Gary Johnson Knows He'll be Labeled the "Pot Candidate"

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Presidential hopeful Gary Johnson knows his support for legalizing marijuana will be used against him by opponents of his quest for the GOP presidential nomination. The libertarian-leaning former Governor of New Mexico will announce his candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination on April 21st in New Hampshire.

Before delivering a speech in Denver, Colorado, Johnson told Fox News he is prepared to be attacked on the pot issue.

"I just want you to know I caught a lot of flack on this as governor, and I more than survived," Johnson said. "I've debated this issue more than any politician on the planet. And this is an issue that under the light of day does really well."

Johnson served as Governor of New Mexico from 1996 until 2002. He began advocating marijuana legalization during his second term when he realized the War on Drugs was inordinately consuming state and local resources.

"I wanted to crack down on drinking and driving in New Mexico," he said. "And I had conversations with law enforcement, the courts and the prisons. Basically all three said, 'We are so busy, our dockets are so full that if you want to have this kind of initiative you better give us some more money, more resources'"

Johnson says that half of the time and resources of state and local law enforcement, courts and prisons was being spent on drug related crime. To him it looked like just another failed government policy, throwing more and more money at a problem with little to show for it.

"People who have sold small amounts of drugs, which is actually still the majority of those behind bars...they've been caught and they've done it numerous times and been caught and now they're there on mandatory sentencing."

Johnson views that as government waste, which he believes conservatives should be against. "Why is it for Republicans that government messes up when it comes to all sorts of regulation of the economy, but they have it right when it comes to...drugs? The government has completely messed this up! From a conservative standpoint, A through Z, how can you not support the notion of a rational drug policy?"

When asked if he smoked marijuana in his youth, and if he inhaled, the former Governor answers unhesitatingly, "Yes I did, yeah I did. I have a very public record."

In fact Johnson has previously admitted using marijuana for medical purposes between 2005 and 2008. He says a caregiver gave it to him for pain he suffered as a result of a paragliding accident in which he broke several bones including one of his vertebrae. Medical marijuana was not legalized in New Mexico until 2007.

"I haven't had a drink of alcohol in 24 years. But having smoked marijuana and having drunk alcohol... there's a big difference between the two, and the difference is that marijuana is a lot safer than alcohol. It just doesn't have the negative behavioral consequences that alcohol does. And it will never be legal to smoke pot and become impaired and do harm to others. It'll never be legal to smoke pot and commit crime, just like alcohol."

The presidential hopeful also sees the failure of the war on drugs as the cause of most of the violence on America's southern border.

"You want to address this, legalize marijuana. Start with legalizing marijuana. Arguably 75 percent of the violence along the border with Mexico goes away. Don't you know when you hear about a killing along the border, the killing of a U.S. border patrol agent, it's drug related."

Johnson knows his position on this issue will overshadow his stands on others during the weeks ahead. "In this endeavor I'm going to be labeled the pot candidate. It's just, it's the reality. But I can't avoid it. I can't not talk about it, because then I'm avoiding it. But the reality is also, if I hang around it's going to shift. You can't be just talking about marijuana, which I'm not!"

And he seems to sincerely believe when it comes to legalizing marijuana, he is on the forefront of an issue that is at the tipping point.

"This is an issue when 46 percent of Americans support legalizing marijuana. Statistically, zero percent of politicians support legalizing marijuana. Before alcohol prohibition was repealed, not one single politician supported that notion. Immediately after it was repealed you could not find a politician that was not in support of that. I think this is a similar situation. This is one that is going to completely leave the politicians in the dust, totally."

NewsHawk: Jim Behr: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: foxnews.com
Author: Kelly David Burke
Copyright: 2011 FOX News Network, LLC.
Website: Gary Johnson Knows He'll be Labeled the "Pot Candidate"

He's got a lot more going for him besides the marijuana issue. He's a constitutionalist who doesn't believe in the neo-con empire, a fiscal conservative and a "you are free to do what you want but do no harm" libertarian.

Being a libertarian he would get my vote for president if he ran. I don't like voting for candidates based on one political position but I'm afraid thats what this country has become. And we have got to end this ridiculous drug war.

I like the sounds of this guy. That would be amazing if he bacame president

I lived in New Mexico when Johnson was Governor last time. He was awesome. One of the few politicos I've seen with the sack to admit he smoked bud AND inhaled back in the day. So much better than so many other 'leaders' more concerned about political embarassment than telling the truth or fixing the problem.

When it comes to winning, I judge he has about a snowball's chance in Hell, if that...I support him anyway. FYI, I'm far from a Republican. Was just impressed with the guy when he was Gov. My $0.02 :tokin:

Johnson certainly has a more sensible resume for President than Ron Paul, since he actually oversaw an executive position. I am unsure how much weight that carries as it is probably a technicality.

Both Paul and Johnson have great views on leaving people be, instead of the other politicos supporting the never ending escalation of police and swat raids over a plant. It would be fantastic to see a republican opposition supporting legalization, wouldn't that push the Democrats to start discussing Marijuana as well? They are supposed to be the progressive group......

I dunno, a Republican offering to give us more freedoms. Sounds like a trojan horse to me, both of them. Conservatives don't like change.
Look at all the bullshit with civil rights and gay rights that come from these people. The party of NO is just that. NO PROGRESS, NO POWER FOR THE PEOPLE.

Don't be a single issue voter.

I too lived in NM under Johnson and also under Bill Richardson. Yea, Johnson wasn't as bad as the other republicans we've had but Richardson made a difference that you can feel. Also, who passed the med mj law in NM?

I might agree with you if Paul and Johnson were conservatives but they are Libertarians. Just because the Republicans and Democrats have rigged the election process to favor them in a two party system, doesn't mean we the people have to ignore other perspectives.
As far as I'm concerned, except for a scant few, the only difference between a Democrat and a Republican is the spelling.
Look at what is going on right now with the budget talks. If anybody thinks these people have any interest in doing what is best for America and Americans, is deluding themselves.

Ron Paul and Gary Johnson are both republicans. There's a lot more difference than spelling between the 2 parties. While I agree they are both screwed up, the GOP represents about 10,000 people exclusively. the rest are sheep.

They are Republican in name only.
Both parties continue to wage war against drugs, so-called terrorism and liberty.
Both parties continue to ignore the Constitution, until it's useful to their argument.
Both parties continue to increase the size and scope of government.
Both parties continue to add to our deficit spending and mounting debt.
Both parties continue to eradicate our natural rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Which, by the way, is supposed to be the government's number one priority, to protect our individual rights.
And both parties continue to sell us out to the highest bidder.

They are Republican in name only.
Both parties continue to wage war against drugs, so-called terrorism and liberty.
Both parties continue to ignore the Constitution, until it's useful to their argument.
Both parties continue to increase the size and scope of government.
Both parties continue to add to our deficit spending and mounting debt.
Both parties continue to eradicate our natural rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Which, by the way, is supposed to be the government's number one priority, to protect our individual rights.
And both parties continue to sell us out to the highest bidder.

You said it. but we must participate. Complacency will only worsen the problems caused by our fucked up politicians. We can't give up the fight. I won't give up at least.....vote every chance you get and call your representatives and give them hell.

You said it. but we must participate. Complacency will only worsen the problems caused by our fucked up politicians. We can't give up the fight. I won't give up at least.....vote every chance you get and call your representatives and give them hell.

Oh, I agree. I know many apathetics who just don't want to be bothered with following what is going on. I've tried to encourage them to get involved but they are happy with their heads in the sand.

Back
Top Bottom