Gang's Second (Box) Grow: CFL + LST + Soil

great job gangalicious!
I've been struggling starting my grow going in my cfl cab, and have gotten some great tips from this thread and many others! I've got one baby blueberry going, but I won't hijack this thread with details :)
keep up the good work fellow CO growers! I've been reading this and other forums for the past few months while I build my cab...it's great to see our community growing!

OMG great shots. Those Grape Ice are sooooo pretty. Im mad jealous bro. Jetsam is definitly holdin her own. She looks gorgeous like cyndi lauper in her prime :geek:

Keep up the stellar work Gang :bravo::goodjob::thumb:

Dro:reading420magazine:

Yeah, she's gorgeous like that! LOL And speaking of Grape Ice, I think the genetics could be Ice X Grape Kush. But I've also heard it could be something like Alaskan Ice X Grape Kush/Grape Ape/Grape Crush/Grape Haze . . .

That canopy is amazing! Beautiful trics, yum.

Thanks for stopping by and checkin' out the ladies. Just wait, trich heaven is on its way . . .

great job gangalicious!
I've been struggling starting my grow going in my cfl cab, and have gotten some great tips from this thread and many others! I've got one baby blueberry going, but I won't hijack this thread with details :)
keep up the good work fellow CO growers! I've been reading this and other forums for the past few months while I build my cab...it's great to see our community growing!

I feel your pain when you tell me of your cfl cab troubles. I have walked a mile in your moccasins, my friend. But yes, there are lots of great CFL journals out there. So we are not alone.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

DAY 36 UPDATE!

:welcome:

End of Week 5:
Jetsam: Jetsam is a pure joy in my life and there have been reports that she is smelling to high heaven! (no pun intended initially, but wth) I hope she's got enough vital energy in the few fan leaves she's developed to sustain her to the end. I've tried to avoid stressing her as much as possible, no LST and such, since she had a rough childhood.

I have not watered her in days and days tho. Her soil is retaining moisture for a long time. Idk, maybe more perlite next time. Otherwise, she looks perfectly healthy to me. Her next feeding should be in another day or so, and I'll give her about 3/4 strength of the bloom nutrient blend (to about 600ppm):

day034_014.JPG

day033_012.jpg

day033_015.jpg

Gaia: Gaia, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways . . . One cola, two colas, three . . . .

Gaia needs watering more frequently than Jetsam, every third or fourth day on average. Her pot fits perfectly in a 5-gallon bucket, I just recently realized, so watering is a snap, especially since I like to really douse her from time to time. Her next feeding will be a light to medium (2-3 tsp/gal) strength nute blend or whatever achieves a final solution concentration of dissolved solids of around 600ppm. I'm also debating brewing up a batch of high phosphorus guano soon. About every other watering is plain filtered water with 5-7ml/gal (~1 tsp/gal or a little more) organic molasses and 1-2 ml of organic kelp extract. I've discontinued use of epsom salts for blooming since the bloom formula's got some magnesium. 0.5% water soluble magnesium it says. Maybe from magnesium sulfate, but it doesn't say. Lots of mineral sulfates in their formula though, so I'm vigilant about the possibility of calcium sulfate or carbonates building up in the soil since my water filter allows the water to retain lots of dissolved calcium carbonate. This is part of the reason I'm limiting the concentration of these grow nutes and dousing her with kelp/molasses infused water on a regular basis.

Accurate pH measurement of a yellowish-brownish runoff or nutrient solution seems impossible to me with a pH test interpretation based on a color comparison chart, which is what I currently have. (Top of wish list: real laboratory quality pH meter or, really, any accurate meter). Still, it's good for periodically testing the tap water and ballpark estimates of the other solutions, I imagine. I hope. The problem is that pH is a base 10 logarithmic scale. A change of one pH unit means an order of magnitude - or ten times - change in the concentration of hydrogen (H+) ion (aka H3O+, or hydronium ion). The hydrogen/hydronium ion concentration is what pH measures. This is why so many growers make a big deal about pH - because it is a big deal. A change of two pH points means a 100 times change (ten times ten) in the concentration of hydrogen ions in solution.

