labor Day!

Quick update with outdated photos! Doh!

The rooms are moving now. Veg is just one gal pots with 3 Orange Creamsicles and 3 OG Kush. Going to clone more of the Black Sugar Rose next week. BSR has been a fun perpetual grow. My 2 in late flower were up potted right at flower from 1s to 7s. I'm not great at estimating weight yet, last BSR gave me 7+ ounces for 2 plants. The Orange Creamsicle is a good sized plant with smaller nugs. Interested to see what those clones will do. OG Kush is so so sticky with very leafy colas. Purple tones are coming out. The 3 strains are very different.

These pics aren't from today. Tent now has 4 plants finishing and 5 fresh plants added, 1 OC, 1 OGK, and 3 BSR. I've only top dressed with super soil and watered 1gal + 2oz EM1. Very little maintenance.

Updated photos! These are from this morning. All flower plants have another week or so.

BSR is giving such nice colas, very dense and heavy

OG Kush is just a sticky mess. These colas are so leafy. I typically do not keep my fans with tricomes for anything. I may save a bunch this round being that the fans are so loaded with trics.

Orange Creamsicle is the largest with some tight cute little nugs. Both the OC and the OGK are from seed. Clones from these strains will be fun due to plant maturity.

These have been in for a week. This is a shot of my 3 BSR, 1 OC, and 1 OGK. OC and OGK are also from seed. Clones are from the stock in flower right now.

I'm still battling thrips, these little fackers are very annoying. A soap spray is set for the veg room to see if I can limit the infestation. Fresh plants in the flower have thrips so we will do a massive defol along with possibly a soap spray this early in flower. The next batch to go in the flower tent should have the bugs gone, smooth sailing after that. The flower plants had thrips but once the tricomes popped all over the fans I don't think that particular environment is friendly to the bugs. They just left all of the flower plants.

Wow! Went on a family rona vacation this weekend. Had a great and funny time on the west side of MI, later date on this. Left on Friday, watered all plants before hitting the road, and everything was fine. Came home to this....

My OG Kush from seed popped dude parts! None of these were here from Friday.

This freaking plant looked so good. I do not want to seed everything. I dunno...crossed OGK with BSR sounds ok in the head when I go to damage control, but I would have to cut the shit out of the plant for the least amount of pollen sites, seal a part of BSR and OGK in a plastic bag and hope for no setbacks (long sentence, I'm high). Pollinate one cola and such. Bah, dunno.

I may be cutting this facker down soon. Decisions decisions...

While my dude was forming I was doing this! Good ole MI salmon fishing. Haven't done this in a few years, good time even tho my waders filled up with water!

DSC07768.JPG

DSC07773.JPG

I still haven't cut the male, it's in my garage chilling. I am going to collect some pollen and paint it on 2 buds of BSR and OC. Cross of these may be groovy. Been awhile since I've made seeds. Never freaking know yo!

We are going to have some funky clones soon. The BSR is 2 weeks into flower and I took 5 clones with flower sites. As of this morning no one was laying down and leaves were up. Hopefully everything roots!

Did a tricome check and everything is ready IMO. Cloudy enough for me, I never wait for full amber. Perhaps a test of full cloudy vs amber clone to clone.

Screenshot_20201006-205200.png

Screenshot_20201006-205124.png

Screenshot_20201006-205041.png

Update, some of the girls got haircuts. Got rid of the fans and let light hit all of the flowering sites. If everything goes well these plants will be stacked.

Pics of the rest of the gang. I will up pot the clones into the 7gal pots my flower are currently in. My 2 BSR flower are the same age as the 3 larger BSR that just got defoiled. Flower BSR went from 1gal to 7gal and flowered, no veg time in 7gal. These other 3 chilled and got big. I will be crossing one OC and one BSR with my OGK dude. We have 3 females for stock, plus seeds from a previous cross, and I can't wait to add some of my own strains to the mix.

I made some activated EM1 today. This is the only additive, aside from top dressing with super soil, that I currently use. I add 2oz to 1 gallon for every watering. My soil is not technically a living soil, but adding microbes at every water keeps the soil active and airy. These are the water jugs I use. Water sits in these jugs so chlorine (not all) evaporates. Easy, 3oz of EM1, 3oz of molasses, 2 containers at 64ish oz each, and fill up with my sitting water. Takes a week or so to get going. You know it's done when the bottle gets fizzy. The microbes create CO2 (IIRC), and when disturbed and shaken the bottle fills up with bubbles as if you shook a 2 liter of pop. They blast when you remove the lid while a lot of liquid is in the jug, it gets better when the level goes down.

And now a look at my hilarious outdoor plant. It's ironic that this female went outdoors because I thought she was a dude. Grew just like a guy she did. She was neglected and left in a 1gal pot for awhile before being planted in the dirt. My dog nibbled on her a lot as well, oof. Well now she sits by the dude that remained hidden among all those ladies. Oh the comedy. Once in soil she just stopped. No growing, no height, no bushing, just same same same. Indoors is making up so no worries.

:ganjamon:

Love it buddie , killer set up a lot of space man, really friggin nice buddie . You seem to have a good handle on things , your plants look amazing , definatly tagging along on this one . We seem to be trying to grow the same way ish . It’s just hard to get the same stuff here in Canada as the states . Cheers brother . I need to invest in more qbs , the one I have I fell in love with
Have a good day play safe

Back
Top Bottom