Still, her runoff pH reads 6.5 by this goofy kit, and she's really looking good, so everything seems to be balancing out nicely. I'm not too worried though, because I'm using modest amounts of acid promoting nutes and because of the high carbonate content of the water and the oyster shell calcium in the FFOF. Also, I mixed that FFOF soil like a madman in a 5-gallon bucket before the transplant, mostly to break up some clumps, but now I'm hearing of FFOF "hot spots" too!

Anyhow, in the absence of more definitive pH measurements, I'm taking a more holistic approach and doing my best to make sure the soil microflora and everything remains in some sort of harmonious touchy-feely equilibrium. Still want that dang pH meter tho.

I am now only making minor adjustments to her LST restraints for more precise cola placement and I've removed a few restraints too. More wires will be coming off in the next few days I imagine. I've also trimmed a few lower flowering sites that would never see enough light to produce anything other than popcorn bud. Diverting bud resources to the tops. Most of her flowering mass will be produced in an area within a 6-7 inch range from the level of the lights.

Gaia (Day34pics):
day034_008.JPG

day034_008a.JPG

day034_009.JPG

:yahoo::peace:

Gaia is absolutley gorgeous.. All the budding sites alreaddy look nice and glittery, and its only day 37! Jetsam looks good too dude. Awesome description of their feedings too. don't worry about the PH too much, 6.5 is fine in soil.

Doin great gang!

here we gro again :welldone:

Mighty fine ladies I might add..

Both of your girls are beautiful, Gaia is amazing though. :welldone::yahoo

:peace: +rep

Gaia is absolutley gorgeous.. All the budding sites alreaddy look nice and glittery, and its only day 37! Jetsam looks good too dude. Awesome description of their feedings too. don't worry about the PH too much, 6.5 is fine in soil.

Doin great gang!

here we gro again :welldone:

Thanks, folks, for all the good vibes and such.

I'll be posting day 42 pics ASAP. Everything is looking pretty good. There is, however, a little purpling on some of Gaia's leaves and she is slightly pale compared to her color last week. Nighttime temps bottom out at 68F.

Everything is looking pretty good. There is, however, a little purpling on some of Gaia's leaves and she is slightly pale compared to her color last week. Nighttime temps bottom out at 68F.[/QUOTE]

Hey gang, Did you give Gaia her guano feeding as you mentioned above? Perhaps she could be wanting a little dose of some nutrients-could explain the purpling. But man, she looks gorgeous, so no worries I'm sure.:thumb:

End of Week 6 (Day 42):

:welcome:

Update: new puplish spots on some leaves. I'm not too worried since there is the word "Grape" in Grape Ice, so I'm thinking and hoping the purplish spots are genetic, but I'm not sure. It is appearing on only a few of the upper leaves, but everything still looks healthy. Overall, the temperatures for this grow are lower than they were for my previous grow, but nighttime temps are dipping to a low of only 67-69F.

Also, I was wondering if the purplish color could help to identify the "Grape" part of the Grape Ice strain, since no one has, to my knowledge, definitively identified the genetics.

I tried to capture the proper color with the camera, but this was the best I could get so far. It actually looks more reddish-purple than you see here:

day042gaia_003a.jpg

Showtime! Here's Gaia. A lot more of the pistils are changing, same as with Jetsam. I'm also beginning to hear the same "rustling of leaves" sound I heard last grow as the plants matured. This now happens every time I remove Gaia from the box and the tops kinda sway to and fro and brush up against one another. The first several weeks of flowering, she seemed much "softer," and even though the leaves were touching, they hardly made any sound at all. Everything seems to be "firming up" and filling in at an increased rate tho. . . . and the nature of the sway of Gaia's branches seems to indicate increased mass at the tops. These are gonna be some dense crystal-coated buds, I hope. Good grief, this is exciting!

I'm tellin' ya, these ladies are resin producing factories!
day042gaia_014.JPG

day042gaia_011.JPG

day042gaia_008.JPG

day042gaia_006.JPG

day042gaia_009.JPG

Jetsam:
day042jetsam_020.JPG

day042jetsam_021.JPG

day042jetsam_022.JPG

day042jetsam_026.JPG

:peace: Thanks for taking the time to visit my journal! Comments and questions appreciated, as always.

Everything is looking pretty good. There is, however, a little purpling on some of Gaia's leaves and she is slightly pale compared to her color last week. Nighttime temps bottom out at 68F.

Hey gang, Did you give Gaia her guano feeding as you mentioned above? Perhaps she could be wanting a little dose of some nutrients-could explain the purpling. But man, she looks gorgeous, so no worries I'm sure.:thumb:[/QUOTE]

Sorry above Gang! Couldn't get your words in a quote box. Anyway all good!!

Hey guys. I gave both Jetsam and Gaia a fairly hefty dose of high phosphorus guano at the beginning of flowering and her usual flowering solution has a bit of phosphorus too (N-P-K: 2-4-4). She's got about four weeks left to finish, give or take. Deficiency? or just genetics? Time for more guano?

WOW gang, look at thous buds, dude i wouldent be surprised if you dubbeld your yield of that one plant

Link! Yeah man, it's hard to tell, but Gaia may be able to produce (on her own) what both my plants produced last time. Seems for sure that the overall yield is gonna blow away last grow, plus I'm gonna let the trichs go a little more toward amber this time, so the extra time should help too.

I'm really wondering how much Jetsam is going to weigh after drying too tho. With about 4 weeks left, I think the time for "weight of haul" guessing is about to begin. Maybe a little early for all the guessing games, but I'm just too excited. Maybe if I could get a solid 1/2 oz bud from Jetsam and another 2.5-3oz from Gaia? Not really sure. Any preliminary guesses?

Link! Yeah man, it's hard to tell, but Gaia may be able to produce (on her own) what both my plants produced last time. Seems for sure that the overall yield is gonna blow away last grow, plus I'm gonna let the trichs go a little more toward amber this time, so the extra time should help too.

I'm really wondering how much Jetsam is going to weigh after drying too tho. With about 4 weeks left, I think the time for "weight of haul" guessing is about to begin. Maybe a little early for all the guessing games, but I'm just too excited. Maybe if I could get a solid 1/2 oz bud from Jetsam and another 2.5-3oz from Gaia? Not really sure. Any preliminary guesses?

I'm gonna guess 3.25 altogether. .5 from J and 2.75 from Gaia :goodluck:

what a canopy :bravo::bravo::bravo:
I think anyone that is trying to grow with cfls should give a look at your two threads. Amazing space and light management. :welldone::thumb:

damn bro!! now thats one hell of a job done w/ CFL'S..+rep

Thanks man. The CFLs have been a great alternative considering the limited space I have to grow in. Plus, the buds from the last grow were awesome.

I'm gonna guess 3.25 altogether. .5 from J and 2.75 from Gaia :goodluck:
what a canopy :bravo::bravo::bravo:
I think anyone that is trying to grow with cfls should give a look at your two threads. Amazing space and light management. :welldone::thumb:

Hey Dro. I think I'll be pretty happy if I haul in those kinds of numbers.

It's all about necessity. I think I've tweaked this grow cab a thousand times for temperatures, light tightness, air flow, filtration, and so on. At this point she's pretty much fully operational and I'm not making any more big changes since I have another, larger cab in the works . . .

Btw, high canopy temperatures are finally conquered with the last added 80mm intake fan to the left side of the box. Together with the 80mm fan on the right side, they keep the canopy nice and temperate all the way across. Right now the tops are at 81-82F at 3.5-4 inches from the lights. The other 120mm intake fan, the two 4" diameter passive intakes, and the 4 X 120mm exhaust fans don't hurt either. Nice negative pressure in there too. Maybe I can give her a name and open up a thread in the grow cab forum if I have time.

beautiful gangalicious! absolutely beautiful!

Thanks for stopping in quagland. And I see there is a link to click on this time . . . sweet!

Just saw this tonight on Gaia. It's on a few leaves, mainly on a couple of different branches. I had just fed her with a light dose of the bloom mix w/ some half-strength high phosphorus guano when I noticed it.

In the first pic on the lower leaves you can see the reddish-brownish-purplish color I had mentioned a few day ago. This was the reason for the additional guano this feeding. The colors in the photos are pretty much right on this time.

I may need a little guidance here. I'm off to the Plant Problem Solver!

:reading420magazine:

DSCF00178.jpg

DSCF000427.jpg

Back
Top Bottom